Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm referring to the fact that its all about him. When spring training and then the season starts, he'll be running his mouth to the press. Its all about him - that's my number one problem. Number two is, as he did in NY, he has no problem calling out players in the press instead of doing it man-to-man. Tito knew how to treat players like men and never engaged in that shit. I seriously doubt that in Boston, Valentine's M.O. will be in any way helpful.

Aside from the other issues you mentioned, has Valentine done anything to "hog" headlines. I haven't heard of it but then I don't follow the Red Sox. The little I'd heard is that he had tried to visit each player.

Gary Camera/Carter wasn't much better, so I can see why BoSox fans would not be terribly happy.

Mets yank credentials from reporter for critical reporting

http://mets.lohudblo...s-and-the-mets/

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Sad. When McCarver was one of the Mets announcers, they would complain about his comments.

My one hope is that the Madoff Trustee wins his case against Wilpon and his brother in law and they have to sell the team.

Mets yank credentials from reporter for critical reporting

http://mets.lohudblo...s-and-the-mets/

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Sad. When McCarver was one of the Mets announcers, they would complain about his comments.

My one hope is that the Madoff Trustee wins his case against Wilpon and his brother in law and they have to sell the team.

I can already imagine the chants of 'sell the team Wilpon, sell the team'. A shame, with an owner that's not broke they could do well. It looks like they want to be the East Coast version of the A's.

Aside from the other issues you mentioned, has Valentine done anything to "hog" headlines. I haven't heard of it but then I don't follow the Red Sox. The little I'd heard is that he had tried to visit each player.

Gary Camera/Carter wasn't much better, so I can see why BoSox fans would not be terribly happy.

You can be that way when you're one of the best catchers the game has ever seen!!!

Btw, your comment reeks of very bad timing. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You can be that way when you're one of the best catchers the game has ever seen!!!

Btw, your comment reeks of very bad timing. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Huh?

I'm talking about how Gary Carter was similar in hogging the headlines back in his playing days like Bobby Valentine was as well.

If you are a relative of Gary Carter, then my sincere condolences and wish for a speedy recovery. If not, I don't get the snide remark...unless you just want to argue.

Edited by GoodSpeak

To even mention Carter's hogging of headlines is pointless especially during this time in his life.

If anyone deserves to hog headlines, though, it is a player of his caliber. There's nothing worse than a shitty player trying to do same.

It's germane to the topic at hand.

He is a public figure.

It is the truth.

It is doubtful he visits this forum.

Edited by GoodSpeak

There's another Cuban baseball player in the mix other than Yeonis Cespedes. His name if Jorge Soler and he's just 19 years old. The Yankees, Phillies and Cubs are the current front runners. I'm guessing this kid's life is going to go from rags to riches in the very near future.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/323781-yankees-phillies-show-most-interest-in-soler?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a11

RIP

Gary Carter

Boy he caught a lot of games as a youngster with the Expos. One year he caught 152! I remember him before the perm and playing as much outfield as catching. The '81 strike year Expos were so close to making it to the big show, and you can't blame Gary for them not getting there. R.I.P.

Sorry to see Gary Carter lost his battle with brain cancer.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, should have to die that way...and at 57? Geez. I lost a colleague to that godammed disease two months ago. She was 57, too.

That is my age and it just scares the shit out of me.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Tim Wakefield has retired. As I recall, I saw him pitch for the Pirates against the Braves in Atlanta.

I may be wrong, but I think I saw him serve up Ryan Klesko's first major league home run that game.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/knuckleballer-tim-wakefield-retires-after-19-seasons/article2342245/

I think you can add A,J. to the list of pitchers who couldn't handle the City heat. Guys like Kenny Rogers, Javier Vasquez, Kevin Brown, Jeff Weaver and Carl Pavano. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Burnett bounce back in Pittsburgh. Probably not from a W-L standpoint but in terms of ERA and other, more esoteric pitching statistics.