Pony Poindexter, any fans?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to him tonight and wonder why he never made it big like other horn players. He is talented beyond words.

If you're looking for a nice recording with him, "Annie Ross & Pony Poindexter" is a great recording. Pony also played on some Lambert Hendricks & Ross recordings.

I consider Pony to have been a musical friend, and about as close a personal friend as we could be. (Read his autobiography to learn a bit more about the limits on such things. You'll also get some insight on why he never became "big".)

To pick one of his recordings as a fun/interesting example, I'd choose Pony's Express. Look at the musician lineup.

I'm not really of the mindset to go on right now about Pony; perhaps later. Complex cat.

Edited by BeBop

He said in his autobiography that he liked the life in Europe, but wasn't always satisfied with the sidemen. I saw him live with a local backup trio, and he was right ... his whole life was a combination of bad luck and circumstances, and, I think, lack of recognition for mainstream players during the turmoil of the 1960's and 70's.

I have had Pony Express and Plays the Big Ones for quite a while and concur on the former's standing to the latter. I also picked up a copy of Gumbo! w/Booker Ervin on Prestige recently.

It hasn't drawn me in yet but to be honest I haven't played it many times. I should give it a spin tonight and see what happens. :party:

Edited by six string

• 6 years later...
On 1.11.2011 at 9:15 PM, mikeweil said:

FWIW, here's a Pony Poindexter discography I compiled ... please contact me if anything is missing.

Disco Pony Poindexter.pdf

The download link doesn't work anymore - I'm in the process of typing all the data into BRIAN and will make it available again after I'm done. Added some new issues and details I found out in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, Pony Poindexter has never been a favorite of mine. One I do like is Pony’s Express mainly because it has many other saxophone players I like, and the arrangements are good.

When I think of the alto sax players I like, Pony comes far far down the list. I sense a certain shrillness to his sound, and I don’t find his solos to be interesting, though there are likely a few exceptions.

My comments are not in line with what others here have said, but it is just my personal opinion.

• 4 weeks later...