Who among us plays an instrument with the most modest of skills?

Dan Gould

I used to be able to play clarinet and saxophone at a reasonable skill level in high school (usually 2nd or 3rd chair out of 15 or so clarinets). I later picked up flute. I even joined the jazz band, but I found I just wasn't a good improviser. The chord changes and so forth weren't innate and frankly practicing just didn't make me better at playing jazz. I knew I wasn't going to cut it as a professional so didn't pursue music in college. I kept the instruments but don't play them much any more -- often only once or twice a year.

Cool that you're taking lessons from Steve Bradley, did you ever catch his 'Chamber music of the New Surf' (my term) gigs with Jim Mesi?

Wow, I'm surprised someone actually knew who this was. I go back to the early '70's when it comes to Bradley. We used to see him at the old White Eagle when he was fronting Steve Bradley & The Rhythm Tones. Then later at places like Frankenstein's or the Rock Creek Tavern when he was with The Sleazy Pieces. That was a great bar band. I used to see Mesi with Brown Sugar, a group that included two other local legends, Lloyd Jones and Paul DeLay. Never saw the surf show. I stopped going to clubs many years ago when the smoking was out of hand, so I missed a lot of local musicians and bands over the years. Now that smoking is banned in all public places in Oregon, I'm starting to get out a little more. Mesi is a monster on guitar. Crazy good.

I know Mesi better than Steve, thought the film about them captured their personalities well - Mesi is definitely the more tightly wound of the two. Too bad you missed the surf gig, it was several years running Th at Clydes Prime Rib - top of the hill on Sandy Blvd just before the light on 57th. Brown Sugar were indeed a great band, you have the picture sleeve EP where they all look like babies? I need to get out and see Jimi somewhere, as well as Dover @ Duff's on Tues, and maybe some new bands I'm not personally acquainted with...

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Took piano and trumpet lessons as a kid. Became far too cool (or so I thought) to continue with it during high school, but still sat down at the piano occasionally.

Probably a very common story, but rediscovered my interest in music after having kids. Wanted them to take piano lessons, so I started playing again as well. Started playing guitar around then, too, mainly rock and blues, but got very interested in jazz after a few years. Learned to read fairly well, and also managed to get some great jazz chord voicings under my fingers. Never really took it much further than that.

And Dan, you don't need "full barre" chords in jazz -- no need to play the root, and there are endless harmonic possibilities in just playing the 3's and 7's -- Freddie Green! smile.gif

Anyway, after messing with jazz guitar for about five years, I got kind of burned out on that, and decided that I always wanted to play drums. So, why not? Signed up for lessons with the one and only Randissimo, and he helped me get started on a wonderful journey.

I've been playing drums for a little over six years now, and I often think I'm completely insane for even attempting it. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything.

But, it's been huge fun. Met a whole bunch of interesting people, and have never ceased to be amazed by the kindness and encouragement from other musicians, both "amateur" and professional. While it has been very hard at times, I do believe it's never to late to start something new.

Was lucky enough to find a group of like-minded musicians to practice and play with... fairly poor video and audio quality, but here's an attempt at Sam Rivers' Beatrice.

I'm a self-taught guitarist, play everything by ear and never learned a lick of music theory (I tried on several occasions and failed horribly). I've been playing for over 20 years but I reached a certain level and never really made the next leap. It's cool, I enjoy it as a hobby, I may not be the most technically proficient player, but what I do play feels honest. That's the key as far as I'm concerned.

Shawn is down-playing his skills considerably. He's better than he's leading you to believe. He knows how to get a great sound as well.

I own a lot of instruments because I'm fascinated with sound, and the construction of instruments and the materials they're made from. I've never had any music lessons and I don't play anything "right."

I can be best at drums, and I was part of three different groups the second half of the eighties and performed some gigs and though I found "being in a band" a real trial, I learned a lot and had some fun. (And quite a bit of non-fun as well).

Before drums though I played around on piano, and I can play a few things, I'm best at what I've created myself, which are a few unexceptional compositions.

I love guitars and basses but I'm awful and am content at being awful. I love the creation of sound and texture on stringed instruments, both acoustic and electric. I play when I'm alone, the confidence and faith in what I play on drums has never been achieved on other instruments, although I did play the piano a bit with my late wife present and am beginning to play some guitar when my girlfriend is about, quite a metamorphosis for me. But I enjoy myself overall and playing music is sort of a meditative exercise for me.

Dan, I'm very happy you've returned to playing.

:)

Used to be my wife missed me for hanging out on the board, now she misses me for strumming the guitar every night.

Skid, barre chords aren't my only problem, any 7th chord involving the pinkie is a major problem but hopefully I'll strengthen it and be able to play those chords well. In the meantime though as long as its not an E to E7 progression, I'm going with the chords I can play. How's that for a substitution? ;)

Used to play guitar with the most basic of skills--took lessons for several months when I was a kid. Used to write songs on guitar from time to time, something I think I'd like to take up again... not to mention taking up guitar again as well. Have doodled around a bit on piano but never really learned to play (something else I'd like to do), and I have an alto sax tucked away in the closet, still vainly awaiting any kind of dedicated effort from me. Thanks for the thread--may help inspire me to return to these things. I think playing music, at whatever skill level, is enormously beneficial for one's mental health and creative state of mind. (Of course, playing it for a living is a whole 'nother ballgame!)

Used to be my wife missed me for hanging out on the board, now she misses me for strumming the guitar every night.

Skid, barre chords aren't my only problem, any 7th chord involving the pinkie is a major problem but hopefully I'll strengthen it and be able to play those chords well. In the meantime though as long as its not an E to E7 progression, I'm going with the chords I can play. How's that for a substitution? ;)

My wife would probably be happy if I went back to strumming the guitar instead of playing drums every night. :w:)

Keep at it, the pinkie thing will come. Playing with lighter gauge strings may help -- or a different guitar -- my Strat was always easier to play than my acoustic.

I had an alto saxophone twice in my life - at school and then again in my early twenties. Packed it in at school because I didn't really want to play it in the first place.

Took it up again years later - taught myself up to grade 5 (theory and practice). I think I finally got to know what "the changes" were, could even hear them, but could not play them. In 1995 I sat behind the saxophones section of a local big band at one of their rehearsals ("Shades of Kenton" I think the band was called - BillF - do you know of them?). Realised I couldn't read for toffee and packed it in on the spot.

I haven't regretted it for a second - there are enough things in life I'm no good at - why pick another?

Edited by rdavenport

I'll tell you one thing, don't underestimate the value of playing with other people. I get together with my brother and a mutual friend of ours every week or so. We take turns bringing the tabs to a song we want to work on and just have at it. We play for 2-3 hours, have a few beers and some laughs along the way. It's all good and it makes you better.

("Shades of Kenton" I think the band was called - BillF - do you know of them?).

Indeed I do! Never heard them play, but got talking to a guy a few years ago while leafing through jazz books in Waterstone's, Deansgate, Manchester. He told me he used to play piano with them (and double on trumpet when needed!) and that, following complaints/threats from Kenton's widow, the band had changed its name to simply The Shades Orchestra!

One advantage of getting back to playing in this day and age is the easy availability of music. Had no idea it was like that for sheet music as well as the recorded kind but hardly looking I've found about half a dozen country songs from the 90s that I used to spin at WTNT-Tallahassee and should be able to play based on the chords. :party:

One advantage of getting back to playing in this day and age is the easy availability of music. Had no idea it was like that for sheet music as well as the recorded kind but hardly looking I've found about half a dozen country songs from the 90s that I used to spin at WTNT-Tallahassee and should be able to play based on the chords. :party:

Dan,

Have a look at some of the websites that specialize in guitar tablature. One I use a fair amount is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com. Just enter the name of the song in the search field.

Edited by Dave James

• 1 month later...

I am proud to announce that having mastered two Jimmy Buffett tunes, I am now eligible to be licensed by the state of Florida and certified as qualified to play music publicly in the state of Florida within earshot of tourists who, by state law, must be serenaded by at least two Jimmy Buffett songs per hour.

I'm so proud. :unsure: :unsure:

Something else along the lines of skill building is accessing the back up tracks that are available on YouTube. Lots of blues and rock tracks provided in different keys. It's fun to play lead parts over the chord changes AND if you make mistakes, no one's around to hear them. A win win situation.

Edited by Dave James

I am proud to announce that having mastered two Jimmy Buffett tunes, I am now eligible to be licensed by the state of Florida and certified as qualified to play music publicly in the state of Florida within earshot of tourists who, by state law, must be serenaded by at least two Jimmy Buffett songs per hour.

I'm so proud. :unsure: :unsure:

I guess that a combination of Florida's reputation for ridiculous laws combined with the ubiquity of Buffett cover bands made this post seem plausibly serious.

For the record, Florida does not require that public music performers be licensed, and there is no obligation that they prove that they can play at least two Jimmy Buffett tunes. It just seems that way.

But I can play "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" and "Cowboy In The Jungle". :g

Edited by Dan Gould

• 7 months later...

Well I've just become the guitar-playing fool ... and I'm even playing those barre chords like F#m (wow does that show up in country music), B and G#m. Still not doing so well with the 7th chord pinkie thing though. But just in the last week I've picked up:

Brown Eyed Girl

Billy Joel, Matter of Trust

Jim Croce, I've Got a Name - with the original chord progression, not some simplification

Oh, sorry I missed this thread first time around.

I play(ed) guitar. More so back in the day than now. I can strum a few tunes, pick a little blues, but it wouldn't entertain anyone beyond myself. And even that's a stretch after about 20 minutes or so.

Took alto sax lessons about five years ago and had one for a while. Learned to read a bit, but not much. I'm fairly good at picking things up by ear, so I could fake my way through songs like 'Sweet Lorraine,' 'Over the Rainbow,' 'After You've Gone.' Could growl a little blues, too. And, of course, my Brotzmann imitations were classic.

I now have a clarinet, which I've "played" for about three years since trading in the sax. It's a lot more fun for me to play and I can manage to fake my way through songs like 'When You're Smiling,' 'The Entertainer,' 'Sweet Georgia Brown,' 'Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans,' 'When the Saints Go Marching In.' Etc.

As an amateur "musician," the problem I've always had no matter the instrument is that I hit a level of playing and that's it. The end. I know I won't get any better. So it's easy to get bored and let weeks, or months, or years in the case of guitar, go by without feeling the impulse to play.

I'm a little better in that regard with the clarinet. As I said, it's just fun to play.

Edited by papsrus

I sort of feel the same way, James, in the sense that on the tougher chord changes, my fingers aren't necessarily getting better or quicker so I am not improving as much as I'd like. But I'm still loving it so I keep going for it and/or looking for new tunes to see if there are chords I can handle.

And there's no doubt in my mind that playing the guitar is much better for my general happiness than watching the Red Sox.

Also missed this thread the first time around.

I dabbled in a number of things here and there, mostly as a kid -- but when push came to shove, the only thing I was the least bit skilled at was choral singing (baritone). Thus my only claim to (lack of) fame was that I sang in a professional symphony chorus for almost 10 years (Kansas City Symphony Chorus).

I also played piano as a kid from about the age of 6 until about 14 (I never liked it much, and never got as far as I should have gotten by that age). Also, took a semester of jazz piano in college, but also didn't give that much effort either, I'm afraid.

Played Clarinet (poorly) for a couple years in grade-school (about ages 11-13), including about a year of Bass Clarinet, and a couple months of oboe (I was truly horrid on Oboe).

I do love singing (especially choral singing), and really love the big, late Romantic era works, and early 20th Century thorniness even more!!

I sort of feel the same way, James, in the sense that on the tougher chord changes, my fingers aren't necessarily getting better or quicker so I am not improving as much as I'd like. But I'm still loving it so I keep going for it and/or looking for new tunes to see if there are chords I can handle.

And there's no doubt in my mind that playing the guitar is much better for my general happiness than watching the Red Sox.

What I would really enjoy is playing WITH someone else, preferably someone at the same basic level. The instrument wouldn't matter too much. Just someone to play off of.

There's a guy at work (a die-hard Red Sox fan, as it happens) who played trumpet in his high school band, and he still has one. I keep trying to nudge him to pick it up again so we can go out and busk on some street corner. He's more of a Maynard Ferguson, Doc Severinsen guy than a muted, soft-toned guy though. He'd probably blast me out of the room if we ever did manage to get together.