Marchel Ivery

AfricaBrass

I've been listening to him quite a bit lately. I first heard of him on a thread on the BNBB about players who BN should sign. I think it was Kevin B who mentioned him. Thanks to half.com, I was able to pick up his 3 cds on the Leaning House label a while back. The allmusic site says he's from Dallas.

Do you guys know anything about him, or any other cds he has or plays on?

About four months ago I saw Marchel perform in Dallas. It was one of the best musical events for me for about a decade. Of course I've been starving for real jazz performances here in Austin, and that was likely one reason why I was so fulfilled by this one. But as you can tell from the cds that you have, Mr. Ivery is more than the real deal, he's a real strong hand dealt from the real deal deck. And his band, which includes friends of Jim Sangrey's (Lyle and Andrew) and a penpal and friend of mine (Andrew) is a tremendous one.

All the best to Marchel and his men!

Marchel was the first REAL jazz musician I got to know personally. He was a hero then, and he'll remain one until the day I die. The Leaning House CDs are excellent, but hearing him live on a REALLY good nite is even better.

Tell you what - the nites back in the 70s when I got to hear Marchel & James Clay jamming w/Red Garland at a dump called The Recovery Room are nites that only my wife has been able to equal, if you get my drift...

Marchel is definitely the real deal. I had the pleasure to be present recently when he invited Shelly Carroll ( another fine Texas tenor ) to the bandstand. What a treat watching them exchange licks. It may not have equaled Jim's experience watching Marchel play with James Clay( who I only wish I could have seen perform live) but it was great nonetheless. :D