sickening penn state football allegations

I'm reserving judgment on that one. Freeh was the worst FBI director in recent memory and one who was much more interested in playing bureaucratic games than he was in doing the FBI's job. If I wanted to pick someone who would give the veneer of an independent investigation while giving me a good chance of actually running a wink-and-nod whitewash, Freeh might be high on my list.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reserving judgment on that one. Freeh was the worst FBI director in recent memory and one who was much more interested in playing bureaucratic games than he was in doing the FBI's job. If I wanted to pick someone who would give the veneer of an independent investigation while giving me a good chance of actually running a wink-and-nod whitewash, Freeh might be high on my list.

you nailed it!!!!!

In other words, Paterno's actions were not criminal, just morally reprehensible.

Only if reporting an allegation of sexual misconduct with a minor can be considered morally reprehensible.

And maybe now we can get at the truth of the whole matter.

But please note: Paterno is not named nor was he a part of the cover-up according to the article. In fact, Paterno did what he was supposed to do:

Paterno testified before a grand jury that McQueary was "very upset" and said he saw Sandusky "doing something with a youngster. It was a sexual nature," according to a transcript. Paterno testified he told his boss, Curley. Curley and Schultz contacted McQueary about a week and half later about the incident.

In an alleged e-mail dated February 26, 2001, Schultz writes to Curley that he assumes Curley's "got the ball" about a three-part plan to "talk with the subject asap regarding the future appropriate use of the University facility," ... "contacting the chair of the charitable organization" and "contacting the Department of Welfare," according to a source with knowledge of the case.

Further, according to Pennsylvania law, Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do which was to report to his boss and they must do this:

Pennsylvania law requires suspected child abuse be reported to outside authorities, including the state's child welfare agencies.

Then, according to the article, Curley and the other Penn State authorities decided to not notify authorities and instead try to cover it all up with a "more humane" way of dealing with it all.

Again, Paterno was not a part of any of that.

The trial, of course, will reveal more, I am certain.

Is not the whole purpose of a "Mandated Reporter" is that you are to report to the police, not to your supervisor alone? That's always been my understanding, and I've always told my employees that also -- that it is not me who makes the determination whether you report or not to the police, that the person is required by law to file a report themselves. I could be wrong....

Not if you want an air-tight case for conviction.

The mandated reporter must go through the proper channels. This way the molester's defense attorney can't wriggle out from under the charge by claiming some sort breach of the law and get his client off on a technicality. It also protects the rights of the child by creating a paper trail used by the prosecution to file charges against the attacker and/or protect the victim from retaliation.

Procedures must be followed to the letter or the guy could walk away free or worse, the victim continues to be molested or even beaten for ratting the bastard out. It also protects the mandated reporter from retaliation.

Forensics and criminal procedures follow the very same protocol. The more checks and balances and investigative reporting you have the easier it is to convict. Otherwise, it's just your word against the attacker's. After all, the goal is to put the criminal behind bars. True?

Note: For those who think this is giving Joe Paterno a free pass, they apparently do not understand how the law of the land must be satisfied in order to convict the real criminal. Curley, Schultz, et al didn't follow through, they violated the law and enabled that dirtball to continue molesting kids.

have you read of the emails that cnn recently saw?

new information

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I'm closing this thread until the mods have time to clean it up. I want all personal attacks and non-topical posts removed. If y'all have beefs with each other than you can use the PM system. Or better yet email. Or even better than that, man up and call each other on the phone. Launching verbal bombs publicly via this forum is lame.