sickening penn state football allegations

Here's some major irony for your early Thursday morning. Paterno has Krzyzewski-like relationship with Nike and has had for years. As is being reported this morning locally, the Joe Paterno Center For Child Development is housed on the Nike campus in Beaverton, Oregon.

I see thee was some rioting at Penn State last night as students took to the streets to protest the firing of their football coach. Hard to believe. If any of these morons put the welfare children ahead of their precious football team and its coach, they'd either be studying or asleep in their dorm rooms. Talk about misplaced priorities.

One thing for sure. The game with Nebraska on Saturday should be pretty interesting on a number of different levels.

So you're still laboring under the delusion this is about PSU Football? Really?

This is about a man who is being scapegoated for a crime he did not commit and because his name is bigger than all the rest of the jackasses involved...including the molester himself.

Trust me, he had much more power than the President of the University. Real power. He was not a figurehead. He has implanted a sick, macho mentality into the heads of many a Pennsylvania farm boy. Sandusky was an extension of Paterno. However, Paterno is guilty of a much more overriding and long lasting crime --- that of making sports more important than life. I have seen this up close and personal, as I've been hinting at all along. Keep up, man. You're like 4 or 5 thought processes behind me!

I don't disagree that this mentality exists...hell, we have that here at the HS where I teach. Both my kids have had to deal with it. It disgusts me.

However, the guilty and the PSU officials who turned a blind eye to Sandusky are the ones ! fault for this. As should all of you, as well.

I'll work on keeping up, thought process-wise, OK? ^_^

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step away, homey. How you could draw that conclusion from what I wrote is beyond me. This isn't about Penn State football at all. It's about child abuse. Just curious. Has it occurred to you that not a single member of this board buys into what you're saying. The people who walk and talk these halls and walls are not your average run-of-the-mill knuckleheads. It's a fairly bright bunch. That by itself should make you question and/or reassess your position.

A conscience can only be clear if it exists.

No worries here.

On another note, if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

Only if you want it to it will.

Step away, homey. How you could draw that conclusion from what I wrote is beyond me. This isn't about Penn State football at all. It's about child abuse. Just curious. Has it occurred to you that not a single member of this board buys into what you're saying. The people who walk and talk these halls and walls are not your average run-of-the-mill knuckleheads. It's a fairly bright bunch. That by itself should make you question and/or reassess your position.

Even "bright" people can be wrong, Dave.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

The outrage stems from the fact that the accused pedophile rapist was allowed to remain on staff. If Paterno had any knowledge of the accusations, he should have immediately put that individual on leave until the accusation could be either cleared or proven. So we've got a witness who neither attempted to save a child from being raped with physical force or place a call to the proper authorities (hello, the police); an administrator who didn't conduct a proper investigation (involving the police) and the removal of the accused; and a head coach who kept a man on his staff despite the extremest of accusations against that man.

That Paterno offered that he "should have done more in hindsight" is an admission that he knew of the accusations and permitted the accused to remain on his staff. Same goes for the administrator. Hence, both are out.

And I will happily align myself with any college student with the huevos to stand up for a man wrongly accused and fired for child molestation...any day of the week. My conscience is clear.

Was Joe Paterno "wrongly accused and fired for child molestation"? - your words. Perhaps you know something the rest of us don't know.

What are these kids rioting about at Penn State? The football coach getting fired? They probably don't represent the majority of students at PSU. In College Park the frat boys riot whether the U of Maryland beats Duke in basketball OR loses!

When you attend Penn State, you are taught to revere the almighty Paterno. So yes, the rioters DO represent the majority of the students there, if not the totality! Get it?

The outrage stems from the fact that the accused pedophile rapist was allowed to remain on staff. If Paterno had any knowledge of the accusations, he should have immediately put that individual on leave until the accusation could be either cleared or proven. So we've got a witness who neither attempted to save a child from being raped with physical force or place a call to the proper authorities (hello, the police); an administrator who didn't conduct a proper investigation (involving the police) and the removal of the accused; and a head coach who kept a man on his staff despite the extremest of accusations against that man.

That Paterno offered that he "should have done more in hindsight" is an admission that he knew of the accusations and permitted the accused to remain on his staff. Same goes for the administrator. Hence, both are out.

You're woefully misinformed, Jon.

These are the facts:

In 1998, Sandusky was accused of molestation. Nothing came of it but he retired shortly thereafter at the age of 55, in his coaching prime, and never pursued another coaching spot in college or the pros (we know why he was so much more interested in running his "charity"), this despite the fact he had previously been regarded as Paterno's likely succesor and certainly as potential head coach elsewhere if he pursued it.

So in 2002, when the events that ultimately led to this current scandal happened, Sandusky was not on staff, but he did have full access to university and team facilities. In the wake of the graduate assistant report of what he saw, Sandusky was simply banned from the facilities.

So really there are two issues here:

It sounds like in 1998 Penn State knew what his predilictions were, and simply wanted him off the staff, kids be damned. Did he go back to the charity because other schools heard whispering about him?

In the same way, in 2002, Penn State essentially said to him "whatever you do to those kids, don't do it on our property again."

Shameful.

What strikes me about this scandal is the total absence of any women at any point in the decision-making process. Football, testosterone, alpha males, and dim-witted coverups seem to be abundant, but females--not so much. The board of trustees would do well to notice this fact, but they probably won't, since they themselves are overwhelmingly male.

You're woefully misinformed, Jon.

These are the facts:

In 1998, Sandusky was accused of molestation. Nothing came of it but he retired shortly thereafter at the age of 55, in his coaching prime, and never pursued another coaching spot in college or the pros (we know why he was so much more interested in running his "charity"), this despite the fact he had previously been regarded as Paterno's likely succesor and certainly as potential head coach elsewhere if he pursued it.

So in 2002, when the events that ultimately led to this current scandal happened, Sandusky was not on staff, but he did have full access to university and team facilities. In the wake of the graduate assistant report of what he saw, Sandusky was simply banned from the facilities.

So really there are two issues here:

It sounds like in 1998 Penn State knew what his predilictions were, and simply wanted him off the staff, kids be damned. Did he go back to the charity because other schools heard whispering about him?

In the same way, in 2002, Penn State essentially said to him "whatever you do to those kids, don't do it on our property again."

Shameful.

Thanks Dan.

And I will happily align myself with any college student with the huevos to stand up for a man wrongly accused and fired for child molestation...any day of the week. My conscience is clear.

Was Joe Paterno "wrongly accused and fired for child molestation"? - your words. Perhaps you know something the rest of us don't know.

Most of what he knows the rest of us don't.

This wasn't something like shoplifting, ya know. Sure the witness should have gone straight to the police, but anybody in a position of authority aware of the accusations should have too if their authority/responsibility is to mean anything beyond a paycheck. The firings were correct and just, the rioting students are immature jerks without a properly developed moral worldview, and Goodspeak remains Goodspeak.

Most of what he knows the rest of us don't.

This wasn't something like shoplifting, ya know. Sure the witness should have gone straight to the police, but anybody in a position of authority aware of the accusations should have too if their authority/responsibility is to mean anything beyond a paycheck. The firings were correct and just, the rioting students are immature jerks without a properly developed moral worldview, and Goodspeak remains Goodspeak.

And it is a good thing, Pete.

Otherwise, the prevailing attitude of "he should have been able to know what would happen ten years into the future" would become status quo. Somebody needs to point out the grim realities regarding child abuse reporting and who is really at fault.

Again, the Salem Witch Trials should have taught us that much.

And it is a good thing, Pete.

Otherwise, the prevailing attitude of "he should have been able to know what would happen ten years into the future" would become status quo. Somebody needs to point out the grim realities regarding child abuse reporting and who is really at fault.

Again, the Salem Witch Trials should have taught us that much.

As usual I have no idea what you're trying to say.

this is going to get worse before it gets better.

word on the street in pennsylvania now is that the second mile foundation pimped boys out to wealthy donors.

sandusky is free on $100,000 bail.

http://www.nytimes.c...strictattorneys

Questions on Sandusky Are Wrapped in a 2005 Mystery

By KEN BELSON

Wow....Sandusky should do his victims and the world a favor and kill himself. Creating a foundation to help troubled youth , then going out of your way to harm them, is about as evil as it gets.

And the D.A. just.....disappeared????

What strikes me about this scandal is the total absence of any women at any point in the decision-making process. Football, testosterone, alpha males, and dim-witted coverups seem to be abundant, but females--not so much. The board of trustees would do well to notice this fact, but they probably won't, since they themselves are overwhelmingly male.

Not quite... the PA State Attorney General who is prosecuting the Sandusky abuse case is a woman. (Though I should note that Tom Corbett - now governor - was the original State Attorney General on the case.)

McQueary, Curley and Schultz should all have been fired last night, too - the fact that that didn't happen says a great deal to validate what you've just said about King Football, testosterone, etc.

As for the students who rioted, they rioted earlier this year, after the announcement of Osama Bin Laden's death.

There was no news coverage of the candlelight vigils and quiet demonstrations that took place on campus last night; only of the rioters. So the picture is a bit skewed. But... are we disgusted here?

hell yes.

Edited by seeline

http://articles.phil...usky-grand-jury

November 09, 2011|By Jon Schmitz, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

pixel.gif

• 20111109_inq_ssecond09-a.JPG

Former coach Jerry Sandusky is charged with sexually assaulting eight boys from the… (DAVID SWANSON / Staff Photographer)

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - The investigation into sex-abuse allegations against former Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky is examining the role of parties not charged in the case whose actions, or lack thereof, may have delayed intervention by law enforcement.

That includes top officials at the Second Mile, the nonprofit organization that Sandusky founded and, authorities allege, used to make contact with the children he victimized.

Sandusky has been charged with sexually assaulting eight boys who participated in the Second Mile, a program for troubled youth. Also facing charges are two Penn State officials, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president of business and finance Gary Schultz. Prosecutors say they failed to report a 2002 incident involving one of the children and later provided false information to a grand jury. Attorneys for all three have denied wrongdoing by their clients.

State Attorney General Linda Kelly on Monday said the investigation was continuing and that more charges were possible.

An investigator in the case said Tuesday that "a lot of entities besides Penn State University had a hand in this."

In a statement Monday, the Second Mile said it immediately ended Sandusky's contact with children in the program after he told them in 2008 that he was under investigation for alleged sexual contact with a child, an allegation he told the organization was false.

That, however, was at least the third time in 10 years that the organization had been made aware of allegations involving Sandusky's contacts with children. The organization knew in 1998 that Sandusky was investigated for alleged sexual misconduct in a Penn State shower involving a different boy from the program, according to a presentment by a statewide investigating grand jury.

State College lawyer Wendell V. Courtney was apprised of the investigation in 1998 because he was counsel for Penn State and the Second Mile. He has not responded to interview requests. That investigation, by university police, was closed when the Centre County District Attorney's Office decided not to file charges.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

word on the street in pennsylvania now is that the second mile foundation pimped boys out to wealthy donors.

By KEN BELSON

Wow....Sandusky should do his victims and the world a favor and kill himself. Creating a foundation to help troubled youth , then going out of your way to harm them, is about as evil as it gets.

And the D.A. just.....disappeared????

The foundation is a way to keep up a steady supply of young boys, much like you may find molesters working as sports coaches for kids, etc.

By KEN BELSON

I think the situation is sordid enough without printing inflammatory "word" from some mythical Pennsylvania "street" about Sandusky running a pedophile prostitution ring.

It is hard to know what precisely one would do in that situation in the generic. I'm pretty sure I would have gone to the police unless I actually saw Paterno (or whomever McQueary talked to first) pick up the phone himself. But that's because I have always been a bit of an egoist, willing to buck the chain of command. Sadly, many people are not.

Anyway, I do wonder what some of the other football "greats" would have done when this landed on their desk. I can definitely imagine some coaches covering it up or letting the buck stop somewhere else. I'm pretty sure Woody Hayes or Bo Schembechler would have gone to police, but it is all speculative. Sad thing is that Joe Paterno was from that school of old-timers who supposedly always did the right thing, and he certainly did not.

What sticks in my mind is that the graduate assistant had the greatest personal failure. He heard what sounded like sexual activity in the showers. But Sandusky wasn't boffing an 18 year old cheerleader, he was raping a ten year old, and the assistant could see all of these facts.

How could he not physically intervene and stop it? If you physically stop the assault, restrain Sandusky and call the cops, there are no repercussions. There's no cover up. The kid is scarred for life but at least some adult stopped what was happening. But when the kid tells the cops what was done to him, and you have the physical evidence of sexual assault, its Game, Set and Match. Retaliation by anyone, including Paterno, would never happen.

McCreery failed in the biggest moment of his life. Following up the day after doesn't alter that.

What sticks in my mind is that the graduate assistant had the greatest personal failure. He heard what sounded like sexual activity in the showers. But Sandusky wasn't boffing an 18 year old cheerleader, he was raping a ten year old, and the assistant could see all of these facts.

How could he not physically intervene and stop it? If you physically stop the assault, restrain Sandusky and call the cops, there are no repercussions. There's no cover up. The kid is scarred for life but at least some adult stopped what was happening. But when the kid tells the cops what was done to him, and you have the physical evidence of sexual assault, its Game, Set and Match. Retaliation by anyone, including Paterno, would never happen.

McCreery failed in the biggest moment of his life. Following up the day after doesn't alter that.

Oh for heaven's sake. Like you would be in any way mentally or emotionally prepared for walking into your college team locker room and see a guy you've known and probably looked up to for half your life doing what Sandusky was doing. McQueary's reaction in the moment was regrettable but let's not pretend that it wasn't within the range of "normal" human responses to seeing what he saw.