Impulse 50th Anniversary

David Ayers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stitt it's silly that you'll have to buy a 50 (!) CD set to get these!

In cases like this I buy the box, sell the older duplicates and both make some money back and free up some space. Par for the course for long-time jazz collectors!

I've never wanted to get into all that hassle with selling stuff... some discs have scratches, some digipacks don't look like new. Too much work there, I think!

And frankly the market for used CDs has collapsed, esp. for titles like More Blues and the Abstract Truth and some of the common Coltrane titles. You'll end up more or less giving them away to the used CD shops.

Not a bad pre-order price at Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ORVN1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

For those outside Europe, after VAT is deducted, that is a little over $2.50 per CD. Pretty sure I could sell any duplicates at that price or higher to Disk Union here in Tokyo.

You could also check that against MDT, though I guess amazon work out better on shipping: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_December11_Jazz_World_Nostalgia_Audio_Books/2777143.htm

Instore at UK HMV these are going at 2 for £10.

When was the last time such refreshing reissues appeared as an instore item from a major?

Oh and Miles 65-68 box for £12 instore. They are practically giving it away...

SORRY GUYS WRONG THREAD THIS WAS MEANT FOR 2 ALBUMS-ON-ONE-CD THREAD. VERY SORRY.

Edited by David Ayers

Oh sorry I posted in the wrong Impulse thread! I meant to post in the 2for1 reissue thread. Damn, sorry if I mislead anyone...

Ubu send me your list and if I see them at Fopp as singles I'll buy them. It's an off-chance but it has happened before.

PS if I do find them they will be cheap so send a full list, don't hold back.

Edited by David Ayers

I'd love to be able to get single one from this set... any online retailers offering them in their own?

Do we know what the packaging is going to be yet? Will it be possible to break the set up in some practical way?

No we don't know, and I just saw amazon.co.uk put the release date back to 17 January, so it could be some time before we find out!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

they've got a website, too - but nothing there on the box (nothing much there anyway except for fancy looks):

http://www.impulse50.com/

But HMV Japan has a small pic:

042.jpg

and CDUniverse has a partial tracklist (up to disc 21):

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8620770&style=music&fulltracklist=T

anyway, at that price there's probably not close enough new stuff in there for me ...

I preordered it on amazon.de along with an item with a 2014 release date so it won't ship immediately on release. It might be an item of interest, but I will await reviews before I let this thing ship. If this contains Impulse Originals style remasters, then no thanks.

Edited by erwbol

I preordered it on amazon.de along with an item with a 2014 release date so it won't ship immediately on release. It might be an item of interest, but I will await reviews before I let this thing ship. If this contains Impulse Originals style remasters, then no thanks.

Not sure that strategy will work - they might ship this when it's available, rather than wait (they have the tendendcy to ship larger sets separately anway - they might come from different warehouses, whatever ...)

Not sure that strategy will work - they might ship this when it's available, rather than wait (they have the tendendcy to ship larger sets separately anway - they might come from different warehouses, whatever ...)

Yup, Amazon will ship items separately even if you choose the 'ship all items together in one package' option. It happens to me all the time with orders for multiple CDs that are all in stock and available... i'm pretty sure i've made orders where i've combined in stock stuff with pre-ordered stuff and thought i'd have to wait until the release date of the pre-ordered stuff for everything to ship... actually i had one recently where it was fairly close, like only 10 days or something away and it appeared that on this occasion they were going to hold everything and ship it together but then something like 2 days from the pre-order release date they shipped the in stock stuff separately. Pretty random really.

I've got an order held hostage by one pre-order item for two weeks or so now though - there seems to really be no logic behind it all. (And shipping together often isn't an option anyway, since no matter if you order through .fr, .de, .it or .co.uk, it may come from a Germany, France or the UK warehouse - don't think I ever had anything actually come from Italy, though I very often order there.)