Impulse 50th Anniversary

David Ayers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not such a good idea then. Order canceled.

If you have free shipping from amazon.de you can buy the set at pre-order price, keep it unsealed and then if the reviews are bad, return it. I think you have 30 days for return, and it should be free.

But you do have to pay the shipping yourself (unless you receive damaged goods, then they give you a refund for the shipping expenses). With such a set, shipping won't be cheap ... (and in my case, add official bribing of what are known as the infamous custom nazis)

If you have free shipping from amazon.de you can buy the set at pre-order price, keep it unsealed and then if the reviews are bad, return it. I think you have 30 days for return, and it should be free.

But you do have to pay the shipping yourself (unless you receive damaged goods, then they give you a refund for the shipping expenses). With such a set, shipping won't be cheap ... (and in my case, add official bribing of what are known as the infamous custom nazis)

No, it is free. At least here in Austria.

really? I always paid fully for any returns ...

really? I always paid fully for any returns ...

The time I returned three Thelonious Monk Black Lion 24bit CDs because one was a CD-R I did not have to pay. Volumes 2 & 3 were still shrink-wrapped. I could simply print out a label that made the postage pre-payed.

Oh, wow, must be because I'm not living in the EU then ... didn't know! Several times I returned items where postage cost me 15 or more euros and I got an automated refund for 1.40€ or something like that ... then complained (since I'd received faulty goods, like box-sets with a disc missing) and got the rest of the sum refunded, too - but at the post counter, I always paid myself.

Then perhaps the free returns are due to the Amazon distribution center at the Gyroscoopweg in Amsterdam. There was talk of them opening a Dutch site last year, and Dutch online retailers started preparing by also offering free shipping etc., but the Dutch Amazon site has yet to materialise.

I just want the Rivers, damn you Universal!

Which Rivers is in the set? I didn't manage to work that out...

Ah. Got the LP. On CD ages ago right? Thanks.

Yes, but I've not checked for it for a while. Heard a friend's LP years ago (it has one big, horrid scratch, alas) and thought it was real good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Yesterday I got an alert email from Amazon related to the Impulse 50 box. Alas, it's a new 25-CD box (1961-1974), most (all?) of it available at some point as single CDs. By the look of it, it's based on the original 50-CD project.

Info, here. Cheapest price I've seen, on Amazon.de

This is how it compares with the original 50-CD set.

IMPULSE 50th Anniversary 1961-1974

1. John Coltrane, Ballads
2. Roy Haynes, Out of the Afternoon
3. Quincy Jones, The Quintessence
4. Benny Carter, Further Definitions
5. Freddie Hubbard, The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard
6. Gil Evans, Into the Hot
7. Max Roach, Percussion Bitter Sweet
8. Manny Albam, Jazz Goes to the Movies
9. Shelly Manne, 2-3-4
10. John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
11. Sonny Stitt & Paul Gonsalves, Salt and Pepper
12. Charles Mingus, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus
13. Terry Gibbs, Take It From Me
14. McCoy Tyner, Today and Tomorrow
15. J.J. Johnson, Proof Positive
16. Chico Hamilton, Passin’ Thru
17. John Coltrane, A Love Supreme
18. Shirley Scott, Queen of the Organ
19. Yusef Lateef, Live at Pep’s
20. Earl Hines, Once Upon A Time
21. Sonny Rollins & Oliver Nelson, Alfie
22. Stanley Turrentine, Let It Go
23. Clark Terry & Chico O’Farrill, Spanish Rice
24. Marion Brown, Three For Shepp

25. Dizzy Gillespie, Swing Low Sweet Cadillac
26a. Charlie Haden, Liberation Music Orchestra,
26b. Oliver Nelson, More Blues and The Abstract Truth
27. Rolf & Joachim Kuhn Quartet, Impressions of New York
28. Ahmad Jamal Trio, The Awakening
29. Lionel Hampton, You Better Know It!!!

30. Alice Coltrane, Journey in Satchidananda
31. Pharoh Sanders, Thembi
32. John Klemmer, Waterfalls
33. Archie Shepp, Attica Blues

34. Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, Jazz!!!!! Messengers!!!!!
35. Gato Barbieri, Chapter 1: Latin America
36. Dewey Redman, The Ear of the Behearer
37. Sam Rivers, Streams
38. Gabor Szabo, Gypsy ‘66
39. Danilo Perez, Central Avenue
40. Michael Brecker, Two Blocks From The Edge
41. Alice Coltrane, Translinear Light
42. Jose James & Jef Neve, For All We Know
43. Zoot Sims, Waiting Game
44. Chico O’Farrill, Nine Flags
45. Albert Ayler, In Greenwich Village

46. Tom Scott, Rural Still Life
47. Michael White, The Land of Spirit and Light
48. Keith Jarrett, Death and the Flower
49. Max Roach – It’s Time
50. Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

Bizarre.  If youre going for the legacy rather than any rarities, the first title you would have on a box like this is "A Love Supreme".  And they delete that and leave in "Ballads"?  Huh?  And you would shortly thereafter add "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady", "Blues and the Abstract Truth", "Karma" and "Four for Trane" (and no doubt others I am forgetting) which are also not present.  Don't understand what the purpose of this box is supposed to be.  it doesn't have rarities or even hard to find titles, and it doesn't have the best or most representative of the label.

Edited by felser