Impulse 50th Anniversary

David Ayers

We saw the track list, now here's the album list. Like anyone cares.

IMPULSE 50th Anniversary

1. John Coltrane, Ballads

2. Roy Haynes, Out of the Afternoon

3. Quincy Jones, The Quintessence

4. Benny Carter, Further Definitions

5. Freddie Hubbard, The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard

6. Gil Evans, Into the Hot

7. Max Roach, Percussion Bitter Sweet

8. Manny Albam, Jazz Goes to the Movies

9. Shelly Manne, 2-3-4

10. John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

11. Sonny Stitt & Paul Gonsalves, Salt and Pepper

12. Charles Mingus, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

13. Terry Gibbs, Take It From Me

14. McCoy Tyner, Today and Tomorrow

15. J.J. Johnson, Proof Positive

16. Chico Hamilton, Passin’ Thru

17. John Coltrane, A Love Supreme

18. Shirley Scott, Queen of the Organ

19. Yusef Lateef, Live at Pep’s

20. Earl Hines, Once Upon A Time

21. Sonny Rollins & Oliver Nelson, Alfie

22. Stanley Turrentine, Let It Go

23. Clark Terry & Chico O’Farrill, Spanish Rice

24. Marion Brown, Three For Shepp

25. Dizzy Gillespie, Swing Low Sweet Cadillac

26. Charlie Haden, Liberation Music Orchestra, Oliver Nelson, More Blues and The Abstract Truth

27. Rolf & Joachim Kuhn Quartet, Impressions of New York

28. Ahmad Jamal Trio, The Awakening

29. Lionel Hampton, You Better Know It!!!

30. Alice Coltrane, Journey in Satchidananda

31. Pharoh Sanders, Thembi

32. John Klemmer, Waterfalls

33. Archie Shepp, Attica Blues

34. Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, Jazz!!!!! Messengers!!!!!

35. Gato Barbieri, Chapter 1: Latin America

36. Dewey Redman, The Ear of the Behearer

37. Sam Rivers, Streams

38. Gabor Szabo, Gypsy ‘66

39. Danilo Perez, Central Avenue

40. Michael Brecker, Two Blocks From The Edge

41. Alice Coltrane, Translinear Light

42. Jose James & Jef Neve, For All We Know

43. Zoot Sims, Waiting Game

44. Chico O’Farrill, Nine Flags

45. Albert Ayler, In Greenwich Village

46. Tom Scott, Rural Still Life

47. Michael White, The Land of Spirit and Light

48. Keith Jarrett, Death and the Flower

49. Max Roach – It’s Time

50. Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins

Impulse 50cds 2777143

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I care! So thanks.

As I expected, a mixture of CDs I own, CDs I don't own and CDs I don't want to own. If the sound is significantly better, the packaging is especially attractive and I can get a good discount, I might get this, but that's a lot of ifs.

Any pack shots yet?

If the price for this is cheaper than for a Japanese "Into the Hot", I might care... else this is a very silly compilation. Some uninteresting stuff (who the hell is Jef Neve?!), some rarities (how's the Albam? the Gibbs? the Sims seems not be that great... the Manne is, got the LP, would love to get "Into the Hot" and "Streams" on their own! Also the Szabo).

The rest has been around up and down and again... or has little interest (tell me if I'm wrong on the Klemmer and the Tom Scott and the Brecker).

Just send me the Gil Evans and Sam Rivers and I'll shut up! :crazy:

If the price for this is cheaper than for a Japanese "Into the Hot", I might care... else this is a very silly compilation. Some uninteresting stuff (who the hell is Jef Neve?!), some rarities (how's the Albam? the Gibbs? the Sims seems not be that great... the Manne is, got the LP, would love to get "Into the Hot" and "Streams" on their own! Also the Szabo).

The rest has been around up and down and again... or has little interest (tell me if I'm wrong on the Klemmer and the Tom Scott and the Brecker).

Just send me the Gil Evans and Sam Rivers and I'll shut up! :crazy:

You're wrong on the Klemmer. What he did on those Impulse albums was very adventurous and attractive, none of the commercial concessions of his later recordings. In general, I agree this is a pretty bizarre set, and one that will need to justify itself in terms of price and packaging to get me to bite (though some of the titles are very appealing).

The Tom Scott is maybe his best record, with Mike Lang, Chuck Domanico and John Guerin, a solid jazz effort with some rockish elements, but they do not dominate. Nice tunes in 7/4, 5/8 etc. - he was pretty much under the Don Ellis influence when he recorded this. Mike Lang is a great pianist!

Edited by mikeweil

The Tom Scott is maybe his best record, with Mike Lang, Chuck Domanico and John Guerin, a solid jazz effort with some rockish elements, but they do not dominate. Nice tunes in 7/4, 5/8 etc. - he was pretty much under the Don Ellis influence when he recorded this. Mike Lang is a great pianist!

I agree it's a lot better than most people would expect, but have you hear this one? I might, might, put it above Rural Still Life, in spite of the off-putting concept and cover.

R-2331271-1277455944.jpeg

Tom Scott - soprano & tenor sax, flute

Roger Kellaway - piano, harpsichord, clavinet

Chuck Domanico - bass

John Guerin - drums

Perhaps we'll see single or twofer releases. Is this associated in any way with the German twofer reissue series?

Would be cool but I doubt it as most of the albums reissued on twofers so far aren't in the box.

There's no news on jazzecho.de, the site where Universal Germany shares some (but never all, alas) info on their jazz releases and reissues.

(edited for multi-post... love that new feature! a message about "this is a duplicate post" would make more sense!)

Edited by king ubu

I agree it's a lot better than most people would expect, but have you hear this one? I might, might, put it above Rural Still Life, in spite of the off-putting concept and cover.

Chuck Domanico - bass

John Guerin - drums

Interesting to see Chuck Domanico's name pop up, and on a 70s Impulse! no less. His work with Anthony Ortega is magnificent and I've been wondering what else he did.

edit: Of course I always could have checked Wikipedia ... looks like he did tons of West Coast session work and even played on the M*A*S*H and Cheers themes. Pity he didn't do more in the free music realm. His solo bass is as captivating as any I've heard from the likes of Kowald and Phillips.

Stitt it's silly that you'll have to buy a 50 (!) CD set to get these!

In cases like this I buy the box, sell the older duplicates and both make some money back and free up some space. Par for the course for long-time jazz collectors!

I've never wanted to get into all that hassle with selling stuff... some discs have scratches, some digipacks don't look like new. Too much work there, I think!

So the box includes More Blues and the Abstract Truth but does not include Blues and the Abstract Truth?!?

Presumably because it was already part of the FIRST IMPULSE box that also included:

Ray Charles Genius + Soul = Jazz

John Coltrane Africa/Brass

Gil Evans Out Of The Cool

Kai Winding The Great Kai & J.J.

Kai Winding The Incredible Kai Winding Trombones

Chuck Domanico - bass

John Guerin - drums

Yes I have that one - it's good! The "Hair" LP on Flying Dutchman, too - it's just that I like Scott's own tunes on "Rural Still Life" a lot more than the tunes he covered on the other two.

Interesting to see Chuck Domanico's name pop up, and on a 70s Impulse! no less. His work with Anthony Ortega is magnificent and I've been wondering what else he did.

He was an early member of the Don Eliis Orchestra and Scott's quartet, but then concentrated on studio work in L.A. and played on a thousand records. Excellent bass player!

Edited by mikeweil

I am curious why the Kuhn Brothers date was reissued on CD by MPS, since it's an Impulse session. I mean, I know both of them had MPS dates later, but...

Maybe Thiele did a deal with SABA to record the Kuhns but with SABA ultimately holding the rights? (just checked the LP and there doesn't seem to be anything in there to confirm any arrangement).