Complete Masters (Bechet, Satchmo, Ella, Billie, Bird)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Production is by the same gang who did the SagaJazz discs (which had some very fine releases and good presentation - but again mostly aimed at the cheapo market), and part of that gang was involved with the "Jazz in Paris" series, I think.

Got the Bechet today and it looks great!

The production credits are:

Text & Music Selection: Fabrice Zammarchi

English Translation (of Zammarchi's ca. 12 page essay): Martin Davies

Illustration Research: François Lê Xuân

Discography: François Lê Xuân & Fabrice Zammarchi

Mastering: Studio 101

Art Direction & Design: Hervé Imbault & Pascal Béjean for Les Télécréateurs

Production Coordination: Anne Carlier & Claude Chabane

Geneeral Coordination: François Lê Xuân

Legal Coordination: Christellee d'Almeida & François Clarou

Supervision: Yann Ollivier

and among the people to whom "thank yous" are given are Daniel Richard, Alain Tercinet, Daniel Nevers and the Rutgers Institute of Jazz Studies

To me, it all looks splendid - and it's obscenely cheap.

I've got the Ella on the way, too. Don't need the others, but hey, the Bird might be nice for daily listening, after all... so might the Satchmo and the Billie, although I'm going for the Frémeaux by Armstrong and have all of the Billie and Bird.

The Ella set is currently withdrawn from Amazon.co.uk because they claim the product was "not as described". Anyone know why this might be the case? Thanks.

I have it here. All the right CDs seem to be in it (numbering) and the CDs look spotless.

I simply don't have time to listen to the whole thing at the moment.

I don't even have time to spot-check.

The only issues I could think of are faulty pressings or doubles (right number, wrong content).

So, if anyone finds out, I'd also love to hear what's supposed to be wrong with the box.

I checked last night, btw, and all the other Amazon sites still had the set listed as available.

Edited by neveronfriday

• 2 weeks later...

My Bechet set arrived today. These boxes are a bargain!

I've only had a quick listen to some of the early tracks, and I can report back that the sound quality is good, but not on the same level as a JSP, HEP or Mosaic type box set. Probably more comparable with a Proper box or a Chrono[lo]gical Classics disc.

But the sets are fairly comprehensive, cheap, and the packaging and booklet is beautiful, so I'd still cautiously recommend them.

If you search for Sidney Bechet under Music at amazon.co.uk you get 551 hits. How does anyone ever sort that out unless you already know the discography backwards?

It's likely that Universal can do whatever they want with the Decca material they leased to Mosaic, they own it and I bet they are free to incorporate it into this set, release individual cds of it, etc.

Whenever I look the Armstrong seems to be much more expensive than the other sets, so maybe they are factoring in that consideration. Who knows?

With Armstrong, I'm not sure I'll get the Mosaic - but I'm sure I won't get the new box (which in a local shop here was only marginally more expensive than the Bechet - those were the only two they had there... and they cost quite a bit more than from amazon, so...)

Anyway, with Satchmo I'll continue with the Fremeaux discs, I assume (got Vols. 1-3 so far).

Too many duplicates there already anyway (a dozen Chronos, the Columbia Hot Fives & Sevens box, the RCA box, and in case Fremeaux ever gets to that point, the Decca All Stars Mosaic, too).

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Fitzgerald box (from Amazon.co.uk):

Please note: some customers have reported an issue with the tracklisting of some this product. Discs three (track 20) and eleven (tracks 4,7,8,10) have tracks listed incorrectly in some instances. If you find this issue after purchasing the product, you can request replacement discs directly from the manufacturer by clicking "Contact" at on their website: www.jazzmasters.fr.

Re: Fitzgerald box (from Amazon.co.uk):

Please note: some customers have reported an issue with the tracklisting of some this product. Discs three (track 20) and eleven (tracks 4,7,8,10) have tracks listed incorrectly in some instances. If you find this issue after purchasing the product, you can request replacement discs directly from the manufacturer by clicking "Contact" at on their website: www.jazzmasters.fr.

What the hell is that supposed to mean: "an issue with the tracklisting"? What will hence be replaced? The book and the cardboard covers containing the discs?

With my set, it's like this:

Disc 3 #20 is given as "I Let a Tear Fall in the River"

Disc 11 #4 is given as "Lonesome Gal"

Disc 11 #7 is given as "Two Little Men in the Flying Saucer"

Disc 11 #8 is given as "Because of the Rain"

Disc 11 #10 is given as "Even As You and I"

Same info on covers and in the book.

Now what? Does anyone understand what's the issue?

Do I suffer from defective product?

Does the mistake just concert the "tracklisting" or are there in fact wrong tracks on the CDs? And if it's the later, why don't they say so?

Edited by king ubu

I bought the Fitzgerald set and have this problem, which is not with the booklet but with the cds.

Disc 3, track 20, wrongly plays "Wacky Dust."

Disc 11, track 4 plays "Oops." Track 7 is "Baby Doll." Track 8 is "What Does It Take." Track 10 is "Two Little Men."

So there are some tracks that appear twice on the set and some tracks that are, as a result, omitted.

I've written to francois.lexuan@sagajazz.com to see if I can get the discs replaced.

Okay, so it's the TRACKS that are wrong, not the booklet... darn amazon folks should learn some English, methinks!

Thanks Salvatore - will check my discs later!

Edit: just checked my discs... and sent in my mail!

Mine are on the way, according to Francois L.

Les miens aussi :)

Okay, so it's the TRACKS that are wrong, not the booklet... darn amazon folks should learn some English, methinks!

Thanks Salvatore - will check my discs later!

Edit: just checked my discs... and sent in my mail!

Mine are on the way, according to Francois L.

Les miens aussi :)

That was fast.

Mine arrived today.

No time to check properly if they are correct.

Too much damn work at the moment.

• 4 months later...

After some closer listening, I can't help but think that Universal simply took the old Chronological Classics (plus whatever), squeezed them through the Studio 101 board and spewed them out as a reissue series.

If that happens to be the case (I have a few of those 90s Classics Fitzgerald Cds and they do sound nearly - if not totally - identical), doesn't it make at least the Fitzgerald box quite a shady affair?

Hm... I guess stealing back from the thieves is generally an accepted practice here, even if the thieves aren't, according to the laws of their countries :)

But yes indeed - it makes one hope that Mosaic will indeed do their planned Chick/Ella box!

I was afraid they might scratch it after the Universal box appeared, but that doesn't seem the case.