Latest Pop Market Complete sets available for preorder

JETman

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And another packaging of Billie Holiday. I only really wish I could get the Mahavishnu bonus disc. I'll sleep okay without it.

Yeah, and still no Cleveland show. I wonder if it's still on the table.

I had to get the Mahavishnu set- I was at one of the Central Park nights.

Cool, I bet it was something else. Let us know whether all the material has been remastered for this et. That might put me over the edge.

I thought they did a very good job remastering those early Mahavishnu albums around 2000.

Edited by felser

Yes, but the new masterings on these sets I've heard (Shaw and Gordon) sound really good, better than any earlier cd edtions, in my opinion, so I'd be interested to hear them. And I don't believe Between Nothingness and Eternity, my favorite of the MO recordings, was remastered at that time.

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to a post on Steve Hoffman board, including a quote from a Mahavishnu Orchestra Project page that I couldn't find myself, in this new set "Beyond Nothingness and Eternity" and the new bonus disc are remastered and remixed.

Sound is great, indeed. Compared to the old CD version of Between Nothingness and Eternity, the new one is way better. If you listen to Sister Andrea through headphones, you can actually hear Cobham's bass drum that's inaudible on the previous version. And it's more than a minute longer, too. The studio albums are presented with the same mix as previous releases, I think (booklet seems to imply this).

Now, packaging is whole another issue. The booklet I got with my copy looks like it's been chewed by a dog, missing a little part of last page, and rest of it is is wrinkled. The discs are a bit scratchy, not too bad but still, presumably because they're loose in their cardboard sleeves. Those made in USA (and Europe) albums should not be called mini LP's, they're cheapo cardboard sleeves, not real mini LP sleeves like the ones manufactured in Japan -- which have inside protective sleeves for individual discs and print quality that's usually so high it actually looks like the original LP when blown-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Brubeck stuff that's been on the CD market before remastered? Like "Jazz Impressions of New York" for example? Early 90s purple border remaster recycled? Or new remaster? Stuff that's new to CD in the US -- new remaster or Japanese remaster? Like Anything Goes? What about stuff that hasn't been on CD before, like Bernstein/Brubeck? A brand new remaster?

I agree with sambrasa's comments about the sound above. Very good remixing of Between Nothingness and Eternity, and the newly released material is excellent. This would make a great expanded "Legacy" edition, the original album and the new material. I don't think we'll see one, and that's what pushed me to purchase the set. My booklet was not crumpled at all, guess I was lucky there. The other albums don't sound very different from the previous editions.

I agree with sambrasa's comments about the sound above. Very good remixing of Between Nothingness and Eternity, and the newly released material is excellent. This would make a great expanded "Legacy" edition, the original album and the new material. I don't think we'll see one, and that's what pushed me to purchase the set. My booklet was not crumpled at all, guess I was lucky there. The other albums don't sound very different from the previous editions.

The 15 minute live Mar Y Sol track is tacked onto the end of Inner Mounting Flame here.

I got the Original Albums 5CD set fairly recently, mostly in order to finally get BNaE... have the Legacy editions of the first two and Lost Trident already... I hate this "put in some more tracks and have all the baboons buy the music for the umpteenth time"-policy!

Are there any unissued tracks on the Weather Report box?

Also, is 8:30 complete in this set?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

What does that mean? Did the old CD (red border) CBS CD omit anything? I got the LP of it a few months ago but haven't yet checked it out...

Are there any unissued tracks on the Weather Report box?

Also, is 8:30 complete in this set?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

8:30 is complete. It includes Scarlet Woman and is about 79 mins. in length.

12 bonus tracks are included in the set -- 9 come from Live and Unreleased, 3 are from Havana Jam. The original double LP of Havana Jam contained a version of Black Market not recorded at the festival (it was the one used for 8:30). In 2005, Zawinul mixed the Havana version. That as well as an unissued version of Birdland from the same show are included in this set. The new Black Market is 9:28 and included at the end of the cd of the same name. The new Birdland is 6:36 and included at the end of the Heavy Weather cd.

Hope this helps.