JETman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wanted to comment on the music in the Mahavishu box set.

I guess I remain convinced that The Inner Mounting Flame was their best album. It is stating the obvious that this was a fusion band and the music straddles jazz and rock, it is just that for me it seems as if the band moved more towards a rock sound after the first album. On an initial listen the Lost Trident Sessions don't do much for me. The live sets on Between Nothingness and Eternity (BNAE) are more attractive than the Lost Trident stuff and for me at least, the bonus disc with extra tracks is better than the original BNAE, perhaps because the material is more drawn from the first two studio albums. The moments I seem to like the most are when the band lays out and it is just McLaughlin or McLaughlin and Cobham ( by the way, the liner notes call Cobham a Panamanian - really - I wasn't aware of that and I wonder if that is like calling John McCain a Panamanian)

PS. For the record the Penguin Guide (which I like) can finally stop referring to "One Word" as continually being mistitled - I am guessing Penguin thought it should be called "One World". McLaughlin clearly announces the name of the tune as "One Word" on the bonus disc - in what is the strangest English accent I have ever heard.

I don't know. . . I've lived with all but the Lost Trident and bonus material for what. . almost a full four decades? I like it all, and see it all as a progression, yes embracing more and more of the rock sound as it went along, I came into it still enamored with the rock world, and that was their meat and potatoes market.

The material on Lost Trident that appears on BNAE seems more realized to me, though I do like Lost Trident the more I hear it (I bought the now deleted cd when released). I think Birds of Fire has very strong jazz elements, and really I love the energy of BNAE, I think I have played those sides more than any other over the years. I like John playing with sort of wild fire more than the later "jazz" playing myself.

Yeah Lon,

I hear you. The Inner Mounting Flame was perhaps the first jazz album I bought and it was not that hard of a transition given the rock elements that I was already familiar with and liked. I guess shortly after getting into what is commonly referred to as "fusion" (and Mahavishnu was one of the best of the fusion bands), I became more enamored with earlier periods of jazz and quickly became disillusioned with what fusion was turning into, particularly when I was listening to so many earlier jazz masterpieces. For example, I think I first heard Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" at about the same time "Headhunters" was released ... guess which one I liked better.

I like Birds of Fire too - but not as much as the first album.

Do you like the bonus tracks from BNAE better than the original album? I think I do, and that is one of the real highlights of this box set for me.

I recognize now that I forgot to comment on the bonus track for the Inner Mounting Flame.

THis is a live version of the Noonward Race from the studio album. It is quite a performance but I have to admit that I have trouble with how it comes at the end what I consider to be a perfectly sequenced album - but no other place to put it really.

Can't say I prefer the new bonus material to the original album. I love that album so much, and the new stuff is great, but doesn't have that same impact on me, with no history.

I got the first Mahavishnu Orchestra because I had encountered and attempted to digest his work with Miles Davis. For a while I had four distinct sort of listening things going: electric Miles (up to about "In Concert" and "Get Up With It"), the more mainstream fusion works of Herbie and Chick etc., the rock material (mostly blues-rock and psychedelic) and the beginning of an investigation of jazz and blues. Quite a time! My love of music and collecting really solidified.

The way they hit me at the time, Inner Mounting Flame was more or less a jam album, like a Gene Ammons Prestige date, Birds Of Fire got the composing and arranging and production all tightened up, like a Horace Silver Blue Note date, and the live album was just a damn good live album. I liked 'em all (loved 'em all, actually), but I think if I had to winnow it down to just one, it would be Birds Of Fire.

Haven't really heard the Trident album. All that came out ex posto facto about all the tensions and ugliness going on gave me reason to suspect that there was good reason why it went unreleased.

About Cobham being Panamanian, even though his family moved to the U.S. when he was pretty young, they were native Panamanians, iirc.

The way they hit me at the time, Inner Mounting Flame was more or less a jam album, like a Gene Ammons Prestige date, Birds Of Fire got the composing and arranging and production all tightened up, like a Horace Silver Blue Note date, and the live album was just a damn good live album. I liked 'em all (loved 'em all, actually), but I think if I had to winnow it down to just one, it would be Birds Of Fire.

Haven't really heard the Trident album. All that came out ex posto facto about all the tensions and ugliness going on gave me reason to suspect that there was good reason why it went unreleased.

About Cobham being Panamanian, even though his family moved to the U.S. when he was pretty young, they were native Panamanians, iirc.

Billy Cobham just doesn't sound like a Panamanian name to me and I've met quite a few.

I was wondering if he was in fact from the Canal Zone or his family were Americans associated with the Canal. Did he speak with a spanish accent?

Those are all good questions, for none of which I have the answer. All I can readily find is that his family moved to America when he was 3 (so, no, no accent, not that I've ever heard), that his father was a pianist, and that he was fascinated early on with "the percussion instruments his cousins played."

This says he was eight when the family moved: http://books.google.com/books?id=fSE00mknh0UC&pg=PA220&lpg=PA220&dq=billy+cobham+father+panama&source=bl&ots=-W6AxfleWO&sig=zQwK9YzZ7WkVC2zarGQeVP4sI8c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iO4qT6naMoaFsgKIrpGwDg&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=billy%20cobham%20father%20panama&f=false

Ok, I found this: http://udfilm.com/sonicmirror.html

For most people music is a marvellous experience and part of their life whether or not they play an instrument themselves. They understand music and rhythm as a fundamental communication tool of mankind and an integer part of our identity.Mika Kaurismäki`s new film SONIC MIRROR is a surprising and emotional dive into the world of rhythm - an extraordinary trip to discover the magic relationship between Life and Rhythm. Drum legend Billy Cobham takes us into three quite extreme musical situations, from the bandstands of the Western world to the primal music of African origin with kids in a Brazilian community and on to the completely secluded world of musical experiences of autistic people. The protagonist embodies perfectly the theme of the movie: of Nigerian descent, born in Panama, raised in New York; becoming famous with jazz music, today the cosmopolitan Billy Cobham plays together with musicians of all cultures and has developed a new mixture of musical styles and a profound understanding of rhythm as a communication tool throughout different environments.

Here's a photo of Mr. Cobham, Sr.

image047.gif

So...that doesn't really give any evidence of anything, really...

Those are all good questions, for none of which I have the answer. All I can readily find is that his family moved to America when he was 3 (so, no, no accent, not that I've ever heard), that his father was a pianist, and that he was fascinated early on with "the percussion instruments his cousins played."

This says he was eight when the family moved: http://books.google.com/books?id=fSE00mknh0UC&pg=PA220&lpg=PA220&dq=billy+cobham+father+panama&source=bl&ots=-W6AxfleWO&sig=zQwK9YzZ7WkVC2zarGQeVP4sI8c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iO4qT6naMoaFsgKIrpGwDg&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=billy%20cobham%20father%20panama&f=false

If Cobham moved to America when he was 3, then calling him a "Panamanian drummer" is a bit like calling Henry Kissinger a "German statesman"

If Cobham moved to America when he was 3, then calling him a "Panamanian drummer" is a bit like calling Henry Kissinger a "German statesman"

Are we really reaching that far back into the annals (or should I say "anals"?) of Republican futility???

Edited by JETman

I liked/loved them all also, and actually really like the one with Michael Tilson-Thomas ('Apocalypse') quite a bit, think it may well be the best thing ever done in that "with Orchestra" genre. I agree that, in retrospect, 'Birds of Fire' is the most realized of the bunch, but nothing will ever match the shock value of hearing "Meeting of The Spirits" and "The Noonward Race" from 'The Inner-Mounting Flame' for the first time. That was something utterly new and profound to my 17 year old ears.

I agree, unless he were deeply entrenched in a Panamanian community that kept its cultural heritage vibrant and he were heavily involved in that heritage, but I see no evidence of that.

• 1 month later...

The Woody Shaw Columbia Box is selling for $45.99 with free shipping

seems like a good buy for 6CD's

looking forward to hearing that extra material

The Woody Shaw set is popmarket's daily deal today (Monday March 5 2012), though the special price is the same $45.99 it has been listed as for the past several days.

However, there is a 10% coupon code:

SAVE10NOW

that does take an additional 10% of your total order. I mention this because there doesn't seem to be any exemptions for this coupon code discount. I bought the Shaw set today, along with a couple of other jazz sets that are also part of the free shipping sale. Plus, I'm Canadian, and the coupon code did work for me. So this extra 10% discount is not restricted to US buyers.

• 2 months later...

Just had an email from True Blue saying that they will be selling these and other Popmarket titles from June. They are also available from Amazon.

I'm very pleased about this. Not only will it mean we might get more competitive pricing it also means I needn't face the possibility of dealing with Pop Market's customer service department again.

• 2 weeks later...

Now there's a Mingus set. Nothing new that I can see. Maybe a new mastering of "Let my Children Hear Music" and "Epitaph?"

http://www.popmarket.com/charles-mingus-the-complete-columbia-rca-albums-collection/details/26894981

Also a Thelonious Monk set. No mention of remastering. Looks as if it's just a reissue of what we had.

http://www.popmarket.com/the-thelonious-monk-quartet-the-complete-columbia-studio-albums-collection/details/26894950

And a Weather Report set that includes the first six cds. This would be good if they're remastered. Looks as if it might be, and a few dribs of extra tracks.

http://www.popmarket.com/weather-report-the-columbia-albums-1971-1975/details/26896190

Edited by jazzbo

Looks like Live In Tokyo finally gets an American release. Loooooong overdue!

Funny how things change. What once was a pricey import is now tossed into a value package. I did a bit of a double take when I saw it was included.