Latest Pop Market Complete sets available for preorder

JETman

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there any unissued tracks on the Weather Report box?

Also, is 8:30 complete in this set?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

8:30 is complete. It includes Scarlet Woman and is about 79 mins. in length.

12 bonus tracks are included in the set -- 9 come from Live and Unreleased, 3 are from Havana Jam. The original double LP of Havana Jam contained a version of Black Market not recorded at the festival (it was the one used for 8:30). In 2005, Zawinul mixed the Havana version. That as well as an unissued version of Birdland from the same show are included in this set. The new Black Market is 9:28 and included at the end of the cd of the same name. The new Birdland is 6:36 and included at the end of the Heavy Weather cd.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there would be more unreleased studio stuff like the version of 'Directions' in the Forecast Tomorrow box, but I guess not.

So the only thing I am missing other than 8:30 is the Havana version of 'Birdland'. Not clear whether or not I have the Havana 'Black Market'. The version I bought in iTunes is 9:00, and the version on my 8:30 vinyl is 9:44. Neither of these seems to be the 9:28 version in the box.

Bertrand.

I'm gonna order the Woody Shaw set after Christmas, Are the mini LP jackets in these sets heavier grade cardboard?

No.

Dissapointing, that they don't even have inner sleeves considering these are a "boutique item". Doesn't matter, I just would like the rest of that music :)

Edited by CJ Shearn

Are there any unissued tracks on the Weather Report box?

Also, is 8:30 complete in this set?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

8:30 is complete. It includes Scarlet Woman and is about 79 mins. in length.

12 bonus tracks are included in the set -- 9 come from Live and Unreleased, 3 are from Havana Jam. The original double LP of Havana Jam contained a version of Black Market not recorded at the festival (it was the one used for 8:30). In 2005, Zawinul mixed the Havana version. That as well as an unissued version of Birdland from the same show are included in this set. The new Black Market is 9:28 and included at the end of the cd of the same name. The new Birdland is 6:36 and included at the end of the Heavy Weather cd.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there would be more unreleased studio stuff like the version of 'Directions' in the Forecast Tomorrow box, but I guess not.

So the only thing I am missing other than 8:30 is the Havana version of 'Birdland'. Not clear whether or not I have the Havana 'Black Market'. The version I bought in iTunes is 9:00, and the version on my 8:30 vinyl is 9:44. Neither of these seems to be the 9:28 version in the box.

Bertrand.

You're welcome.

Sorry about the confusion. I meant that the version of 'Black Market' used for Havana Jam was the one that appeared on 8:30 (because Zawinul didn't have the time he would have needed to mix the version actually recorded at the Cuban festival for the Havana Jam record release). The version on the 8:30 vinyl IS actually the one intended for the 8:30 release (not the one intended for, but not placed on, the Havana release).

I'm gonna order the Woody Shaw set after Christmas, Are the mini LP jackets in these sets heavier grade cardboard?

No.

Dissapointing, that they don't even have inner sleeves considering these are a "boutique item". Doesn't matter, I just would like the rest of that music :)

Same type of sleeves used for the Miles Columbia Albums Collection. I do think they learned their lesson with that one though since there haven't been any of the similar glue issues on sets I've bought since that debacle.

>Sorry about the confusion. I meant that the version of 'Black Market' >used for Havana Jam was the one that appeared on 8:30 (because Zawinul >didn't have the time he would have needed to mix the version actually >recorded at the Cuban festival for the Havana Jam record release). >The version on the 8:30 vinyl IS actually the one intended for the >8:30 release (not the one intended for, but not placed on, the Havana >release).

So what is the version of 'Black Market' that is on the new Havana Jam reissue? The timing is 9:00. I'll compare it to the 8:30 version but I think they were different.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 2 weeks later...

I am not thrilled with the shipping speed by Popmarket.

On the site it said that that the Mahavishnu set was in stock and ships within 1 to 2 days.

I ordered 1 week ago and in my order confirmation it said an email would be sent to me just prior to shipment.

1 week has passed: no email, no set.

What experiences have you had with them?

I am not thrilled with the shipping speed by Popmarket.

On the site it said that that the Mahavishnu set was in stock and ships within 1 to 2 days.

I ordered 1 week ago and in my order confirmation it said an email would be sent to me just prior to shipment.

1 week has passed: no email, no set.

What experiences have you had with them?

They are slow, but are the only game in town for most of these sets. So you've just gotta deal.

Received my Dexter set today a week after ordering. On disc 2 of "Homecoming". I have not heard this music at all so I am enjoying it. I like how these sets are presented and packaged. I was going to say the same about shipping, but the set arrived on the 7th day of their shipping timeline. As an aside, and something rather common with 70's albums, all the discs list a remix engineer for the credits, so does that mean as the albums were originally prepared the original mixes were unsatisfactory, so therefore they were remixed?

Edited by CJ Shearn

The Brubeck box only covers the quartet's studio sessions with Desmond, though it does not include the stereo performances for Dave Digs Disney, which was sold as a CDR on demand or download exclusively (an additional 13 tracks over the earlier CD reissue). Also missing is the album The Riddle with Bill Smith in Desmond's place, The Real Ambassadors (Desmond was not a part of it), nor Brubeck's Columbia albums with Gerry Mulligan. Also omitted are the bonus material from the two CD + DVD reissue of Time Out, plus the albums with Jimmy Rushing or Carmen McRae.

Producer Russell Gloyd shared with me that they are working on a Brubeck Live Columbia boxed set for the fall of 2012., commenting that there was ample unissued music from the 1962 Concertgebouw show.

2 weeks after placing my order, my Mahavishnu box showed up yesterday. In contrast to what others have reported the box, booklet and cds appear to be in excellent condition - no dents, dings or scratches. Although I have to say I do not like the white borders around the mini lp covers and the liner notes are pretty skimpy - much less than I expected.

When I give a serious listen to the music I will report.

Don't know how much interest these will attract here, but there are 3 more "complete" boxes available on the Pop Market site now:

http://www.popmarket.com/features/25809191

While I certainly won't be buying the complete sets, I do recommend the George Duke - 'Brazilian Love Affair' album (70's Flora Purim) and the self-titled Stanley Clarke album (similar to Corea/RTF efforts of the mid-70's era with some grandeur, rather than the Clarke/Duke mindless funk that came soon after). Judas Priest? You're on your own there.

Don't know how much interest these will attract here, but there are 3 more "complete" boxes available on the Pop Market site now:

http://www.popmarket.com/features/25809191

While I certainly won't be buying the complete sets, I do recommend the George Duke - 'Brazilian Love Affair' album (70's Flora Purim) and the self-titled Stanley Clarke album (similar to Corea/RTF efforts of the mid-70's era with some grandeur, rather than the Clarke/Duke mindless funk that came soon after). Judas Priest? You're on your own there.

I won't be buying the Judas Priest anytime soon, or in my next million lifetimes :)

Nor the Duke. But I am thinking about the Stanley Clarke.

This is the only way to get properly remastered domestic versions of most of Clarke's Epic releases. IMO Stanley has made some of his best music of recent vintage his last few albums: the 2 Stanley Clarke Band releases and the trios of course with Hiromi and Lenny White and the Corea/Clarke/White: "Forever" album. Probably many people will purchase the Clarke/Duke sets because many soul/R&B consider that their finest music even though I'm not that hot on getting something like the Duke set I know a lot of family members would enjoy it. I wonder if we will see as the Herbie set apparently was canned, a "VSOP Quintet: Complete Columbia Albums Collection" because that would be a way to get "Five Stars" out domestically in physical form plus remastered versions of "The Quintet" and the only domestic CD versions of "VSOP" and "Tempest in The Colosseum" though I have most of those on French Columbia CD's. Also, I would not be thrilled about a Freddie Hubbard Complete Columbia Albums Collection BUT I would love to see a domestic release of the Japan only "Gleam", and at this point that would be the only way to get that most likely.

Not much interest for Clarke or Duke (though I do enjoy the MPS box of Duke's).

VSOP sounds like a fine idea though...

Played the Shorter (sans the WR compilations) and mostly enjoyed it, though honestly I don't yet quite know what to make of the 80s music.

The big surprise was "Native Dancer" - very beautiful album!