Latest Pop Market Complete sets available for preorder

JETman

The Blue Oyster Cult set has been widely discussed and I'm really looking forward to it. In addition to many new remasters it also contains a disc of rarities, a compilation of radio broadcasts and also a download card for an additional 4 complete concerts.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if there's any chance the new Bessie Smith will be remastered? Those old Columbias were fine in their day, but....

gregmo

Apparently not, though source isn't directly named it's reported here by Hans that they're not remastered.

That's what I was told by someone in the music business who doesn't want to be named. Sorry. Maybe someone should ask Sony directly about the mastering, I'd gladly be wrong.

To my ears those old Columbia 2CD-sets from the early 1990s stink big time sonically. The older LPs Chris Albertson worked on are OK.

Edited by J.A.W.

The Blue Oyster Cult set has been widely discussed and I'm really looking forward to it. In addition to many new remasters it also contains a disc of rarities, a compilation of radio broadcasts and also a download card for an additional 4 complete concerts.

Have my pre-order in on BOC already, the other box I'm thinking about getting is the Brecker Brothers, though I'm not enamored with the way the albums were produced, if I remember how they sounded when they came out. I will also breakdown one day and get the Woody Shaw.

Have my pre-order in on BOC already, the other box I'm thinking about getting is the Brecker Brothers, though I'm not enamored with the way the albums were produced, if I remember how they sounded when they came out. I will also breakdown one day and get the Woody Shaw.

The Brecker Brothers set is the only place I think you can obtain "Blue Montreux" which I think was issued in a condensed form on CD in the US.

The Brecker Brothers set is the only place I think you can obtain "Blue Montreux" which I think was issued in a condensed form on CD in the US.

There is that fact to recommend it.

I love this paragraph from the Pop Market blurb:

In retrospect, the Brecker Brothers can be seen as dashing heroes, unafraid to follow wherever their muse lead them no matter what straight-laced critics objected to. From today's eclectic viewpoint, their up front blend of jazz and outright pop sounds was not only ahead of the curve, it was right up to the minute. [!!]

I would be interested in giving them a try again, as I said, I wasn't too impressed with the production quality of the albums when they came out, and was more than glad to give the albums to a friend when I moved. Maybe I will like them this time around.

Edited by Matthew

That stuff is very of the time. I don't think the Brecker Brothers comeback albums from the 90's have worn well either, thats just the programming used though. I still love the EWI on Mike's first two records, the first one is such a masterpiece, those tunes. "Pilgrimage" is his best IMO, and a great bookend to that self titled disc.

That stuff is very of the time. I don't think the Brecker Brothers comeback albums from the 90's have worn well either, thats just the programming used though. I still love the EWI on Mike's first two records, the first one is such a masterpiece, those tunes. "Pilgrimage" is his best IMO, and a great bookend to that self titled disc.

Mr. Brecker's solo albums are in a totally different class than the stuff he did with his bro.

I like the Blue Montreux sides and Heavy Metal Bebop. The studio Aristas are much more hit-and-miss IMO. A few great cuts scattered in with some real lame things. I love Randy's playing a lot, but I wish he wouldn't sing. A big turnoff for many will be the dated sound of the synths and mixes and such, but I grew up listening to the BB and can still enjoy it in spite of the dated aspects. Michael and Randy have some great solos throughout- I would have loved to hear the band live at their club (where they recorded HMBB). Definitely music "of its time". :)

I like the Blue Montreux sides and Heavy Metal Bebop. The studio Aristas are much more hit-and-miss IMO. A few great cuts scattered in with some real lame things. I love Randy's playing a lot, but I wish he wouldn't sing. A big turnoff for many will be the dated sound of the synths and mixes and such, but I grew up listening to the BB and can still enjoy it in spite of the dated aspects. Michael and Randy have some great solos throughout- I would have loved to hear the band live at their club (where they recorded HMBB). Definitely music "of its time". :)

How was "My Father's Place" their club?

Jetman, you mean Seventh Avenue South? They had a club before that? I remember Michael saying in an interview once he'd learn not to run a club again after that experience.

FFA said they recorded HMBB at "their club". The live tracks on that album were recorded at My Father's Place in Roslyn, Long Island.

For some reason I had the impression it was their club. It wasn't?

Edited by Free For All

Matthew - Where did you preorder the BOC? On Amazon UK, it can be had for 48.01 Pounds shipped to the U.S., which equates to $75.80. Do you know of a better price?

I'm debating whether to preorder it at this price, or just wait and see if it becomes a special offer at some point on either Amazon or Pop Market...

Matthew - Where did you preorder the BOC? On Amazon UK, it can be had for 48.01 Pounds shipped to the U.S., which equates to $75.80. Do you know of a better price?

I'm debating whether to preorder it at this price, or just wait and see if it becomes a special offer at some point on either Amazon or Pop Market...

I got mine through Amazon Canada ($100), but I like your cheaper price!

For some reason I had the impression it was their club. It wasn't?

That would be a BIG negatory. I used to go there a lot during my late teens. Saw BOC there when they were still called Soft White Underbelly.