Upcoming Ellington on Compact Disc

bebopbob

I've only got the mono lp. And the Columbia stereo cd.

I'm not much of a vinyl spinner these days. And certainly not here in my "second home." :mellow:

Anyway, I'd love to see Bal Masque, Midnight in Paris, practically anything else not on cd in the US. I'd really like to see them do the remainder of the 1947-1952 material in some sort of a set.

I very much agree!

(Second home?) :huh:

Second home: an extended stay hotel/apartment place in Medical Center area, Houston. Been here most of the time since early April caretaking my wife through cancer treatment.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only got the mono lp. And the Columbia stereo cd.

I'm not much of a vinyl spinner these days. And certainly not here in my "second home." :mellow:

Anyway, I'd love to see Bal Masque, Midnight in Paris, practically anything else not on cd in the US. I'd really like to see them do the remainder of the 1947-1952 material in some sort of a set.

I very much agree!

(Second home?) :huh:

Second home: an extended stay hotel/apartment place in Medical Center area, Houston. Been here most of the time since early April caretaking my wife through cancer treatment.

I've been down that road. You and your wife are in my thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

AAJ reviews of these releases:

MASTERPIECES

ELLINGTON UPTOWN

and one more:

FESTIVAL SESSION

and if you look through this thread DISCOGRAPHICAL DUKE you may find more information.

Does anyone know if 'Festival Session' is going oop? It's backordered at amazon and cd universe and when i searched the sony site to try and buy it it was listed as unavailable. I finally ordered a copy from half.com, hope it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify my last post:

Lovano and Charlap also lend support to special guest vocalist Elvis Costello on one of the most striking performances on the album, a haunting version of Strayhorn's final composition “Blood Count,” which was written from a hospital bed shortly before he died in 1967. Here the tune is given lyrics penned by Costello and retitled “My Flame Burns Blue.”

Please say it ain't so...

I keep looking for news on the Treasury Show series, and found a track listing for volumes 13 and 14 on the Duke Ellington Music Society site, plus news that Lance Travis wrote the liner-notes for vol. 13 and Andrew Homzy "will write" the liner-notes for vol. 14.

So it looks like these are coming, but so far, nothing official on the Storyville site.

I keep looking for news on the Treasury Show series, and found a track listing for volumes 13 and 14 on the Duke Ellington Music Society site, plus news that Lance Travis wrote the liner-notes for vol. 13 and Andrew Homzy "will write" the liner-notes for vol. 14.

So it looks like these are coming, but so far, nothing official on the Storyville site.

Excellent news if that proves to be the case! Thanks for the update, Roger.

Yes, but that was many months ago. Not sure what has happened with the DETS series after Storyville was purchased. I recently asked in the duke-lym list if there's an expected release date for those new volumes and got no replies.

Recently published and recommended (see specific thread) is the "Creole Rhapsody" 2CD compilation on ASV/Living Era.

And, besides the Duke Ellington: 1936-40 Small Group Sessions (#235) Mosaic box set, there's more Ellington coming in the scheduled Various Artists – The Jazz Piano (MCD-1012) Mosaic single CD:

The “various artists” on this album read like the history of jazz piano: Willie “The Lion” Smith, Earl Hines, Duke Ellington, Mary Lou Williams, Billy Taylor and Charles Bell. The occasion was a piano workshop on a Sunday afternoon at the Pittsburgh Jazz Festival in 1965, obviously a time when giants still walked the earth. The original album contains only ten tunes. This reissue contains all 19 performances, newly remixed from the original three-track masters, adding new material from Smith, Williams, Taylor and Bell. The concert is now presented in the order in which it was performed. Each pianist performs solo or with bassist Larry Gales and drummer Ben Riley. Earl Hines duets with Ellington on an improvised blues and with Taylor on “Sweet Lorraine.” The concert closes with a blow-out version of “Rosetta” with Hines, Smith, Williams, Taylor and George Wein sharing two pianos. A one-of-a-kind event.

Guess this is:

June 20, 1965. Pittsburgh.

Concert at the Civic Arena. Jazz Piano Workshop.

Duke Ellington & Earl Hines: Duke Ellington, Earl Hines, p; Larry Gales, b; Ben Riley, d.

TPA3356 RCA LPM-3499 RCA:22/15, L&R:1/15.2 and SDT:19 House Of Lords

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duke Ellington & Earl Hines: Duke Ellington, Earl Hines, p; Larry Gales, b; Ben Riley, d.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was this material reissued on the mammoth 24-cd Centennial box?

Yes, Greg. "RCA 22/15" quote means "RCA Centennial Edition, disc 22, track 15"

Edited by EKE BBB

Was this material reissued on the mammoth 24-cd Centennial box?

Yes, Greg. "RCA 22/15" quote means "RCA Centennial Edition, disc 22, track 15"

Sorry--didn't get the code! Thanks for the quick response!

• 1 month later...

Elvis Costello does Strayhorn? :crazy: Think I'll pass.

Well, I'm going to stick my neck out & say I like what Costello does with the song. It's a trio performance--just Costello on vocals, Lovano on tenor sax, and Bill Charlap on piano--and to my ears he respects the spirit of it and adds something all his own... it actually ends up sounding almost like a Costello ballad, and I mean that in a good way. As Mr. Sangrey is wont to say, though, others' mileage may vary.