Count Basie Verve Mosaic running low

J.A.W.

Hopefully everyone who wanted the Basie Clef/Verve box set got it!!!!

I'm wondering if this timed out or sold out?

I suspect that it timed out.... Good sound wasn't Norman G's forte and the liner notes left much to be desired.

It didn't time out, as I posted earlier it's now back up again and Scott Wenzel just told me they have very few copies left.

I got mine. Yet reading the recent posts, wonder if I should have held on to the Roulette Stuido that I sold recently.

Well....hopefully you got a good price for that set, a lot of recent eBay sales have been $400+

I think all Basie is worth hearing, but for my ears, the Roulette recordings were something special.

I still love to listen to the Clef/Verve sessions a lot as well though.

Hope you enjoy the new set!!!

Clef/Verve set arrived yesterday. After to listening to discs 3 and 4, I'm extremely pleased I added this one to my Roulette sets. The small group material is a wonderful contrast to the big band which gets hotter and hotter as you listen. Anyone on the fence should grab this one. Joe joins the band tonight :party:

Edited by mr jazz

I prefer the Live Roulette sessions myself. Something about that band... And I concur that the sound quality is excellent. I have the Verve sessions which I'm a little lukewarm on. Didn't get the Studio Roulette sessions due to my not being familiar with Mosaic at that time...mellow.gif I wish I had....

It's back on "last chance" now... not sure about it, I've had mine for many years, but it might be worth a try to send them a mail and ask!

As for the discussions about favorites... I don't have the Roulette Studio alas, love the Roulette Live a lot, although I find I listen to it all too rarely.

Anyway, the Clef/Verve material is essential in its own way, I feel. The dance sessions are among the very finest NT Basie, and Gus Johnson's drumming is superior (except in showmanship) to Sonny Payne's. But yeah, maybe all in all, the Roulette sessions are a bit more exciting (for instance, "April in Paris" was always more solid, rather than great, in my book), but I wouldn't want to miss the Clef/Verve recordings!

Edited by king ubu

I prefer the Verve things to the Roulette b/c the Roulette years is where the Basie "formula" really begins taking hold and not letting go. Granted, the ensembles are tighter than the proverbial gnat's ass, and I do appreciate that, believe,me, but I get tired of the cumulative studio Roulette a lot quicker than I do the cumulative studio Verve (keeping it to the first go-round with that label).

Mileages can, will, and should vary, of course.

• 1 month later...

I prefer the Verve things to the Roulette b/c the Roulette years is where the Basie "formula" really begins taking hold and not letting go. Granted, the ensembles are tighter than the proverbial gnat's ass, and I do appreciate that, believe,me, but I get tired of the cumulative studio Roulette a lot quicker than I do the cumulative studio Verve (keeping it to the first go-round with that label).

Mileages can, will, and should vary, of course.

Here we differ. I prefer the Roulette studio dates because here Basie's use of the cream of the crop arrangers, which started in the Verve years, hits full force. These are real writer/arrangers' showcases. The Verves are sort of transitional from the Old Testament to this. Amazing work from Hefti, Quincy, Foster, Wilkins, Thad, Benny Carter. For me Atomic and Chairman of the Board are simply two of the greatest big band albums ever.

A love the Roulette Live a lot, although I find I listen to it all too rarely.

There's so much duplication of tunes I find it overkill.