Tunes that bring you back...

thedwork

i listened this the other day for the first time in over 20 years and it gave me goosebumps - literally:

very strong feeling/vibe of my high school/pre-highschool days came back to me heavily. everyone (or i assume at least most folks) has that experience w/ tunes now and then. this one did it for me the other day big time. this, imo, also happens to be a great tune that still stands up and i'm now listening to it regularly again.

crappy tunes can bring you back as well (unfortunately?). others?

Edited by thedwork

Too many to think of from the mid-60s to mid-70s. Tons of music I love from thereafter but doesn't have the same nostagia pull.

The Beatles have an enormous nostalgia pull - I had none of their records when they were active but their music was everywhere in my early teens. 'Fool on the Hill/Hello Goodbye' has me in the garden in a little house in Singapore. 'Penny Lane' just down the hill by the Anglican Church. And I remember all the cool kids in my Gloucester school running out to buy 'Hey Jude' when it came out - that one always evokes 'Chosen Hill' where the school stands (a place, I later learned, with important associations for Herbert Howells, Gerald Finzi and Ivor Gurney).

First pop song I recall hearing was "On the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe," but I can't say that hearing it now takes me back to the kitchen of our Chicago two-flat in 1946. "Funiculi, Funicula" does though -- it was the theme song of the soap opera "Lorenzo Jones," and I hated it (the music, not the soap opera).

I used to think that the muted horn was a lazy bone's voice calling from a disinterested afar...59. I'd have been 3-4...horns talked to me then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YknAHtDN6Y

kleenex_spd_45_55_525.jpgkleenex_spd_45_55_525_back.jpg

50 cents...my folks would uby stuff like this to give to me along with the children's records and the Billy Bayou (which I wore out, and then some). 50 cents was all it took.

Side 1

Matrix No. K2NH-0806

Hot Diggity ( Dog Ziggity Boom ) ~ Adapted from Alexis Chabrier's 1st theme of España, Rhapsody for Orchestra Words and Music by Al Hoffman and Dick Manning, 1956 Perry Como with Mitchell Ayres' Orchestra and The Ray Charles Singers Patricia Music by Perez Prado with lyrics by Bob Marcus, 1958 Perez Prado and his Orchestra Lazy Bones Music by Hoagy Carmichael with lyrics by Johnny Mercer , 1951 Kay Starr

Side 2

Matrix No. K2NH-0807

Dream Along With Me ( I'm On My Way To A Star )star_red.giftheme song from "The Perry Como Show" Words and Music by Carl Sigman, 1956 Perry Como with Mitchell Ayres' Orchestra and The Ray Charles Singers Land of Dreams Music by Eddie Heywood and lyrics by Norman Gimbel, 1954 Eddie Heywood with Joe Reisman's Orchestra Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered Music by Richard Rodgers and lyrics by Lorenz Hart Gogi Grant with Henri René's Orchestra

I don't recall ever playing Side 2.. Ever.

But I do remember this one, another one where the instruments sounds oddly like human-esque expulsions of secret conversation...

Edited by JSngry