Paul Motian RIP

Trumpet Guy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow-- heart breaking news. Rarely does a day go in which I don't listen to a recording that he was involved in. sad.gif

now that you mention it, he's on so many recordings on my ipod that i probably listen to him a few times every week as well without even necessarily thinking about it.

very sad he's gone. brilliant musician. i was only able to see him live once: 1986 at The Bass Clef near London w/ the Frisell/Lovano trio. definitely a great, memorable experience for me. like Motian, i believe that club is gone :(

I am very sorry to hear that—he was such a nice guy and an exceptional percussionist. A few years ago, he dropped by my apartment (he lived up the street) and left me a first draft of an autobiography. It needed work, but it had the elements of an absorbing story. I wonder if he did more with it. Anyone know?

Any chance you would write a bio, Chris?

I'm afraid not, Greg, but someone will, and I hope that person has access to the manuscript Paul allowed me to read, and to his diaries.

regularpepsicola quoted a post I quickly deleted - let it stand here.

out of respect for mr. nessa and mr. motian, mine will be deleted as well.

motian recordings that may be overlooked are the sensitive small group efforts he continued to make. nothing ever was anyway by crispell and a recent effort by augusto pirodda, among several, are among my personal favorites.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

A list of favorite recordings featuring Paul - no attempt to be "representative":

1. "War Orphans" from Tribute

2. "Re: Person I Knew" from Bill Evans

3. "It Should've Happened a Long Time Ago" from Trioism

4. "Remembrance of Things Past" from Trioism

5. "Mumbo Jumbo" from Sound of Love

6. "You Took the Words Right Out of My Heart" from Live at the Village Vanguard

7. "Yahllah" from Live at the Village Vanguard

8. "Harmony" from I Have the Room Above Her

9. "Three in One" from I Have the Room Above Her

10. "Cathedral Song" from Lost in a Dream

would you care toe elaborate TTK? i'll listen but right now i don't hear it-- and still have to turn off WKCR when the horrible Lovano/Frisell group comes on.

as I said, Pau Motian was a terrific musician but, unless one really means it (one might), it's silly to pretend every direction he went in was a worthwhile one, except, presumably, to him and the musicians he hired.

and again, that Monk "tribute" (travesty) is utterly loathsome on every level, the drummer/bandleader's included.

to read this thread, however, you'd think Motian was the white Baby Dodds, Jo Jones, Max Roach, Ed Blackwell all-in-one.

"Life-changing." I used a banned review cliche in my eulogy.

Edited by MomsMobley