Rifftide: The Life And Opinions Of Papa Jo Jones

people have theorized as to the causes of his craziness - no one seems to mention that he was a pretty bad alcoholic for most of his days. In the '70s they used to take him up to NYU hospital on Henry Street in Brooklyn to dry out, which usually lasted only a few weeks before he'd go back to the the bottle. He also didn't play real well in those days (I saw him 6-7 times) for obvious reasons. Also, all the clips of his later drum solos I find unimpressive - though he was clearly one of the greats. Too many enablers in those days, though it is likely he would have done what he wanted to do no matter what.

Edited by AllenLowe

The Modern Drummer interview he did was truly epic. I don't know if you'd need a book after that.

But...I'm leaning towards getting this, just to see if it's epicer.

Epicer! I had to stare at that word for some time before getting "it", though this was before my morning coffee. :crazy:

I think I'll put this on my Christmas list.

Thanks for the heads up!

I don't understand when the "Papa" thing came in with Jo Jones. I never heard that until v-e-r-y much later. If it was to clear up confusion with Philly Joe Jones, it always seemed the "Philly Joe" was enough of a qualifier.

Another thing, re: names that bugs me is calling Ellington "The Duke". Uh-uh. It's just Duke...

• 7 years later...
On 11/28/2011 at 7:33 AM, JSngry said:

The Modern Drummer interview he did was truly epic. I don't know if you'd need a book after that.

But...I'm leaning towards getting this, just to see if it's epicer.

Well, that took a while, but I found a paperback copy at HalfPrice and carpe-diemed.

This motherfucker was everything that life had to offer. Everything. Cats like him and Bird...all things at all times in all places.