Hiroshi Tanno to close down his store

J.A.W.

Bentsy has already posted this in the "Latest Reissues from Hiroshi" thread, but I thought this deserves its own thread: Hiroshi Tanno is closing down his store at the end of January, 2012. I have bought many CDs from him over the years; his service has always been impeccable and I am very sorry to see him go.

Edited by J.A.W.

What sad news! I've used Horoshi for more years than I care to remember.

I guess this means it will be even harder to score Japanese releases at a reasonable price.

BTW can anyone recommend an alternative supplier in Japan?

CDJapan is OK, but their service is not as personal as Hiroshi's.

Yes, I also got the mail with the sad news. During the years, I purchased a lot of stuff from him, mostly the rare Blue Note albums. I always was very pleased with his service and with his kind answers, if I had questions.

He was a great help for me on building up my collection.

I´ll really miss him.

I thought I read somewhere that Hiroshi's family was affected by the earthquake/tsunami earlier this year. Things like that tend to put your every day life into perspective. Why run a store that's barely making ends meet if you're financially well off enough to retire? As much as I'll miss Hiroshi, I wish him even better luck as he exits the jazz CD/LP business.

Kevin

BTW, he still lists the CD of Ronnie Ross's "Cleopatra's Needle", which is extremely rare, for around $2300 Yen. Great deal for this CD. Until Hiroshi got it in, I was looking at much higher prices.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Did he indicate the reason?

No, he didn't.

Hiroshi told me (in a private e-mail message) that it is a combination of personal reasons and economic situation.

Let's hope for better days.

Correct. I hope things will improve for him and his family.

It was through this board that I first became aware of Hiroshi's excellent service. I love how he hand-tailors each cardboard box that he mails out (ever notice that? the joints and folds are his own), and I even came to like the faint aroma of his cigarettes that gently rises out of each parcel after opening.

My collection would be considerably less varied and rich if it weren't for Hiroshi. I'll really miss his service.

It was through this board that I first became aware of Hiroshi's excellent service. I love how he hand-tailors each cardboard box that he mails out (ever notice that? the joints and folds are his own), and I even came to like the faint aroma of his cigarettes that gently rises out of each parcel after opening.

My collection would be considerably less varied and rich if it weren't for Hiroshi. I'll really miss his service.

I had the same impression - thought his packaging had a cigar like odour (not unpleasant) but as has been noted he doesn't smoke. Also love the Japanese packaging ethos - they do it with so much TLC.

Will miss you Hiroshi - a lovely person to deal with

hiroshi doesn't smoke. that's the mustiness of the shop you're picking up.

Weird that the mustiness smells like cigarettes/cigars. How do you know he doesn't smoke? I didn't mind the scent/aroma at all. Actually endeared me more to his parcels.

If I remember correctly etherbored has visited Hiroshi, that's how he knows.