Hiroshi Tanno to close down his store

J.A.W.

I sold Hiroshi many LPs back more than 20 years ago, and have been a cd customer in more recent times.

I e-mailed him a few days ago when I heard he was closing down.

He sent me back a very very nice e-mail recalling all the things he had purchased from me and thanking me for

all the great things he had received from me.

A truly nice guy.

You know, we talk about how the internet did amazing things for far-flung collectors far away from the isle of Japan, but it works both ways. Hiroshi benefitted enormously as well, by expanding his customer base so much. Of course it didn't hurt that he offered fair prices and superior service.

Hiroshi Tanno is closing down his store at the end of January, 2012. I have bought many CDs from him over the years; his service has always been impeccable and I am very sorry to see him go.

i also heard about this some days back, but i completely agree with these words. always excellent packaging and service. it's a loss.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I was hesitant to post this information here, but considering how important Hiroshi was to some of us I decided to share. Hiroshi suffered a stroke during the fall and lapsed into a coma. A couple of days ago he passed. I got this information from a mutual friend. My thoughts go to his family, and I will always cherish the music I got to hear at the time only because of him. 

3 hours ago, bresna said:

He was a real Jazz fan and record collector too. Sometimes, you felt like he was enjoying the hunt as much as you were.

I'll echo this statement. Hiroshi found a Tony Fruscella album for me, but it took a long time. When he tracked it down, he sent me a little celebratory email.

On 2/18/2022 at 4:04 PM, Daniel A said:

and I will always cherish the music I got to hear at the time only because of him.

RIP. I was a customer and got to hear, and sometimes even discovered, great stuff through him.

On 2/19/2022 at 4:44 PM, bresna said:

He was a great connection to the Japanese market

He was my Japanese connection.

:(  I was just thinking about him yesterday because his name appeared in my Facebook account's upcoming-birthdays list.  Bought a number of CDs from him when he was running his business and had some great email exchanges... he was also very supportive of Night Lights.  Such a great guy, so sorry to learn of this news.