Kenny Dorham

Claude Schlouch

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May have posted this before, but this, for me, is KD's greatest single recorded solo. Captures everything that was unique about this beautiful musician -- expressive sound; snakey melodic lines and remarkable flow; colorful harmony; marvelous pacing, alert wit and lively sense of drama. I do wish the piano didn't suck, however.

May have posted this before, but this, for me, is KD's greatest single recorded solo. Captures everything that was unique about this beautiful musician -- expressive sound; snakey melodic lines and remarkable flow; colorful harmony; marvelous pacing, alert wit and lively sense of drama. I do wish the piano didn't suck, however.

not the pianist but the piano, right?!? just double-checking!! LOL

thanks for posting this treasure, Mark.

Valerie: Yes, the instrument, of course! -- Bish comps beautifully on that track.

Mike: Respect your opinion but must disagree, though I admit Jackie's pitch gets pretty wild on "Inta Something." But the Blue Note Quintet with Sonny Clark, Butch Warren and Billy Higgins is one of my favorites, though it didn't start out that way. This was my first Jackie McLean record in high school (got it as part of the two LP set "Hipnosis") and it took me a while to warm to the sound/intonation and concept. But once I got it I fell really hard and Jackie became, and has remained, my favotie alto player and one of my greatest heroes. I grew to love this particular record so much I transcribed most of the tunes and played them with my group in college.

Coda: Always tried to play the melody of "It Could Happen to You" like KD does here -- lots of slick little winks, ornaments and asides ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

Mark, I agree the album is great. I bought it in the early 1960s.

Although on alto sax I also enjoyed playing It Could...as KD does on this record.

Bish works with the piano and it does not bother me :-)

I prefer this version of "US" over later versions of Uno Mas.

I transcribed the arr. and have played it a few times over the years when possible.

I would like to have a good big band arr. of it for my hobby club big band.

Jackie is a little different on this record (drunk?) and I like it.

Mike: Respect your opinion but must disagree, though I admit Jackie's pitch gets pretty wild on "Inta Something."

Yes, it's mostly McLean's intonation that puts me off - whenever his pitch is okay I can enjoy his playing. I think this and the piano was what made me sell that CD.

If I'm keeping only one (and I'm not!), it's Joe's Our Thing. KD at his most openly expansively suppley knowing, both the playing and the composing. Some people will talk about the tone was gone by then and all this and all that, and maybe so if you want to get all puristy/trumpety about it, but the voice was stronger than ever. And that voice was speaking, telling stories like none other.

Plus, if there's a meatier tune than "Escapade"....well, ok, there's not a meatier tune than "Escapade". You can only be as meaty a tune as "Escapade". Sing along at home, kids, it's fun!

I've long appreciated Kenny, Our Thing was my first exposure to Kenny, Hill and Henderson !!!! I love it and its's right up there with my favourite BN sessions. I find it hard to pick out my favourite KD sessions as I've never heard weaknesses that I know other people hear.

• 1 year later...

Kenny Dorham deserves to be much better known. What can you say about a guy who played with Bird, Monk, Blakey, Silver, Coltrane, Rollins, Joe Henderson, Max Roach, Andrew Hill, and more. He was no slouch as a leader, either. I particularly like Quiet Kenny and Jazz Contrasts.

Can't say I ever heard him with Jackie McLean, and I'm a big McLean fan.

I vaguely recall a Max Roach Blindfold Test where he responded to a track from the Dorham-Ernie Henry album on Riverside with "Kenny can play some stuff that's really abstract."

Speaking of abstract trumpet players, in the first magazine story about Thad Jones in Down Beat in November 1955, Thad mentions KD in the list of trumpeters he admires. The quote is kinda funny: "Kenny has changed his style. He used to often just play technique, He plays some weird things."