Jimmy Giuffre: 1963-1973

Late

Listening again to Giuffre's 70's recordings ... I guess he must have spent part of this down-time adding flute to his instrumental "arsenal."

I did the same thing yesterday, listening to both of his Choice records (now on Candid CDs).

One of the original covers:

post-282-0-36839100-1323356511_thumb.jpg

Candid CD Covers:

post-282-0-03057500-1323356558_thumb.jpg post-282-0-76706900-1323356545_thumb.jpg

For anyone who hasn't heard these recordings, I'd recommend them without hesitation, particularly if you have (and like) some Giuffre recordings already. Sound samples are on Amazon. They're not nearly as "free" as Free Fall. The Rex Butters article (linked above) implies that Eastern philosophy was at least a partial influence when these LPs were made (one track is titled "Om" after all, but this is far away from Coltrane's recording of the same title). Wesley LaViolette's version of mysticism also seems to have inspired Giuffre at this time. The melodies are often very trance-like, Giuffre's horn playing in octave unison with Kiyoshi Tokunaga's bass, while Randy Kaye occasionally adds what sounds like nipple gongs (could be wrong on that; it's some type of miniature gong). Giuffre's not the best flautist (he plays both standard and bass flutes here), but he somehow turns his limitations into an advantage, never opting for rapid-fire lines, and instead focusing on shifts in pitch and interval. I wish he'd picked up the baritone saxophone for these recordings; I'd really liked to have heard the big horn in such a context. The recorded sound on these albums, by the way, is very natural and up-front. In total, a big :tup .

Also wanted to add that, per the Martin Williams essay, I can't stop thinking about what the sound of the "Jimmy Giuffre 3" when Don Pullen was in the group must have been like. Giuffre, Pullen, and Cecil McBee? Maybe Giuffre recorded some the rehearsals ...

• 1 year later...

From November 16, 1966 to December 3, 1966, Giuffre was part of a stage production — entitled "The Apparition Theatre of Prague" — performed at The Cort Theater in New York. "The Jimmy Giuffre Quartet" was responsible for the music, but I can't find any personnel listing.

Like a puzzle, pieces that make up a portrait of Giuffre from these ten years (1963-1973) slowly fill in. If any new posters have any information on, or observations about, this period of Giuffre's musical career, please share! When artists seemingly go "underground" — meaning, essentially, that there's no documentation of their work — they often, in fact, aren't underground at all. They might very well be down the street, scuffling: taking gigs, freelancing, etc. In a way, it seems like the most interesting (or maybe I should just say "intriguing") time frame of Giuffre's musical career was when he was the least recorded.

Oh yes — and in 1963, Giuffre lent his microphone and recorder to Roswell Rudd. The gesture resulted in the recording (with Steve Lacy) we now know as School Days.

• 3 months later...

Oh yes — and in 1963, Giuffre lent his microphone and recorder to Roswell Rudd. The gesture resulted in the recording (with Steve Lacy) we now know as School Days.

IIRC there was an unrecorded Giuffre quartet with Lacy around this time.

Lacy and Giuffre played together a couple of years earlier for a few weeks (1960?), but there was a lack of compatibility and it didn't work out.

Lacy and Giuffre played together a couple of years earlier for a few weeks (1960?), but there was a lack of compatibility and it didn't work out.

Where did you read this? (Not doubting, just wondering about the source.) Two of my all-time favorite improvisers. I wouldn't think to put them together, but who knows ...

Where did you read this? (Not doubting, just wondering about the source.) Two of my all-time favorite improvisers. I wouldn't think to put them together, but who knows ...

It's from interviews with Lacy collected in the book Conversations. I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe they played together not long before Giuffre recorded his album at the Five Spot. I'm think that combination would have worked much better a few years later.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...