subcontrabass saxophone

Holy Crap, that' LOW.

Tuning seems quite "flexible" or perhaps it's the operator and not the instrument.

This is what I unfortunately woke up to today... :ph34r::eye:

Ok...so I dig Charlie Ventura's bass sax playing, and I'm sure James Carter has one too...but geez....a whole album???

I'm gonna look this up when I'm bored at work.

LOL

Holy Crap, that' LOW.

Tuning seems quite "flexible" or perhaps it's the operator and not the instrument.

This is what I unfortunately woke up to today... :ph34r::eye:

Ok...so I dig Charlie Ventura's bass sax playing, and I'm sure James Carter has one too...but geez....a whole album???

I'm gonna look this up when I'm bored at work.

LOL

the vibrations this video set up in my house, even with crappy youtube sound, are incredible.

hell, threadgill will probably compose a piece for a sub quartet, if he hasn't already, and it will sound great.

SoLow.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the guy I saw playing solo at The London Jazz Festival last year as the warm-up act for Bobby Bradford.

It's true that the sound he made from this enormous saxophone was impressive but listening to him playing it solo, soon became pretty boring. A bit of a "one-trick pony" unfortunately.

SoLow.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the guy I saw playing solo at The London Jazz Festival last year as the warm-up act for Bobby Bradford.

It's true that the sound he made from this enormous saxophone was impressive but listening to him playing it solo, soon became pretty boring. A bit of a "one-trick pony" unfortunately.

now, if he could overblow it, we might have something!!!!!!!

I have this recording. I bought it after seeing Jay Easton perform at a Christmas concert at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. He did a meet-the-members-of-the-sax-family type of presentation with a small orchestra backing him up (including a contrabass clarinet (the 'paperclip') in the woodwinds section). It was mostly holiday favorites for the kids although he did play a really nice piece by Walter S. Hartley (the name escapes me). One thing that I thought was funny was when he went backstage and came back out with the contrabass sax there was a big 'ooooooh' from the crowd and one kid tried to hide behind his mother.

And the song he played on the contrabass sax was "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch".

I have this recording. I bought it after seeing Jay Easton perform at a Christmas concert at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. He did a meet-the-members-of-the-sax-family type of presentation with a small orchestra backing him up (including a contrabass clarinet (the 'paperclip') in the woodwinds section). It was mostly holiday favorites for the kids although he did play a really nice piece by Walter S. Hartley (the name escapes me). One thing that I thought was funny was when he went backstage and came back out with the contrabass sax there was a big 'ooooooh' from the crowd and one kid tried to hide behind his mother.

And the song he played on the contrabass sax was "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch".

Walter Hartley is a great composer, and has written quite a bit for the saxophone. Kenneth Tse has recorded a few of his compositions, very well, BTW.