king ubu

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not exactly, but there is some new prez from glendale civic auditorium, los angeles (november 3, 1939) with basie´s band: "what´s new" (helen humes on vocal), "swinging the blues". together with the known "one o´clock jump" (issued years ago and not mentioned in evensmo jazz archeology lester young solography under this date) we have now three tracks from this one-nighter. it is avaiable on the brand new d-cd from the netherlands from the dr.jazz stichting and called "dinnertime for hungry collectors".

keep boppin´

marcel

Three more recordings from the Glendale engagement can be heard at Dave Radlauer's "Jazz Rhythm" site as part of a Basie series, here:

These are from the collection of the late Charlie "Duff" Campbell (Charlie passed away last year). Three new performances, Pound Cake, Oh, Lady Be Good!, and Roses Of Picardy (Rushing, voc). Lester solos (brilliantly!) on the non-vocal tracks and there's obbligato on the Rushing number.

Oh, Lady Be Good! and Pound Cake are on "COUNT_BASIE_2B.mp3"; Roses Of Picardy is on "COUNT_BASIE_4B.mp3".

Well recorded, well preserved Pres!

Has anyone else looked at Jan Evensmo's newly posted Pred solography on the Jazz Archaeology website? He notes a recently discovered 2Nd take of Lady Be Good from 1936! Yes, that one! ...

Any news on this? It's over 2 years now ...

Q

Well, the news is that Evensmo scolded us (the public/the subscribers of his newsletter) for lack of interest ... but please tell me how I can lay my hands on these (and add the entire Savory collection if you will) or whom I could write in order to be able to buy a legit CD release of it ;)

Still no release that I am aware of. I listened to these rediscovered tracks at the Harlem Jazz Museum last year - incredible stuff.

It sure is. I'm on their mailing list, but I've heard nothing more on any possible release date for any of this material.

gregmo

not exactly, but there is some new prez from glendale civic auditorium, los angeles (november 3, 1939) with basie´s band: "what´s new" (helen humes on vocal), "swinging the blues". together with the known "one o´clock jump" (issued years ago and not mentioned in evensmo jazz archeology lester young solography under this date) we have now three tracks from this one-nighter. it is avaiable on the brand new d-cd from the netherlands from the dr.jazz stichting and called "dinnertime for hungry collectors".

keep boppin´

marcel

Three more recordings from the Glendale engagement can be heard at Dave Radlauer's "Jazz Rhythm" site as part of a Basie series, here:

These are from the collection of the late Charlie "Duff" Campbell (Charlie passed away last year). Three new performances, Pound Cake, Oh, Lady Be Good!, and Roses Of Picardy (Rushing, voc). Lester solos (brilliantly!) on the non-vocal tracks and there's obbligato on the Rushing number.

Oh, Lady Be Good! and Pound Cake are on "COUNT_BASIE_2B.mp3"; Roses Of Picardy is on "COUNT_BASIE_4B.mp3".

Well recorded, well preserved Pres!

wonderful, thanks a lot for the link, James accardi!

Keep boppin´

marcel

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have two incomplete versions of that tune and the rest of the broadcast on this (hard to find) disc:

https://www.discogs.com/Lester-Young-Volume-6-1944-The-Complementary-Works/release/8861281

Another broadcast version appears on Volume 2 of the same series;

https://www.murfie.com/albums/lester-young-masters-of-jazz-lester-young-volume-2-1939-1942

Edited by jazzbo

• 6 months later...

Well,

instead to reply at the topic I have a question and I hope someone will be able to solve it:

readind the Martin Willias note on Crisis we can read:

Space Jungle is a collectively improvised relatively light-weight, and perhaps light-hearted but far from frivolous, piece. On it, Coleman plays his violin, Dewey Redman plays clarinet, and Cherry plays Indian flute, an instrument on which he gets a lovely sound. 

Well the titles in which Don plays flute is Trouble in the East (also in the recent CD reissue by Real Gone Music.)

So what's the mistake? We can considerer correct space jungle for the flute or Williams wrong on wrinting his note?

I'm not sure to be clear I hope you are able to understand my request

Greetings

Luciano

On 7/6/2017 at 4:05 AM, Captain Howdy said:

I've downloaded Vol. 3 of That Devilin' Tune from the interwebs and have been sorting through it. Does anyone know where "Benny's Bugle" by Lester Young (Dec. 2, 1941) comes from, i.e. if it appears on another CD? I think I have most of Prez's stuff prior to the Savoy recordings, but I haven't been able to find this recording in my collection.

On 7/6/2017 at 4:54 AM, jazzbo said:

I have two incomplete versions of that tune and the rest of the broadcast on this (hard to find) disc:

https://www.discogs.com/Lester-Young-Volume-6-1944-The-Complementary-Works/release/8861281

Another broadcast version appears on Volume 2 of the same series;

https://www.murfie.com/albums/lester-young-masters-of-jazz-lester-young-volume-2-1939-1942

On 7/6/2017 at 5:15 AM, Captain Howdy said:

It's probably the Volume 2 version then, since that one is listed as "Benny's Bugle / Sign Off" at 3:54 and mine is 3:02 and fades out very abruptly, presumably to cut off the announcer.

On 7/6/2017 at 6:01 AM, Captain Howdy said:

I just discovered the full version with sign-off is also on the Rhino box set Central Avenue Sounds: Jazz in Los Angeles 1921-1956.

https://www.amazon.com/Central-Avenue-Sounds-Angeles-1921-1956/dp/B00000JZAC

I think the version on this LP is complete? https://www.discogs.com/Various-Historical-Prez-Lester-Young-1940-1944/release/3203384

I'll say that this is some of my favorite Lester, period. The 1944 stuff with basie is as good as it gets!

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think the version on this LP is complete? https://www.discogs.com/Various-Historical-Prez-Lester-Young-1940-1944/release/3203384

I'll say that this is some of my favorite Lester, period. The 1944 stuff with basie is as good as it gets!

Yes, those Basie tracks on Historical Pres never made it to CD as far as I know, but they are dynamite. 

• 1 month later...

Reposting info from the Robert Sunenblick R.I.P. thread that's pertinent to this one:  on the Lester Young Appreciation Society Facebook page yesterday, Loren Schoenberg commented that he had written notes for a 4-CD set of 1944 Lester w/Basie Uptown set that has gone unreleased to date.  Here's hoping that someone else picks up that ball and runs with it!

I wonder who would take it on, though.  A four-CD set?  Once upon a time I would have thought Mosaic, but probably a stretch for them these days.  Hep seems to be out of the game regarding new CD releases.  Is Hindsight still active?  Would Resonance countenance a set of that size?  But yeah, I'd pre-order it immediately too.  

Edited by ghost of miles

Sunenblick also had, for a long time, early Jaki Byard. He never put it our because he didn't feel like there was enough material, which is stupid because with Jaki who cares? There is basically no other early Byard material. Would kill for that.

As for the Prez, get me a master and I'll put it out. It's incredibly cheap to replicate CDs these days. Put the notes on line, and replicating 4 volumes would be about $1200. Buy digipaks ($.90 a piece), put 'em in and sell the set for $30 - sell about 40-50 and you've made your money back.

I still have a fair amount of this material from when I was working with Bob - Basie/Lester, Byard, Dodo, JPJ, Mulligan, etc. He was great for finding these things. The Basie material is indeed 8 discs but not as enticing as it sounds. Stories to tell........

Edited by Chuck Nessa

6 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

IThe Basie material is indeed 8 discs but not as enticing as it sounds. Stories to tell........

In what way? Curious to know ....

Even in the vinyl days live recordings by the 40s Basie bands were fairly plentiful. Admittedly I have a LOT of Basie on vinyl but not nearly all of those airshot/live LPs issued in the 70s/80s - yet those I do own already include some 7 or 8 LPs with material from 1944. So what else is out there, I wonder, that transcends (on average) everything so far issued? Or doesn't it, after all?

I'd be interested in hearing about the DETAILS of what may not be up to snuff (by what criteria?) there or what "stories" there are anyway. (And of course it would be interesting to see if really all of the Uptown material would be new on the market)
Besides, wouldn't it be sad and uncalled for, particularly among real jazz connoisseurs, if the Basie band were reduced to Lester Young only?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 years later...