*****Lester Young Corner*****

king ubu

It seems that people ARE interested in releasing the material, but that "copyright" is an issue. In other words, money has to be paid to the holders of the rights to this music. Since this music is in the public domain, and will be reissued and marketed immediately in Europe after its first release, any label that would agree to pay the money would most likely have to take a loss on it. That is the sad truth.

Unfortunately. Still, there are so many reasons for issuing such historically important music. Someone compared it to finding rare poem from well-known writer, or musical score long thought gone.

I think about it the same.

Probably, some kind man or label will turn out in near future...

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems that people ARE interested in releasing the material, but that "copyright" is an issue. In other words, money has to be paid to the holders of the rights to this music. Since this music is in the public domain, and will be reissued and marketed immediately in Europe after its first release, any label that would agree to pay the money would most likely have to take a loss on it. That is the sad truth.

Unfortunately. Still, there are so many reasons for issuing such historically important music. Someone compared it to finding rare poem from well-known writer, or musical score long thought gone.

I think about it the same.

Probably, some kind man or label will turn out in near future...

Alternatively, they could sell it as a download. That might be more logical, given its short length.

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order for the Savoy 2-cd set, which will be my first discs by Prez. Did I select a good introduction to Lester? I'll peruse this thread for more... :cool:

Not a bad introduction at all - it's some of his best mid-to-late 40's work, rivaled (and maybe surpassed) by the Aladdin and Keynote recordings. I particularly like the boppish 1949 session with Jesse Drake, Junior Mance, and Roy Haynes.

(Edited because I can't spell.)

Edited by jeffcrom

Just placed an order for the Savoy 2-cd set, which will be my first discs by Prez. Did I select a good introduction to Lester? I'll peruse this thread for more... :cool:

Not a bad introduction at all - it's some of his best mid-to-late 40's work, rivaled (and maybe surpassed) by the Aladdin and Keynote recordings. I particularly like the boppish 1949 session with Jesse Drake, Junior Mance, and Roy Haynes.

(Edited because I can't spell.)

Yes, the 1949 session is a beauty. The 1950 live session on disc 2 of the Savoy package is some of my favorite Pres on wax, meaning some of my favorite music on wax.

Hm, I kind of forgot about the great live material on disc 2 of the Savoy set - hellyeah!

The other studio dates I don't find that thrilling... but for Presophiles such as us few here, there's always some magic in his playing, regardless how improbable or unfitting the surroundings are (Glenn Hardman's Hammond Five, anyone?)

Hm, I kind of forgot about the great live material on disc 2 of the Savoy set - hellyeah!

The other studio dates I don't find that thrilling... but for Presophiles such as us few here, there's always some magic in his playing, regardless how improbable or unfitting the surroundings are (Glenn Hardman's Hammond Five, anyone?)

But, if you didn't have the Hammond Five, you couldn't have the "Upright Organ Blues"!

But, if you didn't have the Hammond Five, you couldn't have the "Upright Organ Blues"!

Yeah, you have a point there :lol:

I was astonished by that session when I gave the Pres Mosaic a first listen a few weeks ago - have known it for several years, and the pedestrian organ is always a drawback, but Pres is in terrific shape!

• 2 weeks later...

In that case, you might not like this one either. Most of it is a pretty typical JATP date. In fact, it comes from several JATP dates, and Pres and Ben only play on a few tracks. But there are two Pres features, including part of Birks' Works, that will more than justify the purchase for us fanatics.

In that case, you might not like this one either. Most of it is a pretty typical JATP date. In fact, it comes from several JATP dates, and Pres and Ben only play on a few tracks. But there are two Pres features, including part of Birks' Works, that will more than justify the purchase for us fanatics.

Thanks for the tip John L, I'll give it a miss then.

Lonehill also released this one a while back;

51twNt5IlQL._SS500_.jpg

which contains, obviously enough, the 7 tunes that were on this one, (I know it had 6 tunes originally);

41222438S1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But it also had a quartet session with John Lewis and Gene Ramey and Jo Jones from 1951, which is excellent, so if you don't have the original Pres & Teddy, you should probably get the one on Lonehill.

Was this the original cover of the session with Lewis?, or is it a completly different session altogether, I see Ray Brown and Buddy Rich names on the cover, it seems to have been re-issued in Japan fairly recently.

51DeysG3XhL._SS500_.jpg

And I love the Storyville 100 Years: Forever Young set, I even like the anouncements, I feel thay add to the whole thing rather than take away.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Was this the original cover of the session with Lewis?, or is it a completly different session altogether, I see Ray Brown and Buddy Rich names on the cover, it seems to have been re-issued in Japan fairly recently.

51DeysG3XhL._SS500_.jpg

Yes, this was the original release (Norgran MGN 1072) of the sessions with John Lewis. Cover photo by Herman Leonard.

• 2 weeks later...