Joseph Jarman Seriously Ill

Leeway

Received this email from Chris Carville:

a note from thulani davis on joseph jarmans health......

Dear friends,

First, just to reiterate for anyone who didn't get my phone message: The Actors Fund sent Joseph by ambulance yesterday afternoon to Englewood Hospital (only a short distance from where he lives) because he was too weak to stand or walk, and he has been losing his ability to walk over the past two weeks in spite of physical therapy, a cane, a walker, etc.

A CT scan revealed that he had a massive blot clot between the brain and its lining on the left side of his head. We are not sure what caused it, possibly a fall he had after the huge storm here a few weeks back, which Englewood very hard. He has not had a drink since Labor Day, so that was not the issue though alcoholism can cause them to occur spontaneously in later life. The neurosurgeon said it was putting tremendous pressure on his brain. He had emergency surgery
to remove the clot -- they had to clear the OR to push him ahead of everyone because he could have died had they waited and would have died had he not gone to the hospital. So I am very grateful he was no longer in his apartment.

By the time the surgeon spoke with him he no longer knew where he was or what year it is, so with Joseph listening I gave permission as nearest next of kin on the phone while in my car heading over there. When I arrived he was in some pain and said he had a terrible pressure on the right side of his head.

The surgery went fine, the surgeon said, and he could not predict how much of his motor and brain function will return, saying finally, "the answer to all your questions is: we have to see day by day." While I was waiting for him to come up in the recovery room he had a seizure, which they tell me is common with brain surgery. As a result he will be in an ICU probably at least two days because they will have to monitor him in case of further seizures. They knocked him back out to stop the seizure, so he was sleeping pretty hard when I saw him. All of his vital signs are being monitored and were doing fine when I left. He has an incision along the left side of his head and a drain taking blood out, all very neatly done up in such a way you would hardly notice so much drama had gone on.

For those of you to whom I sent the phone number, you can ask how he is but will probably not get to speak to him if he's in the ICU.

Here's the number again:

Englewood Hospital

On two brighter notes, 1) the clot was not on the side the controls him knowing music. 2) This is a very fancy hospital --Gevalia & expresso machines in the stylish cafeteria..but most stunning, the only portrait gracing the hotel-like main lobby is a gorgeous shot of Dizzy Gillespie playing his horn. So Joseph is in the right place.

And if I ever hit the mega millions, I'm going to give some dough to the Actors Fund--right after I take a long vacation.

Douglas, would you let Thurman and Muhal know? I don't have their email. Thanks.

g'nite.

t

When I got my copy of the email yesterday afternoon, I could see that the original had been sent to about 12 recipients by its author Thulani Davis, which apparently led the recipients to think that Davis wanted them to forward it to other interested parties, one of whom sent it to Leeway, who posted it here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...