The Facebook Resisters

Brad

You could easily set up a FB page for your BeBop identity. All you need is an email address. No one is forced to upload pictures, or to befriend anyone who might know your real identity. There are a lot of business pages which are entirely impersonal.

Thanks for this information. I was vaguely aware of this possibility. The "good" would be that I could join the "first to know" on promos. But in terms of cashing in on special rates, my understanding is that the targeted promotions would go to my fictional alter ego. And, of course, the contests require actual identities - for the promo sponsors and for the tax man.

Demanding the same rates and concessions from management would likely be successful. Or at least worth a try.

I'm usually told "it's a corporate deal"; remember, most hotels are just franchises, so there's a limit to what they can initiate.

Lots of the companies with whom I do business use it as something of a prostitution business. Example: I spend 100+ nights a year in each of three, major hotel chains. You'd think this would make me a favored (or at least not dis-favored) customer. But who do these chains offer ther best discounts to? Who do they ply with free nights and contests? Who are the first to learn of sales? Who get the free drink coupons? Yep, the people who "like" them on Facebook (I hope that's the right term) or "follow" them on Twitter. So much for my US$150,000 a year, money where my mouth is. I'd be better off clicking a button.

Demanding the same rates and concessions from management would likely be successful. Or at least worth a try.

This is kind of like asking "why does my company pay so much to the airlines for business travel when it's some grandmother who only flies once every five years who gets by far the lowest fares?" Well, your company pays this much for airfare largely because your company is willing to be a sucker.

I pay for my own travel, then seek reimbursement. The bummer is when the best rate I can get at the optimal property is over my rate limits, while the Facebook friends get a better rate or when my employer lowers the available reimbursement because "so and so" got "such and such" a rate.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The magic words these days are, "hello, I would like to cancel my account." (It helps to have a backup plan in case they are willing to actually let you cancel your account without making concessions, though.)

Ha! Yes I know that, that's why haven't taken that route - yet. No use unless I'm really prepared to follow through.

However it remains a possibility given:

a. My finacial situation is grim; and

b. Much as we love our pay TV, truth is after six or so years it could actually be areally good thing for my son and I to get rid of it and create something new and meaningful from the vacuum.

Edited by kenny weir

Yes. The magic words these days are, "hello, I would like to cancel my account." (It helps to have a backup plan in case they are willing to actually let you cancel your account without making concessions, though.)

Ha! Yes I know that, that's why haven't taken that route - yet. No use unless I'm really prepared to follow through.

b. Much as we love our pay TV, truth is after six or so years it could actually be areally good thing for my son and I to get rid of it and create something new and meaningful from the vacuum.

And for me, well, there are about six major hotel chains and I think they all play the game. At some point, everyone will "Like" them andthe playing field will re-level.

I need a "Hate" button to click. Even if it did nothing, I'd feel better.

And for me, well, there are about six major hotel chains and I think they all play the game. At some point, everyone will "Like" them andthe playing field will re-level.

Not bloody likely. The idea is simply to have your information, which is worth money to them. To have it exclusively concerns them much less. And I believe having everyone's information is what's known in the business world as "a nice problem to have."

Look at other loyalty programs. Just because everyone is a Frequent Flier with 3 different airlines, or has a loyalty card for 5 different supermarkets, isn't getting anyone to stop offering related deals. Maybe the discounts will taper off a bit once enough people start to redeem them, but I doubt the stuff like contests (which cost virtually nothing) will.

More likely is that you'll see the deals just get more and more complicated to try and lure people instead of simply giving them better prices. We already see this with airlines - "sign up with our frequent flier dining/florist/housewares partner program and earn more miles." The airline already has lots of your information, but there's still money to be made by tracking even more of your shopping habits.

Edited by Big Wheel

I have no interest in FB. Seems like a weird mania to me; something akin to the Dutch tulip craze of long ago. Although this craze has a distinctly American flavor to it, like some gigantic, ritualized form of Rotary Club type back-slapping. Anyway, glad some enjoy it, like it, use it for business, pleasure, whatever. I absolutely feel no need for it; indeed, the idea of signing up makes me rather ill to contemplate it.

I have no interest in FB. Seems like a weird mania to me; something akin to the Dutch tulip craze of long ago. Although this craze has a distinctly American flavor to it, like some gigantic, ritualized form of Rotary Club type back-slapping. Anyway, glad some enjoy it, like it, use it for business, pleasure, whatever. I absolutely feel no need for it; indeed, the idea of signing up makes me rather ill to contemplate it.

Fair enough, too!

However, a big part of the reason I feel reasonably comfortable with Facebook is that I have spent so many years at places like ... this. Not a lot of difference to me.

Although this craze has a distinctly American flavor to it

Not really. Indonesia is 2nd in terms of user population and the UK's % of FB users in the total population is close to the US. Brazil added another 4.75 million just last week and it looks like Vietnamese dig it too and you don't have to dig much to see it's popular in the Middle East. It's just another permutation on the methods of communication and it's up to you on how to use it or not. I don't have cable TV nor a cell phone (no CB radio either) but I use FB, so we all have differences on how to use this stuff.

There's a huge difference. Jim's not making money selling your personal information.

That's a very minor difference to me. Basically anything you do on the internet these days gathers your personal info - at least with FB it's only getting what I willingly post/offer them.

What was the tulip craze? I missed it, and it seems like something I would have liked to have been a part of.

Just another mania; check the link:

Tulip Mania

This might also be useful:

Popular Delusions

Although this craze has a distinctly American flavor to it

Not really. Indonesia is 2nd in terms of user population and the UK's % of FB users in the total population is close to the US. Brazil added another 4.75 million just last week and it looks like Vietnamese dig it too and you don't have to dig much to see it's popular in the Middle East. It's just another permutation on the methods of communication and it's up to you on how to use it or not. I don't have cable TV nor a cell phone (no CB radio either) but I use FB, so we all have differences on how to use this stuff.

Hollywood films have a distinctly American flavor to them but are picked up all over the world.

I just see FB as a form of Rotarianism run amock.

Facebook is far more boring and mundane than all of that.

• 7 months later...

Couldn't find a Twitter thread, so this'll do.

So, Twitter is a great medium for freedom of speech, except for the fact that there's no context or depth, and except for the fact that there's no freedom of speech.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/twitter-prompted-nbc-request-ban-journalist-critical-olympics-163604608.html

That's already old and no longer accurate news...

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/twitter-suspends-guy-adams-london-olympic-criticism-nbc-sports-gary-zenkel-email/

Facebook is far more boring and mundane than all of that.

I suppose it all depends on one's friends. :w

• 1 month later...