Prestige International & Folk Releases - Who Knew?

JSngry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA 30008 Morris Carnovsky Reads Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground

Many years ago I heard this played on WBAI and taped it (reel-to-reel). Carnovsky only recorded the first part of the book, and they played the remainder as read by Stacy Keach, which may have been done specifically for the radio station.

I can't remember the last time I skipped barefoot through the heather, however.

Edited by Pete C

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Jim, I don't recall a Riverside children's series, as such (Wonderland Records came after I left), but there were some comedy albums like Louis Nye's "Heigh-Ho Madison Avenue," which they spent a lot of money promoting (the PR kit came in a black briefcase). Barrett Clark, a stage actor/director/TV writer, produced several drama-oriented releases, as well as the immortal "Sounds of the Home" series of dripping faucets and slamming screen doors, "Sounds of Sebring" and other fun rev'ed up albums, etc. He was also—though rather regrettably—the audio engineer on my "Chicago: The Living Legends" series. BTW, my favorite Limerick comes from one of Barrett's albums:

On the breast of a woman named Gail,

was tattooed the price of her tail,

and on her behind,

for the sake of the blind,

was the same information in braille.

Billboard-July141962.jpg

I've got a copy of this Riverside 4LP boxed set of Alice in Wonderland as read by Cyril Ritchard.

IMG_5128.JPG

There is a December 2, 1954 session by a band named Juan Tirado Mambo Band:

Don Elliott (vib) Hecor Romero (p) John Drernak (b) Juan Tirado (tim) Frank Conlon (bgo) Eleuterio Frasqueta (cga)

Only two of the four tracks recorded were released on a Prestige single, among the two unissued is a "Farmer's Market Mambo" - maybe a cubanized version of the Art Farmer tune?

Edited by mikeweil

• 4 weeks later...

Kenneth Goldstein produced a lot of the stuff that's been illustrated here. He also produced recordings for Bluesville, including some Lightnin' Hopkins and Memphis Slim.

I wonder what happened to him? The name is familiar in other contexts that I can't identify.

MG

Found him on the internet: NY Times obit; the obit dates from November 15, 1995.

Edited by J.A.W.

Kenneth Goldstein produced a lot of the stuff that's been illustrated here. He also produced recordings for Bluesville, including some Lightnin' Hopkins and Memphis Slim.

I wonder what happened to him? The name is familiar in other contexts that I can't identify.

MG

Found him on the internet: NY Times obit; the obit dates from November 15, 1995.

Very interesting, thanks Hans.

MG

• 2 months later...