Prestige International & Folk Releases - Who Knew?

JSngry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PitreMolitor.jpg

This is the cover of one of the most important Cajun French music lps ever. Austin Pitre on fiddle, Lurlin LeJeune on guitar, Melton Molitor on accordion. I love this album and this photo! Recorded by Dr. Harry Oster of LSU ~1956. Some of it was re-released officially by Arhoolie.

Write up: here

Edited by Neal Pomea

PitreMolitor.jpg

This is the cover of one of the most important Cajun French music lps ever. Austin Pitre on fiddle, Lurlin LeJeune on guitar, Melton Molitor on accordion. I love this album and this photo! Recorded by Dr. Harry Oster of LSU ~1956. Some of it was re-released officially by Arhoolie.

Write up: here

How did that ever get to Bob Weinstock?

Another label from the Prestige staple (Don Schlitten produced this one):

tumblr_ls7lvaY1sv1qhwx0o.jpgnorman%20mailer%20back.jpg

The Lively Arts label catalogue:

Prestige Lively Arts 30000 series (12 inch LP)

LA 30001 Billy Dee Williams - Let's Misbehave

LA 30002 A Taste Of Hermione Baddeley

LA 30003 Roddy McDowall Reads The Horror Stories Of H.P. Lovecraft

LA 30004 Burgess Meredith Reads Ray Bradbury

LA 30005 Larry Storch Reads Philip Roth's Epstein

LA 30006 James Mason Reads The Imp Of The Perverse And Other Stories By Edgar Allen Poe

LA 30007 James Mason Reads Herman Melville's Bartleby, The Scrivener

LA 30008 Morris Carnovsky Reads Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground

LA 30009 Norman Mailer Reads Norman Mailer

Don Schlitten also produced the Burgess Meredith reads Ray Bradbury album, which was wonderful. The Billy Dee Williams cabaret album, "Let's Misbehave", was terrible—I gave it to Aretha, who wanted it badly (for non-musical reasons). Then, too, there is Los Morenos, a Flamenco album that Rudy engineered and I produced—they brought their own roll-away wooden dance floor. These non-jazz sets don't necessarily reflect Bob Weinstock's taste.

Thanks Jim! How did you ever dig up that album? I had forgotten that Don Schlitten conceived and arranged for this—a concept album? I've never before seen an "arranged for" credit, I doubt if Don had to work hard to get them, their floor, and castanets to Englewood Cliffs! Also wonder why I was asked to produce the session, and why the call came from Bob Weinstock. In fact, I have been wondering about this album since July 22, 1961.

BTW, that hole in the album is not from a Flamenco hater's bullet—it indicated that the record was a promotional copy. At Prestige, it was drilled by Pop Weinstock, Bob's father, who manned a huge floor model drill and did his best to aim between the record's natural hole and the label's edge.

Sounds as if you're just as curious about it as I am!

That record, and many others seen in this thread are being showcased in a sharity blog, the name of which matches that of a certain Coltrane album that could be paraphrased as "Solar Sea Vessel". More information than that would likely incur the wrath of the board's rules, so let's let that be that. But I find it fascinating how the interest in "world music" that began in earnest in the late 50s/early 60s manifest itself on jazz labels like Prestige & World Pacific/Pacific Jazz, and...who else? And then when I see Chris Albertson producing a flamingo record, I'm all like WHOA!!!

There's also a thread going on here (in this same Discography forum) about the Riverside children's records. Any input you might care to give on that would certainly be welcome, as I know that you had a very good relationship with Bill Grauer, and this endeavor seemed to be of real interest to him.

Jim, I don't recall a Riverside children's series, as such (Wonderland Records came after I left), but there were some comedy albums like Louis Nye's "Heigh-Ho Madison Avenue," which they spent a lot of money promoting (the PR kit came in a black briefcase). Barrett Clark, a stage actor/director/TV writer, produced several drama-oriented releases, as well as the immortal "Sounds of the Home" series of dripping faucets and slamming screen doors, "Sounds of Sebring" and other fun rev'ed up albums, etc. He was also—though rather regrettably—the audio engineer on my "Chicago: The Living Legends" series. BTW, my favorite Limerick comes from one of Barrett's albums:

On the breast of a woman named Gail,

was tattooed the price of her tail,

and on her behind,

for the sake of the blind,

was the same information in braille.

Billboard-July141962.jpg