Rare Jimmy Smith Documentary up on YouTube!

mrmelodiousthunk

He was cantankerous for sure; I only saw him live once and I tried to get back stage to meet him but his handlers were having none of it. He was sour and surly on stage, started 90 minutes late, and only played for 45 minutes. But then again he was in his upper 70s and I'm still glad I saw him live. He changed how the instrument is played, single-handedly redefining it. Can't say that for many other folks, regardless of instrument.

Indeed.

Many of us are surly jerks, with little or no brilliancy to offset it. I count myself among those.

Few would dispute that Jimmy Smith was, by all accounts, a less than genial person. But he persuaded millions listen to the organ. As you say, it changed the sound of jazz, as well as rock, taking the organ out of church, to a much larger audience.

Edited by patricia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For what it's worth.

Really cool memories shared there by Malone. And his take on Jimmy Smith's gruff demeanor shows that there was another side to his personality. Maybe it depended on how one reacted to the first taste of Smith's abrasiveness, because it seems like Malone was able to get past it and gain Jimmy's favor.

• 9 months later...

I’ve met & talked with JS a few times, his reputation & nasty tantrums are legendary.

Groove Holmes told me he was a little insecure egomaniac, who had great talent, and could have retired a millionaire,

but his mouth & addictions forced him to work till he died.

Groove, Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff, Diz, Moody, all were sweet ,friendly guys by comparison.