Rare Jimmy Smith Documentary up on YouTube!

mrmelodiousthunk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't know if this is exactly the right place to post this, but I thought it might be of interest to forum members. I recently uploaded a fairly rare (German) documentary on Jimmy Smith (from 1965) to my YouTube page. You can check it out at:

-Ryan

I fell in love with Jimmy Smith when I heard his version of "Walk On The Wild Side." It made my heart smile. Adore this man and his music.

I don't speak German, but it doesn't really matter, if you have the music, the truly international language. Thanks kiddo.

Did the one or both of the parents of the son-of-a-seacook cook the biscuit that was eaten one or both of the parents of the son-of-a-biscuit-eater?

Also, was said biscuit prepared on land or at sea?

It's little things like this that ultimately mold character, so these are questions worth asking - and having answered!

You assume right.

Those who have met him and knew him have described him as a cantankerous son-of-a-seacook.

I only know his music.

I only saw him perform once, and it made me wonder how anybody would work with him as either a musician or crew, considering the abuse he showered on all in front of the audience.

Edited by Pete C

Did the one or both of the parents of the son-of-a-seacook cook the biscuit that was eaten one or both of the parents of the son-of-a-biscuit-eater?

Also, was said biscuit prepared on land or at sea?

It's little things like this that ultimately mold character, so these are questions worth asking - and having answered!

Don't make my head hurt like that.;)

He was cantankerous for sure; I only saw him live once and I tried to get back stage to meet him but his handlers were having none of it. He was sour and surly on stage, started 90 minutes late, and only played for 45 minutes. But then again he was in his upper 70s and I'm still glad I saw him live. He changed how the instrument is played, single-handedly redefining it. Can't say that for many other folks, regardless of instrument.