The Great Song Stylists - Male Vs. Female Singers

Regarding the classic jazz and pop song stylists who sang the Great American Songbook:

When it comes to female vocalists, there are so many that I love - Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, Ella, June Christy, Julie London, Anita O'Day, Dinah, Jo Stafford, the list goes on. There are so many good ones that it is hard if not impossible for me to rank them in any kind of meaningful order.

However, when it comes to male vocalists, I easily place Frank at the VERY top, and think there is a really steep drop until you hit the next level. I don't mean to knock any of the other male singers; I love Tony Bennett, Mel Torme, many others, but I think Frank is in a class all by himself. Some would say Tony is a close second. I think he's nearly as good at the rhythmic, uptempo stuff, but as a ballad singer, I don't think he's half as great as Frank.

Not trying to create a let's-trash-male-vocalists thread; I just think this is an interesting dichotomy.

of course we all forgot the best, LOUIS ARMSTRONG.

I think Paul was referring to Armstrong when he mentioned Louis FOUR POSTS ABOVE YOURS... unless he was talking about Louis Prima, of course.

I kind of get the premise here, but it's really all too subjective, and I became slightly disoriented when I saw Julie London and Jo Stafford mentioned before Sarah Vaughan and Carmen McRae. But I know you weren't really doing a serious ranking, so...

Props to Joe Williams, btw.

Regarding the classic jazz and pop song stylists who sang the Great American Songbook:

When it comes to female vocalists, there are so many that I love - Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, Ella, June Christy, Julie London, Anita O'Day, Dinah, Jo Stafford, the list goes on. There are so many good ones that it is hard if not impossible for me to rank them in any kind of meaningful order.

However, when it comes to male vocalists, I easily place Frank at the VERY top, and think there is a really steep drop until you hit the next level. I don't mean to knock any of the other male singers; I love Tony Bennett, Mel Torme, many others, but I think Frank is in a class all by himself. Some would say Tony is a close second. I think he's nearly as good at the rhythmic, uptempo stuff, but as a ballad singer, I don't think he's half as great as Frank.

Not trying to create a let's-trash-male-vocalists thread; I just think this is an interesting dichotomy.

Completely agree TTK.

So many great female vocalists while on the male side Sinatra really is in a class of his own.

In the either/or/both jazz+pop category, let's not forget Nat King Cole!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bCln5vLI_zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hmmm... the embed from YouTube doesn't seem to have worked. No idea why. Try here.

Edited by Tom Storer

In the either/or/both jazz+pop category, let's not forget Nat King Cole!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bCln5vLI_zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hmmm... the embed from YouTube doesn't seem to have worked. No idea why. Try here.

Fixed that embed for you, TStor! :cool:

Edited by Noj

Louis Armstrong and Nat King Cole were certainly in the top elite singers of the American songbook (IMO), but it would appear that not as many males sang the songbook as females. That doesn't mean that we have a shortage of great male singers.

No love for Rod Stewart? :D