Collecting

Hardbopjazz

If one was going to start collecting LPs from a label, are there any labels that won't cost hundreds per LP? Blue Note, Prestige and Riverside original pressings are way out of my league, unless I find some estate sale where the sellers have no clue of the value.

Any label(s)worth going after? I do have about six original LPs on Argo.

A more serious thought: Xanadu. Some good music on those LPs. Not to many or so tough to find as to be impossible. But a challenge and an accomplishment.

Or maybe Uptown. Nessa would be good if it suits your tastes, but, I'd think, harder.

Edited by BeBop

The following have enough variety and general quality to make collecting them interestingI think: Mainstream, Muse, Inner City, Milestone. I think Contemporary might still be within the bounds of affordability, although some titles will be pricey.

I suggest you use Discogs to scope out these and other labels and see if the label's body of work suits your tastes and interest: otherwise, why bother?

Prestige blue and purple label pressings (which sound great) are not hundreds of dollars in price. They can often be obtained for a modest price (just avoid the electronically reprocessed stereo ones).

Similarly, orange/black and red/black Impulses sound incredible, and most are not that expensive.

Contemporary LPs, particularly if recorded by Ray DuNann, are some of the best sounding LPs of all--many are not that expensive.

Columbia made great sounding records to the end of the sixties--the six eyes and two eyes label varieties.

RCA made wonderful LPs as well through the end of the 60s (the black dog label).

Capitol LPs also sound fantastic through the mid-60s or so.

Argo is also an excellent label, but I've found that 99 % of the Argo LPs one runs across are by Ahmad jamal or Ramsey Lewis.

That high price collector mania should be avoided--it's stupid.

I collected Argo but never with the intention of finding everything exhaustively. Prices were definitely easier on the wallet than some other labels. Beehive is a good choice because, iirc, there weren't all that many issues. But I don't think their distribution was very good and its probably pretty challenging to find them all. That rarity probably juices the prices a bit too but I am sure not to BN et. al. levels.