Sam Rivers RIP

david weiss

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was such a great musician.

I love his BlueNote albums as a leader and sideman with Tony Williams and saw him live in 1980 with his trio, and later I was quite astonished to see him together with Diz. He was a highly individual player.

I think he was a kind of mentor to Tony Williams and it was Tony who got Miles to use Sam Rivers for the Japan tour, where they recorded live.

Sad news in the middle of the night, I'm hours from home. I've been thinking about Sam lately, I'll have to dig out everything I own this week and listen to it...WKCR is in the middle of Bach fest, so probably no memorial broadcast until after new years.

RIP Sam Rivers.

Dreadful news. All I can say is that I am glad that I got the chance to attend a couple of his gigs, to meet him and have a nice chat. He was enthusiastic, endearingly modest and friendly. Just watching him pack up his many instruments in their cases with immaculate attention to detail spoke volumes. RIP Mr Rivers and I will play some of your landmark LPs today. :(

As Jeff points out, the passing of someone at age 88 should not come as a shock, but that does not lessen the loss. Sam Rivers was a musician whose work I came to admire greatly. His legacy will be a living reminder of his creative spirit.

Resting in peace is something we all eventually do—whether we want to, or not.