Stan Kenton Live: any recommendations please?

RiRiIII

In various discussions here, it was stressed that live recs of the Stan Kenton Big Band can be really good. Could you please provide me some recommendations on CD? Many thanks!

I checked this one that looks interesting:

51KB5K0E13L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That one's pretty boring, actually...more of a "nostalgia" album aimed at the older audiences. From a few years earlier, Live At Redlands University was the first album released on his own Creative World label (now available on GNP), and it's a fine document of a fine young band playing (mostly) fresh, invigorating material in a like manner. This was the album and the band that led to Kenton's reemergence onto the "contemporary big band" scene. In other words, it was a bit of a "comeback" album, and a fine one it was. I don't know that any of the albums after it quite hit this level of across-the-board consistency and inspiration.

Edited by JSngry

I just have a slight interest in Kenton, but a CD issued by Fantasy called Stompin' at Newport (from the 1957 festival) is a good one.

Kenton in Munich Sept 1953 with Zoot Sims ,June Christy and Lee Konitz among others-good one

I'll second that and add this one, from the Hep label--it features the Innovations Orchestra:

Stan Kenton at Carnegie Hall October 1951

The '53 band that toured Europe had that great sax section - Konitz, Schildkraut, Zoot, Bill Holman.

CDs are:

Munich 9/16/1953 on "Sounds of Yester Year"

Paris 9/18/1953 on "Jasmine"

There's also an interesting one from the Chicago Blue Note in 1952/3 where they do Graettinger's "Thermopylae" live. It gets a bit ragged ... :lol:

Q

Not wholly pertinent to your question, but this excellent Lee Konitz album, mostly with Swedish musicians, includes a "Lover Man" with the Kenton Orchestra from a concert in Sweden that is an out-of-body experience:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Konitz-Sweden-1951-53-RARE-Jazz-Vinyl-LP-Dragon-/400058309940#ht_1370wt_700

My preference is for the Kenton Band of the mid fifties with arrangements by people like Bill Holman and soloists such as Bill Perkins,

Lennie Niehaus, Pepper Adams, Davy Schildkraut, Charlie Mariano, Carl Fontana, Sam Noto, Jack Sheldon, Richie Kamuca and others.

Here are the CDs I have from that period.

Kenton '56 In Concert - Artistry

Kenton Plays Bill Holman Live - Artistry

Kenton '58 - Live at Keesler Air Force Base - Astral Jazz

Stan Kenton - Live At The Las vegas Tropicana - Capitol

Stan Kenton - Live At The Macumber Club 1956 - Magic Dawe

Stan Kenton - Live At The Macumber Club Part Two - Magic Dawe

Stan Kenton - Live From The Patio Gardens Ballroom, Salt Lake City 1957 - Magic Dawe

Stan Kenton - Stompin' At Newport - Pablo

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to hear the 70's Kenton band at its best and swinging hard, try disc 1 of this recent set. (Some tracks have another pianist filling in for an ailing Kenton - the band sounded more like a Herman Herd when he was absent). Disc 2 is a very good college band playing unrecorded charts from the Kenton book. Volumes 1 & 2 are of similar high quality, but feature Kenton bands from the late 50's, and different college ensembles. All are worth checking out.

DoubleFeatureV3_216x216.jpg

http://www.tantaraproductions.com/

(Some tracks have another pianist filling in for an ailing Kenton - the band sounded more like a Herman Herd when he was absent).

I saw the band once when Kenton was out ill. The replacement then was Nat Pierce, of all people!

Who was fired after about a month when word reached Kenton in his hospital bed that the band was swinging like the Herd! The pianist on these particular tracks is one Claude Sifferlen.

I also saw the Kenton band once without Stan - forget who the pianist was, but they played more Bill Holman charts than usual that night, which was OK by me.

Edited by John Tapscott

My preference is for the Kenton Band of the mid fifties with arrangements by people like Bill Holman and soloists such as Bill Perkins,

Lennie Niehaus, Pepper Adams, Davy Schildkraut, Charlie Mariano, Carl Fontana, Sam Noto, Jack Sheldon, Richie Kamuca and others.

Stan Kenton - Live From The Patio Gardens Ballroom, Salt Lake City 1957 - Magic Dawe

Of your list, I only own the date at the Las Vegas Tropicana and it is truly excellent. When I was only 16 years old, I bought the LP and have always dug it primarily because the band really cooks on that date. There's none of the bombastic pretentiousness that mars so many of Kenton's recordings. Now, many years later, I picked up the CD because of the additional tracks added that the LP was unable to accommodate. Get this one for really terrific live Kenton.

Of your list, I only own the date at the Las Vegas Tropicana and it is truly excellent. When I was only 16 years old, I bought the LP and have always dug it primarily because the band really cooks on that date. There's none of the bombastic pretentiousness that mars so many of Kenton's recordings. Now, many years later, I picked up the CD because of the additional tracks added that the LP was unable to accommodate. Get this one for really terrific live Kenton.

Yes, it's a very good recording and the additional tracks make it even better. Ironic that Kenton initially held up the release of this album because the band sounded too much like Herman (lots of Gene Roland charts). But there's some charts with the more traditional Kenton sound, too. Yes, a very good one, indeed.

Edited by John Tapscott

Yes, it's a very good recording and the additional tracks make it even better. Ironic that Kenton initially held up the release of this album because the band sounded too much like Herman (lots of Gene Roland charts). But there's some charts with the more traditional Kenton sound, too. Yes, a very good one, indeed.

Funny you say that because to the Tropicana audience, Kenton humorously introduces "Random Riff" by saying it is "in the vernacular of Herman" and that Woody supposedly "wants it ready" when he returns from his latest tour abroad. And that cut particularly is quite evocative of any of the various Herman herds.

Who was fired after about a month when word reached Kenton in his hospital bed that the band was swinging like the Herd! The pianist on these particular tracks is one Claude Sifferlen.

Wow! I used to see Sifferlen play at the Chatterbox in Indianapolis all the time... a real hometown legend around those parts. Didn't realize there were any recordings of him with the Kenton orchestra floating around.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 6 years later...
On 12/27/2011 at 9:14 PM, Quasimado said:

There's also an interesting one from the Chicago Blue Note in 1952/3 where they do Graettinger's "Thermopylae" live. It gets a bit ragged ... :lol:

I just found this broadcast and it's like the band wants to play it like a conventional ballad...so they do. Or try to. I wonder what prompted it to be called on this gig.

http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library%20Files/S%20Series/Stan%20Kenton%20Collection/Stan%20Kenton%20520405%20ep000%20%20Concept%20Show.mp3

Holy shit, Jerri Winters doing Waterfront is like a crossed-wavelength Kenny Hagood...and as much as I do dig Kenny Hagood, I don't mean that as a compliment....

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

I just found this broadcast and it's like the band wants to play it like a conventional ballad...so they do. Or try to. I wonder what prompted it to be called on this gig.

http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library%20Files/S%20Series/Stan%20Kenton%20Collection/Stan%20Kenton%20520405%20ep000%20%20Concept%20Show.mp3

Holy shit, Jerri Winters doing Waterfront is like a crossed-wavelength Kenny Hagood...and as much as I do dig Kenny Hagood, I don't mean that as a compliment....

Amazing resource for the 52/53 Kenton band:excited:. See: Index of /OTRRLib/Library Files/S Series/Stan Kenton Collection.

What else is in this library?

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

No idea, just found it yesterday. But there are a lot of shows by a lot of bands, not just Kenton. To say nothing of all the other radio shows, dramas, mysteries, comedies, etc. It;a an amazing resource, period,

Index of /OTRRLib/Library Files/S Series/Duke Ellington Collection

25 Ellington radio shows (mostly 1940s) ...