Ferry Cross the Mersey lyrics and meaning

skeith

That's the label that Sting was on, and I'm sure he was on a boat with Bryan Ferry at some point in his life.

His loss if not.

Both of these guys (along with Ian Carr, Eric Burdon etc) came out of the 50s/60s Newcastle arts scene. In that era it was referred to as the 'Kansas City of the North'. Not a bad parallel - vibrant jazz scene and local government mafiosi (T Dan Smith etc.), a heady mix. 'Get Carter' sums it up well. :)

Edited by sidewinder

I wouldn't read too much into it. Catching a ferry across the Mersey is hardly the same as popping down to Liverpool docks to take a boat to New York, More like catching a bus to get to work.

At the time it came out (1964) things Liverpudlian were incredibly fashionable in a Britain not just in the thrall to the Beatles but also to all things Northern and working class. Working the word 'Mersey' into a song was a way of getting a hit.

Southerner!!!!

At the time it came out (1964) things Liverpudlian were incredibly fashionable in a Britain not just in the thrall to the Beatles but also to all things Northern and working class. Working the word 'Mersey' into a song was a way of getting a hit.

Sadly, it was all very short lived, as shown by today's revelations:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/dec/30/thatcher-government-liverpool-riots-1981

Edited by BillF

I wouldn't read too much into it. Catching a ferry across the Mersey is hardly the same as popping down to Liverpool docks to take a boat to New York, More like catching a bus to get to work.

Southerner!!!!

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have liked this song for years and always wondered about the meaning.

It would seem that the singer prefers where he is (presumably Liverpool?) and is suggesting to the one to whom he's singing that you can go, but I will stay here. Is that all there is to it?

Was this some sort of saying or expression at the time?

And if you take the ferry ... you would be going where... to Liverpool or away from it. If away, is it just to some suburbs of Liverpool? (If so, big deal, that would be sort of like saying ferry cross the Hudson for New Yorkers)

The song seems to be loaded with sentiment and it would seem to mean something big... so I wonder if someone can provide some context.

As an aside and to further the link between the song and New York, the public park in Birkenhead was a model for Central Park. Birkenhead Park

I've always heard this in my head as a sort of neo-Coltrane instrumental, and done my inept best to play it that way - rubato and dramatic on the A section and snapping into tempo for the bridge.

Surely the breif fashion for things Northern was a reaction to their long un-fashionableness?

Edited by danasgoodstuff

I've always heard this in my head as a sort of neo-Coltrane instrumental, and done my inept best to play it that way - rubato and dramatic on the A section and snapping into tempo for the bridge.

Surely the breif fashion for things Northern was a reaction to their long un-fashionableness?

It was a reaction to the hold on British culture of middle class, middle aged and southern. Instead, the counter culture of the sixties preferred working class, young and northern.

For those who don't have it memorized :)

Lyrics

All I get is "This video contains content from UMG and EMI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Sorry about that."

I thought the song was simply about a Liverpudlian (sp?) longing for (and returning) home after being away.

Edited by Jim R

It was a reaction to the hold on British culture of middle class, middle aged and southern. Instead, the counter culture of the sixties preferred working class, young and northern.

Time for lumpen-proletarian, long in the tooth and south-western to hit the Zeitgeist, then. Though this might have already happened with Acker Bilk and Pam Ayres.

Time for lumpen-proletarian, long in the tooth and south-western to hit the Zeitgeist, then. Though this might have already happened with Acker Bilk and Pam Ayres.

How about the hardcore acts like The Wurzels and The Yetties :D (not to mention Jethro :ph34r: )

Pam Ayres is Oxford I think so 'A Northerner' (ie. anyone North of Shepton Mallet)

Edited by sidewinder

How about the hardcore acts like The Wurzels and The Yetties :D (not to mention Jethro :ph34r: )

Pam Ayres is Oxford I think so 'A Northerner' (ie. anyone North of Shepton Mallet)

I always think of Devon as the Midlands.