Thread Indices

fatsramsey94

A few years ago I ran into a forum (the Sergio Leone Web Board) that employed an index for all the various topics that arose (in this case it was for cataloguing movie-specific threads on their off-topic section). It was a reasonable way to minimize the number of threads with the same topic, and I think it might be a good idea for this forum.

Any thoughts or criticism?

Not sure how to implement that here without doing a lot of man-hours finding and linking / combining all the threads. While I always appreciate ideas on how to upgrade the board and also which threads to combine, I really don't have time to do the kind of work involved to index the entire site. Afterall, we have over 1,000,000 posts.

Not sure how to implement that here without doing a lot of man-hours finding and linking / combining all the threads. While I always appreciate ideas on how to upgrade the board and also which threads to combine, I really don't have time to do the kind of work involved to index the entire site. Afterall, we have over 1,000,000 posts.

I understand, thank you for your time anyways.

Tags would allow to "index" (in a way) off-topic things, too... and they could be added by any registered user (though if that's so, there might be some clean-up work necessary... on the other hand if only moderators could put in tags, that would be of little use, as it would mean much work or not make a big difference).

But again, that's only an option if Jim can just check the "use tags" feature somewhere!

The latest version of this forum software actually supports tagging and it's searchable. But it does away with the topic descriptions (ie, the second line in topic titles). I can certainly upgrade to the latest version, but in another thread about the loss of topic descriptions, I got the impression that people didn't want that.

The good news is that Invision did not delete the topic description column from the main database and there are third party programmers / add-ons which restore it, but they cost money. Kinda silly to remove a feature and then have people charge you to get it back.

Personally, I think tags are more useful than the second line, but I do notice that the second line is used a lot around here.

Is this tagging for posts as well as thread originators? Because you could go crazy with the tags and then really make searches even less effective. For instance someone could make a tangential reference to another musician in a thread on someone else. Now when someone searches by tags for the tangential guy, he gets main discussions about him plus tangential comments buried in another thread. Is that really helpful?

I'd say yes, Dan!

If you want the main threads, do a title search (or do a search via google, putting in "[search text] site:organissimo.org").

If you want to find "hidden" discussions (such as the Pete Brown one I mentioned - I once had to look for it and it drove me crazy... thought I'd remembered in what thread it was, but it took me a while...), you can go via tags.

Of course the funny guys amongst us (me included) might add funny one-liners instead of artist names, albums, sensible keywords etc... but I'd still think it would be most useful!

Like I said, the topic description column is not deleted from the database upon upgrading. There are third-party solutions to add displaying them back into the software, but they cost money (around $20 or so). I'm thinking we can upgrade, see if we like the addition of tags vs. lack of topic descriptors, and if we want we can pay to add them back in. Sound good?