BFT 94 Discussion

jeffcrom

Track 8

Big band with featured amplified guitar soloist, c.1940. Very adventurous arrangement with atonal(?) aspects. Did Charlie Christian ever get as "progressive" as this with the Goodman orchestra?

Not Christian or Goodman, and later in the decade. As I've said, the composition/arrangement is the main reason I selected this one, although I knew that the guitar soloist would be of interest.

Track 9

Tune's a standard in the dixieland repertoire which for the life of me I can't put a name to! But this is a big band with arrangements, not a collective improvisation dixieland outfit. Date again about 1940. The only soloist I'd hazard a guess on is Muggsy Spanier on cornet. Love his sound!

Alex recognized "That's a Plenty" and nailed the date as 1929. Nice job recognizing Muggsy - he's the only soloist here folks are likely to recognize.

Track 10

1950s big band. Lots of echoes of Gil Evans here - writing not for separate brass/reed sections, characteristic flute and clarinet use , trumpet soloist sounding like Johnny Coles. If not Evans, then influence of Birth of the Cool undeniable. Baritone reminiscent of Serge Chaloff. Crackles and groove slip suggest this is from your vinyl collection, Jeff. Really like this - have amended my comment in post #3 accordingly. :)

Not Gil Evans. I knew this composer would remind folks of Evans, although I find the similarities kind of superficial - the more I listen, the more I hear the differences in approach. This is indeed a needle drop; I don't think this has made it to CD, even by the Andorrans, as far as I know. I consider the album this came from to be one of the forgotten masterpieces of its time.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of research suggests it's from J J's Quintergy: Live at the Vanguard, recorded in 1988 with Stanley Cowell on piano, Rufus Reid bass and Victor Lewis drums.

I can't find that CD right now. I believe you are right Bill.

Lament

c364983m97d.jpg

That's it. In my opinion, this is the best track from an excellent album.

Track 12

Duet for clarinet and piano. 12 bar blues. Piano pretty virtuosic - very much two-handed and bags of technique - owes something to the stride tradition. Clarinet has a sound that we heard a great deal of in this country during the "trad revival". Nice and listenable.

Track 13

Quintet of drums, vibes, bass, soprano, tenor. I list drums first as they're very prominent here. Again, I'd call this avant garde. I think this sort of music first saw the light of day in 1964 with Eric Dolphy's Blue Note album, Out To Lunch. The drums and vibes here bring to my mind Tony Williams and Bobby Hutcherson on the Dolphy album.

Track 14

A 1930s orchestra with elements of "sweet" as well as "hot" in the mix.

Edited by BillF

Track 15

Instead of the usual tenor and organ group, here we have organ and two altos. Drums as well, of course, and the organist sounds to be providing the bass line. Organist has a Jimmy Smith sound, but there were so many players like this in the 60s, particularly on Blue Note's books, that I could't hazard a guess as to identity. Altoists nicely contrasted: second soloist very boppish and could be Stitt, the other further "out" in the manner of James Spaulding. Structure seems to be 12 bar blues with an added bridge section. Full of verve and swing - love this one! :tup

Track 15

Instead of the usual tenor and organ group, here we have organ and two altos. Drums as well, of course, and the organist sounds to be providing the bass line. Organist has a Jimmy Smith sound, but there were so many players like this in the 60s, particularly on Blue Note's books, that I could't hazard a guess as to identity. Altoists nicely contrasted: second soloist very boppish and could be Stitt, the other further "out" in the manner of James Spaulding. Structure seems to be 12 bar blues with an added bridge section. Full of verve and swing - love this one! :tup

Glad you like it, and you're right about one of the saxophonists - Sonny Stitt. The other one is not James Spaulding, but that's a great guess - that probably would have been my guess if I was hearing this cold.

Track 15

Glad you like it, and you're right about one of the saxophonists - Sonny Stitt. The other one is not James Spaulding, but that's a great guess - that probably would have been my guess if I was hearing this cold.

Is the other sac player Charles McPherson?

Track 15

Is the other sac player Charles McPherson?

Nope, it's not Charles McPherson. Bill was right that it's someone a little more "out."

Got a chance to listen to your BFT on walks the last two days. Enjoyed it very much and there are a number of tracks I like a lot. Thanks very much. Pretty early in the month but a couple of quick comments.

Track 2;

Most of the stuff I listen to is on the more adventerous side but I also really enjoy a straight forward version of an old gem where the song is the star. These guys do that very well.

Track 4;

Matt Moran was involved in a group called, I think, Slavic Soul Party. Similar instrumentation and bent as this. Sounds like it could be the sound track to a street dance somewhere. I like this one.

Track 5; This is one that I have to check out for sure. Love the ending. This reminds me a little of a Harris Eisenstadt album I have, called “Guewel”. For me, that is a pretty good compliment.

Track 6;

You and Alex and couple of the other guys have presented some really great “vintage” stuff that have been a good introduction to that era for me. Thanks guys. I love the solos on this track.

Track 9;

Is this song Jackie Gleason's “traveling music”? Fun.

Track 16;

When you “threatened” a rapper in your comments, I thought that would just be a throw away. But I like it. Partially because the horn guys are really good.

Got a chance to listen to your BFT on walks the last two days. Enjoyed it very much and there are a number of tracks I like a lot. Thanks very much. Pretty early in the month but a couple of quick comments.

Track 4;

Matt Moran was involved in a group called, I think, Slavic Soul Party. Similar instrumentation and bent as this. Sounds like it could be the sound track to a street dance somewhere. I like this one.

This band (not Slavic Soul Party) is one of my favorite little-known bands. They play more than this Balkan kind of thing.

Track 5; This is one that I have to check out for sure. Love the ending. This reminds me a little of a Harris Eisenstadt album I have, called “Guewel”. For me, that is a pretty good compliment.

I'm glad somebody else likes this - I was starting to worry....

Track 9;

Is this song Jackie Gleason's “traveling music”? Fun.

If so, I wasn't aware of that - it's been I long time since I saw The Great One on TV.

Track 16;

When you “threatened” a rapper in your comments, I thought that would just be a throw away. But I like it. Partially because the horn guys are really good.

Glad you like this track - folks seem to be enjoying it. I also think that our rapper is a pretty good singer. When he goes into that old spiritual, it gets to me every time.

I don't think I'll ever guess what #4 is. I am hearing a tuba along with the clarinets and accordion and drums.

I'll give you the entire instrumentation: clarinet, alto sax, trombone, accordion, banjo, tuba and drums. This band has several albums and should be better known than they are, in my opinion.

I don't think I'll ever guess what #4 is. I am hearing a tuba along with the clarinets and accordion and drums.

I'll give you the entire instrumentation: clarinet, alto sax, trombone, accordion, banjo, tuba and drums. This band has several albums and should be better known than they are, in my opinion.

I have no clue. Not even a spark.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

#16 is a tune written I believe by Smokey Johnson. I don't think it is Smokey Johnson singing it though.

Yes, this is an adaptation of Smokey Johnson's "It Ain't My Fault." The original version on NOLA Records was a local New Orleans hit in the 1960's; since then, the tune has become a standard for the brass bands of that city.

Not many folks around here know about this band, which is one reason I included a track by them - to promote them a little.

#16 is a tune written I believe by Smokey Johnson. I don't think it is Smokey Johnson singing it though.

Yes, this is an adaptation of Smokey Johnson's "It Ain't My Fault." The original version on NOLA Records was a local New Orleans hit in the 1960's; since then, the tune has become a standard for the brass bands of that city.

Not many folks around here know about this band, which is one reason I included a track by them - to promote them a little.

Is this band still together?

Is this band still together?

Yes, this is an established working band.

Track 13: Immediately recognized Joe Farrell on soprano. Reminded me of Moon Germs a little. Then googled Farrell plus marimba and found it.

Horacee Arnold: Tribe. Billy Harper is a bit overbearing for me but to each their own. Nice record - good writing. The next track has Mraz and David Friedman playing a mean unison line.

Track 10: Very curious to know what this is. Nice orchestration - Piccolo, Clarinet, Flute, The flugelhorn lead sounds like a french horn section.

I bet this is Rod Levitt. I have an LP, Insight (RCA) which this track is not on, so maybe it's from Solid Ground or 42nd Street.

Track 13: Immediately recognized Joe Farrell on soprano. Reminded me of Moon Germs a little. Then googled Farrell plus marimba and found it.

Horacee Arnold: Tribe. Billy Harper is a bit overbearing for me but to each their own. Nice record - good writing. The next track has Mraz and David Friedman playing a mean unison line.

61blhtgls8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Good ear, although I expected someone to recognize Billy Harper first. I love Harper, but can understand what you mean - he can be kind of unrelentingly intense.

Tribe is an album which deserves to be better known. It's from 1973, and while not a masterpiece, it's pretty interesting. Besides the musicians you mention, Ralph Towner is on some tracks.

Track 10: Very curious to know what this is. Nice orchestration - Piccolo, Clarinet, Flute, The flugelhorn lead sounds like a french horn section.

I bet this is Rod Levitt. I have an LP, Insight (RCA) which this track is not on, so maybe it's from Solid Ground or 42nd Street.

It's not Levitt - this composer/bandleader is even more obscure. Like I've said, this album is an underappreciated masterpiece, in my opinion.

I am always opened to new sounds, but I can't say I have a clue who they may be.

As the month goes on, I'll drop some more clues about this band.

Track 8 reminds me a little of Red Norvo (though it's not him--just in sound or style or arrangement). Am I thinking in the right direction, Jeff? If so, I have a guess for the arranger.

I think you've got the composer/arranger. Lay it on us!

Eddie Sauter!

Unfortunately, that doesn't bring me any closer to identifying the band. I know he arranged for a whole bunch of folks after the war, but I can't identify any of them as definitively being the ones on this recording.