Great Working Bands That Never Recorded (Officially)

Pete C

I'm sure there are plenty of undocumented aggregations we'd love to have an album by, and I'm interested in what others think. One I'd love to have heard is the Stan Getz quartet with Steve Kuhn, Scott LaFaro and Roy Haynes. I've only heard one poor quality location recording, I think from Newport. I don't know how long it lasted, but I'd be curious how Miles sounded with Coleman, Strozier & Mabern. I'd also be interested in how Stubblefield sounded with Mingus--is there anything out there?

I keep hoping some airchecks will show up of the 1943 Earl Hines big band, when both Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker were on board. Damn recording ban!

The Monk Quintet with Steve Lacy (there are airchecks, but I would have loved to have a studio album by this group). Heck, we barely got the Monk/Coltrane/Ware/Wilson quartet.

The Tuxedo Brass Band with Louis Armstrong among the cornets.

The early-1960's Ornette Coleman Quartet with Bobby Bradford.

The Miles Davis Sextet with both Wayne Shorter and Joe Henderson on tenor.

Buddy Petit!

The Miles Davis Sextet with both Wayne Shorter and Joe Henderson on tenor.

Wow, I never knew that.

I think Miles also had a group with J.J. as second horn, maybe while Trane was with Monk.

I'd be interested in how Bill Evans sounded with George Mraz.

Edited by Pete C

I'm sure there are plenty of undocumented aggregations we'd love to have an album by, and I'm interested in what others think. One I'd love to have heard is the Stan Getz quartet with Steve Kuhn, Scott LaFaro and Roy Haynes. I've only heard one poor quality location recording, I think from Newport. I don't know how long it lasted, but I'd be curious how Miles sounded with Coleman, Strozier & Mabern. I'd also be interested in how Stubblefield sounded with Mingus--is there anything out there?

Interesting you mention Kuhn as I was just reading some notes today talking about how he was with Trane in the classic quartet before McCoy came on board (never recorded).

Interesting you mention Kuhn as I was just reading some notes today talking about how he was with Trane in the classic quartet before McCoy came on board (never recorded).

Yeah, Trane knew all along that he wanted Tyner for his own group, but at first Tyner had commitments with the Jazztet.

Joe Henderson's big band, which (iirc) rehearsed some number of times in the mid-to-late 60's (can't remember if they had any gigs or not). Not quite "working" - but the first thing I thought of.

Different era, but 'big band' nonetheless.

c71841a9nn4.jpg

"Big Band"

Joe Henderson

I keep hoping some airchecks will show up of the 1943 Earl Hines big band, when both Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker were on board. Damn recording ban!

My top choice too!

Would love to listen to the Johnny Hodges orchestra playing when Cecil Taylor was the pianist!

Well, since this config of the Jazz Messengers played more than just one or two gigs, I guess that narrowly counts as "working"...

April? 1969: Woody Shaw-tpt; Tyrone Washington-tsx; George Cables-p; Scotty Holt-b

Wollman Auditorium, Columbia University, NYC (February 24, 1969) [db 3/20/69 p.15]

Loeb Student Center, New York University, NYC (March 3, 1969) [db 3/20/69 p.15]

Fillmore East, NYC (March 9, 1969) [db 3/20/69 pp.14, 52]

Black Bottom, Montreal, Canada (April? 1969) [Coda 6/69 p.34]

Café La Boheme (early April-early May 1969) [Voice] [this is questionable considering the below activity]

Source (click, then page-search on TW's name)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

As regards the Ornette-Bradford band, I once saw a photo of them in a book (with Charles Moffet?) that said it was from Atlantic studios ca 1962. I've never been able to find the photo again. Perhaps this was among the music lost in the infamous fire?

My vote for this thread is any incarnation of the Giuffre 3 after Bley/Swallow. Don Pullen! Geez ...

This may be more of a "what could have been" thing, but would that Braxton's trio with Holland and Philip Wilson been a working band beyond the Town Hall concert.

Edited by colinmce

I have great memories of seeing a band that bassist Reggie Workman put together. Saw them twice at The Tin Palace in Greenwich Village in NYC.The band was called Top Shelf. If featured John Stubblefield and Howard Johnson in the front line. They played everything from piccolo flute to baritone saxophone and everything in between. Albert Dailey played piano on one gig and Micky Tucker on the other. Steve McCall on drums. And Reggieon bass, of course. I always thought they would record but I've never seen evidence of that. Reggie must have taps of those gigs!

If they did play at Newport maybe it will show up on Wolfgang's Vault. There could be a whole new thread on what we wish The Vault would release. I read that Pee Wee Russell played with Prez at Newport. I'd sure like to hear that.

If they did play at Newport maybe it will show up on Wolfgang's Vault. There could be a whole new thread on what we wish The Vault would release. I read that Pee Wee Russell played with Prez at Newport. I'd sure like to hear that.

Yes, it was LaFaro's last gig, July 4, 1961, 2 days before he died. Found this on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqXtTmMKXqI

There are also videos of this program:

Richie Kamuca Quintet,

Los Angeles: KABC studios, 7 April 1958.

Stars of Jazz (1956-1958) Program #14).

Richie Kamuca, tenor saxophone and leader

Frank Rosolino, trombone

Scott LaFaro, bass

Victor Feldman, piano

Stan Levey, drums

Edited by Pete C

For a short time there was a fantastic all star band led by Oscar Pettiford during the late 40´s with virtually all the topnotch musicians like Bud, Kenny Dorham, Fats, Lucky Thompson and all....

It´s told that there was no stage discipline, but for the fantastic solos and the fast tempos it might have be great to have a live recording.

Same thing with Billy Eckstine: Only the Airshots issued by Spotlite, but there might be much more recorded material where you really hear what the Band could play....