Live Evil by Miles Davis

skeith

Ok, if you have the Cellar Door box set you get all the live stuff from Live Evil without the edits or the annoying narration on Inamorata and it comes with better sound. The Jack Johnson box gives you the Hermeto stuff from Live Evil. That leaves only one studio track that would not be covered by those two boxes.

My question then, is there any reason to own Live Evil, other than sort of a best of set from the Cellar Door box for those that don't want 6 cds of Cellar Door material?

Edited by skeith

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question then, is there any reason to own Live Evil, other than sort of a best of set from the Cellar Door box for those that don't want 6 cds of Cellar Door material?

The reason would be to hear "the album" as it was experienced by several generations, including that which first heard it.

Whether or not that "matters" is a personal choice, but it is a real distinction and consideration.

The reason would be to hear "the album" as it was experienced by several generations, including that which first heard it.

Whether or not that "matters" is a personal choice, but it is a real distinction and consideration.

That's a good point.

Ok, if you have the Cellar Door box set you get all the live stuff from Live Evil without the edits or the annoying narration on Inamorata and it comes with better sound. The Jack Johnson box gives you the Hermeto stuff from Live Evil. That leaves only one studio track that would not be covered by those two boxes.

Also, "Double/Image" is on the BB box.

However:

#1: the edits of the music as presented on Live Evil don't exist elsewhere.

#2: it's unclear what the last few minutes of "Inamorata" (actually "It's About That Time") come from, but not from the Cellar Door box.

Guy

I can't imagine not having it, I have three copies. But I've always had it, bought it when it first was released. It's part of my history.

Lon, I must admit that I did not warm up to this when it was first released or when I first heard it in the early seventies. I assume you like the Cellar Door box or do you not consider it up to the level of LIVE EVIL?

I love the Cellar Door recordings, but McLaughlin's night was definitely the best, and they made a wise choice choosing from that material for the original album.

Interesting Pete. For me the big revelation of the Cellar Door box is how good the band sounded WITHOUT McLaughlin and I am a big McLaughlin fan. I think that Miles is on fire during so many of the sets without McLaughlin - I recall a particularly incendiary Yesternow. But Jarrett is also amazingly good to me on so many of the sets.

I know that this is heresy, but McLaughlin sounds a bit uncomfortable on the sets he sat in on... he even alludes to this in the liner notes for the Cellar Door box. It sounds at times to me that he might be playing in another key... or at least playing very dissonant notes.

Edited by skeith

I didnt keep it. But I did hang on to Silent Way, Jack Johnson and Bitches Brew along with my boxes

Just for the covers? Those boxes do include the edited versions originally issued ...

Live/Evil is kind of superfluous, especially as the music flows more naturally without some bad edits.

I love the Cellar Door set, and am so glad that it was able to be released. I really like all the sets, and agree that the sets without McLaughlin are excellent. I think that adding McLaughlin to the mix really puts everyone at attention, and I bet Miles enjoyed the "vibe" this created and he may have valued these sets more for his own reasons. I'm glad to have them all.

I'm glad to have both with and without McLaughlin. Keith Jarrett makes it pretty clear that he thinks McLaughlin threw off the band, but I never got the feelng this was a unanimous opinion among the musicians.

A while back I downloaded as many recordings as I could of this band when Jack was at the drums - and they're great. The ones with Ndugu are not as wonderful, but worth hearing nonetheless.

I love the Cellar Door recordings, but McLaughlin's night was definitely the best, and they made a wise choice choosing from that material for the original album.

I'd say it's the opposite. The sets with JMcL are very good but the earlier sets without him have a different feel, and are better.

The sound on Live Evil is not good (in the 'domestic' issue, I mean). I don't love that music though so it is enough for me.

The SACD is not as bad, but I agree with you. It's never gonna win an audio award, that's for sure. I prefer hearing these albums as they were originally released. Live/Evil can be heard in a reasonable amount of time, whereas the box sets take longer to get through and digest.

All those albums (Live/Evil, Bitches Brew, Silent Way, etc) were produced by Teo with a specific result in mind. Whether or not they work is up to you, but as albums they're worth having because that's how the artists (Miles AND Teo) wanted you to hear the music.

That's not to say that it isn't great having the "complete" extra material - I have those, too.

The sound on Live Evil is not good (in the 'domestic' issue, I mean). I don't love that music though so it is enough for me.

The SACD is not as bad, but I agree with you. It's never gonna win an audio award, that's for sure. I prefer hearing these albums as they were originally released. Live/Evil can be heard in a reasonable amount of time, whereas the box sets take longer to get through and digest.

Have you heard the sound on the Cellar Door Box? I think it is much improved over the latest Live Evil version and is quite good sound.

Also, "Double/Image" is on the BB box.

However:

#1: the edits of the music as presented on Live Evil don't exist elsewhere.

#2: it's unclear what the last few minutes of "Inamorata" (actually "It's About That Time") come from, but not from the Cellar Door box.

Guy

Guy your #2 is interesting. Do you mean the music that is under the narration and what follows the narration? Does it appear to be live?

Edited by skeith

Guy

Guy your #2 is interesting. Do you mean the music that is under the narration and what follows the narration? Does it appear to be live?

losin link - scroll to the bottom

The last three minutes are not from the Cellar Door, but from surfing Losin's site I can't figure out where they come from.

Guy