At what time do you...

Guest Chaney

As for noise, bring it on.  I'm asleep, if I'm lying down.  :blink:  :blink:

Patty, you must have a clean conscience. :P

How come you work 2 1/2 part time jobs instead of 1 full time?

Good question. Because I have no contacts here and it was important for me to take any job, or jobs which would earn enough, together to pay my rent, bills and put groceries on the table.

I organize the office, compose letters and mailers and do typing etc. for an investment broker, about ten hours a week, the paperwork at home, so actually more. I work in a ladieswear store about twenty five hours a week and, work about fifteen hours a week at the liquor store, around the corner from my building.

I was working full-time at the liquor store, but they are open until two in the morning and with my other jobs, three hours sleep isn't enough, so I asked to just fill in.

Amazing what we women end up doing for a living, regardless of the skills we may have to offer, if we simply have to pay the rent.

Edited by patricia

I'm surprised more people don't-- what else?-- listen to jazz when they are in bed/going to sleep. I always load up the changer and have it play through when I am in bed. It is a great concentrated listening time or, if I am reading, a pleasant coccoon of art and sound. And who knows, maybe I'm learning something musical in my sleep!

I was reading something recently about research showing how most of us are actually sleep-deprived nowadays, even if we have learned somewhat to adjust to it-- that most people really do need 8-10 hours of sleep to perform optimally....

Edited by chris

For years, I worked late and finished around midnight. Was in bed around 2AM. Up at 8AM. With lots of variations.

Then I got promoted and had to start working in the morning.

Now I am at work around 7AM. Busy days usually. In bed before 11PM. With rare variations.

I wake up around 5AM courtesy of my internal clock. No need for electric clocks. Problem is that when I don't have to work, this internal clock wakes me around 5AM too. And when on holidays, it takes days to have it set a bit later :huh:

Usually, bed at 9:00PM and up at 2:00AM. Varies a bit, since I travel constantly and and often still-sdjusting. (Last year, I spent at least a week in each of eighteen different time zones.)

The morning schedule gives me a chance to work out, but does 'feel' a bit funny; all those years I spent as a musician, never getting to bed before my current wake-up time...

Chris, I can fall asleep in the afternoon listening to jazz (my wife hasn't thought of me the same since she came home to me sawing logs on the couch with For Adolphe Sax blasting out of the stereo...), but I can't fall asleep to jazz at night; I'll lay there listening to every note. Besides, there's a limited amount of jazz I can listen to in the same room as the wife. We're more likely to have Steve Roach playing for "fall asleep music".

Chris, I can fall asleep in the afternoon listening to jazz (my wife hasn't thought of me the same since she came home to me sawing logs on the couch with For Adolphe Sax blasting out of the stereo...), but I can't fall asleep to jazz at night; I'll lay there listening to every note. Besides, there's a limited amount of jazz I can listen to in the same room as the wife. We're more likely to have Steve Roach playing for "fall asleep music".

Depends on the music.

I sleep to Bill Evans or Bobby Hutcherson or Charles Lloyd, but I cannot sleep to any organ stuff or big band sounds.

Any good piano trio would work.

I have terrible sleeping habits. On nights before I work, I always end up staying up far too late (2-3am). Tuesday through Thursday, I don't work but I have classes in the evenings. I'll commonly go to bed around 2 or 3, and wake up at about 10 or 11 in the morning. I get more sleep on those days, even though I always PLAN on getting up early (I have to get reading done for my classes. Sometimes, if I know I want to sleep in, I'll make an extra effort to get my reading done the night before).

Most nights, I stay up for hours after my wife turns in (work nights she usually goes to bed before 10). I'll listen to music on the sofa and read, but then I pass out and wake up at three in the morning. Last night I crashed on the sofa and woke up at 6am! I still had to do the dishes, so I trudged off to the kitchen. Once the dishes were done, I went back to the couch (I didn't want to disturb my wife) and read for another hour before I fell back asleep. My daughter woke me up around nine. My wife REALLY appreciated the break, because I usually sleep in on Sunday mornings while my wife gets up with my daughter.

I also apparently snore LOUDLY (I have a deviated septum), so my wife actually likes it when I sleep on the couch. It annoys her if I come to bed after 2am, as my snoring wakes her and she can't fall back to sleep.

I wonder how much the TV schedule/time zone situation dictates our habits. When we lived in the Central zone and news was at 10 we went to bed earlier than we do now in the Eastern zone with news at 11.

Interesting point, and reflective of our own experience living with Eastern Time.

I wonder how much the TV schedule/time zone situation dictates our habits. When we lived in the Central zone and news was at 10 we went to bed earlier than we do now in the Eastern zone with news at 11.

Interesting point, and reflective of our own experience living with Eastern Time.

After living in Central time most of my life, I spent a couple years in Ohio and it was strange getting used to the Eastern time schedule. News coming on at 6:30, late news at 11:00- it definitely affected our routine- eating later, staying up later. I kept thinking "do people who have to get up at 6 to go to work stay up this late?".

I much prefer the Central time routine.