Joe McPhee

Late

I'll start this thread by listing an out-of-print McPhee disc that Tower currently is carrying. (I'll have to edit this when it gets snatched up!)

Quite a lot of McPhee out there. What titles do you find yourself returning to most? I've really been enjoying McPhee's CjR recordings, reissued by Atavistic.

Edit (2/8/05): I left the link up for Sweet Freedom above, as at least you can still access sound samples (even though the disc is long gone). Good album!

Edited by Late

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE TENOR/FALLEN ANGEL. Like a lot of the little more I've heard, but that one is a freakin' masterpiece imo.

NATION TIME is good too, perhaps might sound "dated" to some ears, but it's dated to a time and vibe that I remember well, so it's cool w/me.

Thing I dig most about McPhee is his tone, and his mastery of the nuances of it. I have to be in the mood for that FREEDOM side, a little too much space and primary emphasis on nuance above all else for me to get into regularly, but, hey, that's my problem. When I AM in the mood fpr it, it's a kaliedescope of deliberately minescule tonal infinities, whatever that means.

Haven't heard anything yet that cinvinces me that the cat's a real "finger" player (that is, having virtuostic "traditional" technique), but that's ok. There's different kinds of virtuosity, and McPhee, based on what I've heard, has become a virtuoso of tone, nuance, and sound. That's a virtuosity that is as difficult to achieve as any other kind, and it works for me. Can't really say yet that I've gotten what ALL the fuss is about in some circles, but some of it seems well-grounded, and I share some of it.

I need to get more of his stuff to get the "full" picture, I suppose, but hey Zeus & Cristo, the guy's made more albums than Lee Konitz & Sonny Stitt combined, it seems. I have the ones I mentioned above plus OLEO (need to dig deeper into that one, I think. Its substance beckons, but not yet compellingly so. The guitarist sometimes just seems silly to me). What else do I need to have to have the "basics" covered?

Edited by JSngry

No, McPhee isn't actually all that prolific, certainly not like Stitt or Konitz--but in the last half-decade or so he's had the enthusiastic sponsorship of Bob Rusch of Cadence/CIMP, which has meant that he's become much better documented. Most of his Hat Art/Hut/Ology (god help us, I wish Werner would settle on a name permanently) is unfortunately out of print, including Oleo/A Future Retrospective, Linear B & Topology, all of them major albums. Tenor is extraordinary stuff.

Last year there were two very notable releases by McPhee--Journey on CIMP is the latest by his group Trio-X, & it's extremely good (split between alto & tenor work, with one soprano track); Chicago Tenor Duets on Okkadisk is a remarkable encounter with Evan Parker. It's dour stuff, as you might expect, but it's great to hear Parker butt heads with another saxophonist of McPhee's stature (& Joe shows that he can toss back at Parker whatever Evan throws him, with a bit extra).

Edited by Nate Dorward

• 1 month later...

I was about to start a new thread on TENOR/FALLEN ANGELS disc, which I have been listening to during the last week on my car stereo... but I found this thread and thought this was the place to post it:

My thoughts on this CD oscillate BETWEEN:

"what the fuck is this guy playing?", "this is what my two years old child would do with a tenor sax" or "is this guy playing a chain saw?"

AND

"hey, I should listen to this kind of stuff much more, laying aside my Duke-addiction", "this is some of the wildest discs I´ve ever listened to" or "free jazz to the people!"

I´ve read Jim Sangrey´s post and he has answered some of my questions, but I would appreciate any further thoughts on this disc, or on this kind of stuff... as I´m not much into what I call "NMON-jazz" (No Melody, Only Noise jazz) ^_^

• 4 months later...

"this is what my two years old child would do with a tenor sax"

(Note: Statement admittedly taken out of context - response tailored to the general comment rather than the specific statement)

I seriously doubt that.

Believe it or not, it takes a great deal of practice and embochure strength/control to have as much control over the production and shading of those altissimo ("squeaky") notes as McPhee displays. Same thing goes for the strength and full-bodiedness of his tone.

Just so you (and anybody else) knows. Ain't nobody's two year old gonna get it like that!

Edited by JSngry

Late, you're overdue on Black Magic Man, natch! PM me.

No mention of the post-Ayler continuum here? J/K, Jim. Raymond Boni's silly?? He's one of the true virtuosos and a hell of a performer. To be honest though I'm hot and cold on his work with the Po Music too. But you should, if you ever see it, snatch a copy of VOICES AND DREAMS, a fairly recent Boni/McPhee reunion. Amazing stuff and simply beautiful. I agree that those CJR's are more fun than anything else, but Underground Railroad gives you a glimpse of why Joe's so special. For "finger playing", though I'm uncertain what level you're looking for, I'd definitely check out some that Nate mentioned, the duets with EP and Trio X's JOURNEY. Also, my favorite of Joe's of the last many years, GRAND MARQUIS, a sax/drum duo record with the incredibly underrated and underemployed Johnny McClellan.

For those that are unawares (Chris?), Craig Johnson of CJR records has re-entered the music biz after lord knows how many years, co-producing one of McPhee's latest on the Usine label, a duo with French reed player Jerome Bourdellon. There are others in the works too.

Joe will be in town soon for a visit and a set or two. We're getting together to discuss his new discography that I'm working on, so I'll be sure to ask him about anything he'd like to see reissued.

Alejandro, Joe will be playing with Michael Bisio at Brad's Swingside Cafe on August 8th. You should definitely make a reservation now if you intend to go. It's a small place (40 seats, I think) but the bonus is whatever Brad has on the menu for that night. Joe tries to play a set there whenever he gets the opportunity. It's intimate and gives him the chance to hang with old friends and acquaintances. Let me know if you decide to go.

No, Joe C, I was not aware of Craig's re-entry into the record business, but I just spoke to Joe who told me that the project is in its early stages. He is off to Finland tomorrow, to play at some sort of beach jazz festival, north of Helsinki. Sounds cold.

I told Joe about James Williams' death, which came as a quite a shock to him--to many people, I think.

Reading these posts encouraged me to dig out this Cd again

e095825we8t.jpg

a truly magnificent CD , one of those one where I can always remember the first time I heard it , I knew I was listening to something special.

I have only ever picked up one more Joe McPhee Cd 'As serious as your life', Another great solo CD.

I always get the same feeling with each listen ... 'Why have I never bought more Joe McPhee CDs ???????????????'

He is off to Finland tomorrow, to play at some sort of beach jazz festival, north of Helsinki. Sounds cold.

It's quite warm around here right now.Believe me! Joe probably won't have to wear any fur coat on stage ;)

Since I'm going to be one of the volunteer workers at the festival where Joe is going to play, I'm going to try to get his autograph.

Other highlights of the festival are: Matthew Shipp, Louis Sclavis ;) ;)

Off-topic, but the two year old comment reminded me of this. I watched the movie ST. ELMO'S FIRE the other night for the first time, all the way through. Don't ask why. The scenes where Rob Lowe plays rock saxophone made me say out loud to my wife, "No wonder people hate the saxophone."

On top of that, what a TERRIBLE movie! Wow.

Thanks for the info Joe!

I plan on attending the show and am looking forward to the food as well...never been to the Swingside, but have heard great things.

I'll have to make a reservation ASAP!

See you there.

Alejandro

Edited by alejo

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i have both tenor/fallen angel and braxton's for alto. while i enjoyed both, braxton's really stands out and i can't help thinking that joe's was majorly influenced by it.

B-)

I am probably in a huge minority, but I enjoy Tenor/Fallen Angel much more than

For Alto. In fact, I very rarely listen to the latter, despite its unquestionable historical importance. I would much rather listen to other Braxton.