Joe McPhee

Late

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, the listing for the Philly gig at http://www.arsnovaworkshop.com/ shows it on Friday, 11/25th.

Yes, Alan (hi, Alan!), it seems the tour dates may have been juggled around some (and may be juggled some more still). I apologize if I'm in error, but at least at the moment, The Thing's record company's site, www.smalltownsupersound.com/livedates.php, shows the 24th for Philadelphia, 25th for Buffalo, and 26th for Syracuse, while Paal's site, www.paalnilssen-love.com/news.php, shows the 25th for Philadelphia, 26th for Buffalo, and 27th for Syracuse. Anyway, it's best to call the venues, and I'll try to do the same a.s.a.p. to make sure.

Hmm, the listing for the Philly gig at http://www.arsnovaworkshop.com/ shows it on Friday, 11/25th.

Yes, Alan (hi, Alan!), it seems the tour dates may have been juggled around some (and may be juggled some more still). I apologize if I'm in error, but at least at the moment, The Thing's record company's site, www.smalltownsupersound.com/livedates.php, shows the 24th for Philadelphia, 25th for Buffalo, and 26th for Syracuse, while Paal's site, www.paalnilssen-love.com/news.php, shows the 25th for Philadelphia, 26th for Buffalo, and 27th for Syracuse. Anyway, it's best to call the venues, and I'll try to do the same a.s.a.p. to make sure.

That's good, because I wouldn't have been able to get out on the 24th. I plan to go on the 25th.

The Thing

featuring Joe McPhee

— Joe McPhee, reeds/pocket trumpet Mats Gustafsson, reeds Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, bass Paal Nilssen-Love, drums

— an ars nova workshop production

— Community Education Center [CEC], 3500 Lancaster Ave, Philadelphia

Nov 25 (Fri) — 8 pm — $12

Edited by alankin

The record company's site has the wrong date. The Philly show is on the 25th. The 24th is Thanksgiving.

Okay, so the 25th is Philadelphia, the 26th is Buffalo, the 27th is Syracuse, and the 29th is New York City. Good looking out, guys! Thanks for the corrections.

The record company's site has the wrong date. The Philly show is on the 25th. The 24th is Thanksgiving.

Okay, so the 25th is Philadelphia, the 26th is Buffalo, the 27th is Syracuse, and the 29th is New York City. Good looking out, guys! Thanks for the corrections.

P.S., all, there's been another date added to this tour (Joe McPhee & The Thing, 11/O5): Tuesday, Nov. 22nd in Cincinnati, Ohio, location & details to follow. And the street address of Underlying Theme in Lexington is 11O South Upper.

The mighty Joe just came home from playing seven concerts in six European countries in seven days. Some of these great musicians in their sixties and up have more strength and energy, not to mention imagination, than a schoolyard full of children.

P.S., all, there's been another date added to this tour (Joe McPhee & The Thing, 11/O5):  Tuesday, Nov. 22nd in Cincinnati, Ohio, location & details to follow.  And the street address of Underlying Theme in Lexington is 11O South Upper.

As it turns out, the place for the Tuesday, Nov. 22nd concert is in Cleveland, not Cincinnati: Beachland Ballroom, 15711 Waterloo Rd., Cleveland, Ohio, 9 p.m., (216) 383-1124, <www.beachlandballroom.com>, <www.ticketweb.com>.

P.S., all, there's been another date added to this tour (Joe McPhee & The Thing, 11/O5):  Tuesday, Nov. 22nd in Cincinnati, Ohio, location & details to follow.  And the street address of Underlying Theme in Lexington is 11O South Upper.

As it turns out, the place for the Tuesday, Nov. 22nd concert is in Cleveland, not Cincinnati: Beachland Ballroom, 15711 Waterloo Rd., Cleveland, Ohio, 9 p.m., (216) 383-1124, <www.beachlandballroom.com>, <www.ticketweb.com>.

Hi Margaret, is Indy still happening???

Mark

Mark

So far as I know, the Indianapolis concert certainly is, Mark, but if you have any doubts, please use your Madame Walker Theatre and Mythopeic contacts to check on it. If you find out otherwise, please let me know. Thanks.

Mark

So far as I know, the Indianapolis concert certainly is, Mark, but if you have any doubts, please use your Madame Walker Theatre and Mythopeic contacts to check on it. If you find out otherwise, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks Margaret!!! I'll let you know how it goes!!!

m~

• 4 months later...

Joe's playing a couple of concerts this weekend in New York City, and Mark Sheldon got a wonderful photo of Joe playing his pocket trumpet with his tenor saxophone suspended from his neck strap in Indianapolis last November. I'll try to paste in the short treatment and photo from "Time Out New York" and hope they come through, but if not, at least you'll be able to see the text:

<< >>< <> <> <> <> <> >

http://tinyurl.com/msr5a

Time Out New York / Issue 550: April 13–19, 2006

Top live show

Trio X: Joe McPhee, Dominic Duval and Jay Rosen

Joe McPhee

Fri 14, The Brecht Forum

Sat 15, Inwood Hill Park

550.x231.mr.JoeMcPhee2.prev.jpg

Joe McPhee

photo by Mark Sheldon, msheldonf32@earthlink.net

[NOTE: Photo credit is not shown on the Web but is shown in the magazine]

Marquee names and pro-caliber sound are the norm at high-profile alfresco venues such as SummerStage. But so are steep prices, claustrophobic conditions and ubiquitous corporate logos—factors that can offset the nice breeze. These distractions should be refreshingly absent at Joe McPhee’s free Inwood Hill Park concert, Saturday at 1:30pm. The event will be as much a nature hike as a performance: As McPhee improvises on various instruments (perhaps including a few saxes, pocket trumpet and valve trombone), he will chart a spontaneous path through the woods at the park’s summit, with the audience following along. This won’t be the first time the musician has incorporated natural ambience; during a studio session in the summer of ’96, McPhee and his duo partner, violinist David Prentice, decided to record some pieces outdoors among audible birds and insects.

McPhee may be impulsive, but he’s a deeply grounded player. His improvisations often refer to jazz standards and spirituals; his singing sax tone and patient phrasing make him an ideal interpreter of such material. Though often reflective, he can also summon violence if the mood strikes. Bassist Dominic Duval and drummer Jay Rosen, his bandmates in Trio X, are flexible enough to adapt to any of McPhee’s whims and strong enough to assert their own. Unlike Saturday’s show, the players will most likely be stationary at the Brecht Forum, but you can still count on them covering plenty of ground.

—Hank Shteamer (HankShteamer@hotmail.com)

Nice photo, Mark! (Thanks for the information, Margaret!)

I wish the prices of new hatOLOGY discs weren't so prohibitive. That, and the only local retailer who would carry them has closed shop.

Do you guys use jazzloft to purchase hat titles?

Anyone picked this one up yet? How is it?

624.jpg

I'm slobbering to get it.

I got this the first time around. Some nice moments, particularly "The Looking Glass," but overall I have never been overally excited about this one. Always nice to hear Clifford Thornton. If you are a fan of this period, go for it, but those new to McPhee should start elsewhere. Sound isn't great, but it's acceptable.

Nice photo, Mark! (Thanks for the information, Margaret!)

I wish the prices of new hatOLOGY discs weren't so prohibitive. That, and the only local retailer who would carry them has closed shop.

Do you guys use jazzloft to purchase hat titles?

Late, thanks! .....and thanks to Margaret as well for posting!

m~

B. Clugston — where does your avatar come from? Any way we can see an enlarged version?

I think it's interesting that, this time around, Werner decided to put Clifford Thornton's name on the cover of the package. Poor Byron Morris — he was there too!

I rather liked the original cover ...

product-5931946.jpg

but I'm not going to complain ... the music's out again!

B. Clugston — where does your avatar come from? Any way we can see an enlarged version?

I think it's interesting that, this time around, Werner decided to put Clifford Thornton's name on the cover of the package. Poor Byron Morris — he was there too!

I rather liked the original cover ...

product-5931946.jpg

but I'm not going to complain ... the music's out again!

The avatar is a bizarre cover of a French 45 single of Ayler's New Generation/Heart Love. You can find a big version here on this excellent Ayler site: http://www.ayler.org/albert/html/newgen.html.

Speaking of covers, I'm with you on the original McPhee cover. With the exception of that brief phase of oddly cropped photos and split-sentenced type, I much prefer the look of the old hatArt 6000s. But if it's getting reissued, I can't complain...