Jazz Corner's Speakeasy

J.A.W.

After a 3-year hiatus I recently went back to Jazz Corner's Speakeasy to post some Mosaic release news (I support them any way I can :)) and noticed that there's not much traffic anymore. It used to be a busy place, but that seems to be a thing of the past. Anybody else notice this too? I'm asking because posting news like that doesn't make much sense if hardly anyone reads it.

Edited by J.A.W.

After a 3-year hiatus I recently went back to Jazz Corner's Speakeasy to post some Mosaic release news (I support them any way I can :)) and noticed that there's not much traffic anymore. It used to be a busy place, but that seems to be a thing of the past. Anybody else notice this too?

Lots of heated political discussion, not much music discussion. Now if I have a jazz query I'm more likely to post it here (another factor is that J.C. is blocked at work and dis heah site ain't). I didn't realize you were gone that long--at one time you were pretty active over there.

After a 3-year hiatus I recently went back to Jazz Corner's Speakeasy to post some Mosaic release news (I support them any way I can :)) and noticed that there's not much traffic anymore. It used to be a busy place, but that seems to be a thing of the past. Anybody else notice this too?

Lots of heated political discussion, not much music discussion. Now if I have a jazz query I'm more likely to post it here (another factor is that J.C. is blocked at work and dis heah site ain't). I didn't realize you were gone that long--at one time you were pretty active over there.

I didn't take part in the political discussions, since they're mainly about U.S. politics and policy, both domestic and abroad. As you say there's hardly any music discussion anymore, and that's where I was pretty active at the time. I never experienced it as a very friendly place; in the end the hostility from some members drove me away.

Edited by J.A.W.

in the end the hostility from some members drove me away.

It's sort of like the streets of Brooklyn (not Breukelen--and when I was growing up, before it became the hippest place in America :) ). But you weren't the target of hostility, were you?

Edited by Pete C

It's sort of like the streets of Brooklyn (not Breukelen).

:lol:

But you weren't the target of hostility, were you?

I was, I got quite a bit of flak from a couple of members (can't remember what it was about), but I certainly wasn't the only one.

Well...if I may.

The music discussion has been taken over by a particular group of folks who will get up in your face if you don't rubberstamp everything they like about their particular taste in music or artist. I left the SpeakEasy years ago for that very reason. I post on that forum occasionally, but mostly lurk. The other issue is there really isn't a whole lot to say about things anymore that hasn't already been said.

Nowdays, I just inhabit the Alley and Political forums....FWIW.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Very rarely peer into that Speakeasy these days...

Went there (also at AAJ and O.) back in 2003 when the old BNBB was brought to death. I stayed at the one which I found to be lively, friendly and informative.

I am not surprised at all about developments at Speakeasy. None of the topics seemed worthy of interest last time I checked in!

I liked JC and AAJ and got along with many members over there...but eventually arrived at the conclusion that my original home (organissimo by way of Blue Note) provides the most consistent source of the sort of music information I seek.

I liked JC and AAJ and got along with many members over there...but eventually arrived at the conclusion that my original home (organissimo by way of Blue Note) provides the most consistent source of the sort of music information I seek.

It's a bit calmer here, too...I might add.

It's sort of like the streets of Brooklyn (not Breukelen--and when I was growing up, before it became the hippest place in America :) ). But you weren't the target of hostility, were you?

Brooklyn was Breukelen once upon a time, right? So once again we can blame the Dutch!

The music discussion has been taken over by a particular group of folks who will get up in your face if you don't rubberstamp everything they like about their particular taste in music or artist.

I noticed that too. Aggressive bunch.

• 4 months later...

An update:

Now that certain internet characters have completely taken over and dominated the forums at JazzCorner, they have been spending their time lately denigrating me and justifying their complete lack of civility and collective posting responsibility [this on the heals of a gang cluster fuck and at the behest of the least circumspect posters on any BBS] with thread after post after baiting response in a clear effort to justify their own boorish behavior.

If I were any of you, I wouldn't post on that "it's all about me and if you have the gall to disagree, we'll come after your ass" BBS at gun point.

JazzCorner used to be a great place of Jazz and non-Jazz discussion. Now, it is just a good ol' boy toilet. To survive, you have to know three things: What to kiss, whose to kiss and when to kiss it. To do otherwise will bring a self-involved insult fest down on your head replete with personal attacks from the pumped-up egos who run anyone off they personally disagree with...then they'll blame you.

Organissimo, OTOH, is an oasis of clear-headed discussion and moderators with a wonderful sense of calm and discussion etiquette. I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who keep this place under control.

Personal responsibility is dead at JazzCorner. Avoid it at all cost.

Suck-ups, however, are more than welcome.

Edited by GoodSpeak

An update:

Now that certain internet characters have completely taken over and dominated the forums at JazzCorner, they have been spending their time lately denigrating me and justifying their complete lack of civility and collective posting responsibility [this on the heals of a gang cluster fuck and at the behest of the least circumspect posters on any BBS] with thread after post after baiting response in a clear effort to justify their own boorish behavior.

If I were any of you, I wouldn't post on that "it's all about me and if you have the gall to disagree, we'll come after your ass" BBS at gun point.

JazzCorner used to be a great place of Jazz and non-Jazz discussion. Now, it is just a good ol' boy toilet. To survive, you have to know three things: What to kiss, whose to kiss and when to kiss it. To do otherwise will bring a self-involved insult fest down on your head replete with personal attacks from the pumped-up egos who run anyone off they personally disagree with...then they'll blame you.

Organissimo, OTOH, is an oasis of clear-headed discussion and moderators with a wonderful sense of calm and discussion etiquette. I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who keep this place under control.

Personal responsibility is dead at JazzCorner. Avoid it at all cost.

Suck-ups, however, are more than welcome.

Wow! That sounds like a truly terrible, terrible place. I will definitely avoid it.

Thanks for saving my ass from a horrible encounter Goodspeak!

Speaking of boorish behavior, I could post numerous examples of yours from over there Goodspeak, so that your purer than the driven snow personna that you paint here can be offset with a little truth, which led to your being suspended for a time (on more than one occassion) over the there following one of your meltdowns.

I'd be happy to do that for you if you wish?

I'm not actually going to waste 1 minute of my time on you to do so, but it shouldn't be any surprize to anyone who may have observed you on chat boards, that your M.O. repeatedly as poor Mr. Victim goes wherever you reside.

Organissimo members.....you've been warned.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

You know, it is amazing how they still talk about me since I've been gone.

The insulting post #17 speaks volumes on the point I made earlier: JC is a good ol' boy toilet dominated by people who just don't get it. Blame first, think last.

Such is the nature of the Internet, I suppose.

May the Schwartz be with you :rolleyes:

Edited by GoodSpeak

I changed my mind.

See for yourself at the other place which is the topic of this thread.

You'll see, if so inclined, entire threads authored by poor Mr. Victim, including those purely intended to run other members down.

Find stuff over there at:

Search: Threads Started By: GoodSpeak

I didn't post this topic back in January to see it turn into a place for personal attacks and insults. Maybe one of the moderators could lock it.

I've seen what's going on over there. Can we please leave it over there?

My thoughts exactly.

I didn't post this topic back in January to see it turn into a place for personal attacks and insults. Maybe one of the moderators could lock it.

My thoughts exactly.

The author of this thread was making a simple observation.

Goodspeak continues to lurk there and reports here though his *eyes*

My ultimate retort is for those who wish to see for themselves, as he continues to harbor resentments.

I agree to leave it there, and Goodspeak here.

My thoughts exactly.

Yes indeed.