Sam Rivers Trio - Live

Justin V

I've been enjoying this album for the last week. The liner notes don't mention Lewis Worrell at all, but he is credited on the back of the digipak. I could be mistaken, but I don't hear two basses at any point during the recording. Does Worrell take the place of Cecil McBee or Arild Anderson at some point? If so, on what tracks? Thanks.

I was trying to figure out how this misattribution happened. I thought maybe it is because Worrell is on the Shepp Live in San Francisco which was a CD release in the same batch as the Rivers and the data migrated across (it can happen). His supposed presence on the CD sessions is often mentioned (!). I haven't been able to check the LP to see if that has correct info. It would be pretty luxurious trio-nomics to tour with two bassists and alternate them!

Is it possible that Worrell was miscredited on an lp release of Hues? I seem to remember seeing his name associated with a Rivers recording years ago.

I don't think so, but if I had access to my LPs I'd check. Can someone check please?

Well, Worrell's name is not on the old single-disc Hues album. There was a two-LP issue of some of Rivers' trio stuff at one point - I don't have that.

I don't know whether this means anything, but in the notes to Crystals, Rivers thanks a long list of musicians who were not on the record but had performed or rehearsed his pieces. Worrell's name isn't there.

Is it possible that Worrell was miscredited on an lp release of Hues? I seem to remember seeing his name associated with a Rivers recording years ago.

I don't think so, but if I had access to my LPs I'd check. Can someone check please?

Well, Worrell's name is not on the old single-disc Hues album. There was a two-LP issue of some of Rivers' trio stuff at one point - I don't have that.

I don't know whether this means anything, but in the notes to Crystals, Rivers thanks a long list of musicians who were not on the record but had performed or rehearsed his pieces. Worrell's name isn't there.

Well I also have the 2-LP version, but not to hand. This is a bad thing to get obsessed about. :huh:

Looking at that discography list I noticed he's credited on a Joe Cocker album. :crazy: Does anyone know what song or songs?

The song is "The Jealous Kind" from Stingray (1976), also on the Millennium collection. Sam is on soprano, though I'd never have guessed it was him.

from Wikipedia (cached, since the site is "black" today):

Personnel

* Joe Cocker - lead vocals, guitar

* Eric Clapton - guitar

* Cornell Dupree - guitar

* Steve Gadd - guitar, drums

* Eric Gale - guitar, arranger

* Albert Lee - guitar

* Gordon Edwards - bass

* Richard Tee - keyboards, organ, arranger, associate producer

* Sam Rivers - saxophone

* Felix "Flaco" Falcon - conga, percussion