The Great Box Set Sale of 2012

vibes

Hey everybody, I've got a ton of box sets that I'd like to sell, and I thought I would bring them here to give you the first shot at them before going to eBay. The majority of them are in mint condition; if not, I've listed details as to why not. I haven't been very active on the board in recent years, so if you're not familiar with me and are worried about my trustworthiness, my eBay ID is slbrownhk. I have 100% positive feedback with over 200 transactions as a buyer and a seller, so buy with confidence.

Payment via PayPal only--no exceptions. The prices below include insured shipping to a US address. I am happy to ship to foreign addresses at additional actual cost. Since international shipments cannot be insured, I will only do this at the buyer's risk. Please PM me if you're interested or if you have any questions. Thanks!

MOSAICS

1. The Complete Peggy Lee & June Christy Capitol Transcription Sessions: discs 1-2 played once, discs 3-5 still sealed. $70 SOLD

2. The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Art Blakey's 1960 Jazz Messengers: Each disc played twice. $170 $150 SOLD

3. Buddy Rich Argo, Emarcy and Verve Small Group Sessions: Sealed. $120 $110

4. Oliver Nelson - The Argo, Verve and Impulse Big Band Studio Sessions: Sealed. $100 $90 SOLD

5. Anita O'Day - The Complete Verve/Clef Sessions: Each disc played twice. $130 SOLD

6. Dizzy Gillespie - The Verve/Philips Small Group Sessions. Sealed. $120 $110

7. Roy Eldridge - The Complete Verve Studio Sessions. Mint--opened but never played. $135 $125 SOLD

8. Count Basie - The Complete Clef/Verve Fifties Studio Recordings. Sealed. $135 $125

9. Duke Ellington - The Reprise Studio Recordings. Each disc played twice. $90 SOLD

10. Johnny Hodges - Complete Verve Small Group Sessions 1956-61. Each disc played twice. $145 $130

11. Tal Farlow - Complete Verve Sessions. Each disc played twice. The inside of the flip case for discs 1/2 cracked and is missing a piece of plastic. No effect on the discs or functionality. $80 $70

12. Kenton Presents Bob Cooper, Bill Holman & Frank Rosolino. Each disc played twice. $80. $70 SOLD

13. The Complete Illinois Jacquet Sessions 1945-50. Each disc played twice. Glossy paper on front cover of the box has a small crease in the upper lefthand corner. $100 $90

14. The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions. Each disc played twice. $75 $70 SALE PENDING

15. The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of Gerald Wilson and His Orchestra. Each disc played twice. $100 $90 SALE PENDING

16. The Complete Blue Note Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Studio Sessions. Each disc played twice. $95. $85 SOLD

17. The Complete Blue Note 1964-66 Jackie McLean Sessions. Box has a bit of minor shelf wear. Each disc played twice. $125. SOLD

18. The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions 1963-66. Each disc played twice. One jewel case has some scratches on it, courtesy of the factory. $225 SOLD

19. The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Larry Young. Some minor shelf wear on the box and booklet, and bit heavier wear on the jewel cases. The tops of some CDs have marks, but the playing surfaces are in excellent condition, with very light scuffs/scratches only being visible on discs 2, 3, 4 (playback is not affected in any way). $275 $250

20. The Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Quintet/Sextet Studio Sessions. Each disc played twice. $65. SOLD

22. The Complete Capitol Live Recordings of George Shearing. Each disc played once. $150. $135

23. The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions. Each disc played once. $90. SOLD

24. The Complete Blue Note Lee Morgan Fifties Sessions. Each disc played once. $140. $125 SOLD

25. The Complete Blue Note Lou Donaldson Sessions 1957-60. Each disc played once. There are two 2" indentations on the front right edge of the box, and one 2" indentation on the front left side of the box (all courtesy of the factory). $75. SOLD

26. The Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones Sessions. Each disc played once. $200 $180

27. The Complete Roost Johnny Smith Small Group Sessions. Each disc played once. $115 $105

28. The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions. Each disc played once. $130 $120

29. The Complete Blue Note Horace Parlan Sessions. Each disc played once. $115 SOLD

30. The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions. Each disc played once. $90 $80

31. The Complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Sessions 1963-67. Each disc played once. $140 $125 SOLD

OTHER BOX SETS

32. Joe Henderson - The Milestone Years: Sealed. UPC is blackened out. No effect to discs or box condition. $50 $40

33. John Coltrane - The Prestige Recordings: Sealed. $125 $110

34. Miles Davis - Chronicle: The Complete Prestige Recordings 1951-1956. Each disc played once. $55 $45 SOLD

35. Bill Evans: The Complete Riverside Recordings. Mint condition--each disc played twice. Booklet appears to have shelf wear on the back, but it came this way and has never been read. $75 SOLD

36. Lee Morgan: Live at the Lighthouse. Each disc played once. $45. $35 SOLD

37. John Coltrane: The Heavyweight Champion - The Complete Atlantic Recordings. $50. $45 SOLD

38. Charles Mingus: The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-61. Each disc played once. $45. SOLD

39. Thelonious Monk: The Complete Riverside Recordings. Each disc played once. No box or large booklet, only the jewel cases and notes contained therein. Jewel cases show some signs of shelf wear. $60. $45 SOLD

40. Keith Jarrett: Mysteries - The Impulse Years 1975-76. Slipcase has a bit of minor shelf wear; everything else is in excellent condition. $75 $60 SOLD

41. Herbie Nichols: The Complete Blue Note Recordings. A tiny bit of shelf wear on the slipcase and a couple of jewel cases; discs have each been played once. $30. SOLD

42. Modern Jazz Quartet: The Complete Prestige & Pablo Recordings. Opened but never played. $40. $35 SOLD

43. The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets and Quintets with Oscar Peterson on Verve. Each disc played twice. $45. $35 SOLD

44. The Complete Wes Montgomery Riverside Recordings. Each disc played once. $90. SALE PENDING

Edited by vibes

It's directional information on the condition of the discs themselves, nothing more.

On what theory is played two times vs one time (or many more times) informative about condition? Discs played a thousand times are indistinguishable from discs played once, or never, if they are handled in such a way that they don't get dropped or scuffed in some way.

If these were LPs, "played once" means something (assuming there aren't any manufacturing flaws like "bubbles").

CDs, not so much.

It's directional information on the condition of the discs themselves, nothing more.

On what theory is played two times vs one time (or many more times) informative about condition? Discs played a thousand times are indistinguishable from discs played once, or never, if they are handled in such a way that they don't get dropped or scuffed in some way.

If these were LPs, "played once" means something (assuming there aren't any manufacturing flaws like "bubbles").

CDs, not so much.

I agree. I think it'd be more helpful to grade the sets and booklets the usual way ("very good", "excellent", "near mint"). There's an excellent grading system on another board:

Mint (M): Looks like the wrapper just came off. No marks of any kind anywhere on the complete package.

Mint minus (M-) or Near Mint (NM): Very near perfect playing surface and artwork. When held at an angle under extreme lighting you can see perhaps 1 or 2 very light scratches or pin dots.

Excellent (Exc.):CDs in this condition look used, but like they were taken good care of. Only a few very light scuffs can be seen when the disc is held at an angle to the light. The booklet and inserts are present and have only a few very minor flaws such as a slight bend or light fingerprints

Very Good plus (VG+): No more than 10 very light to light scratches between 1/8" and 2". Artwork has case dents or a crease. Plays perfectly.

Very Good (VG) : CDs in this condition are more for listening to than collecting. The disc is heavily scratched but can be played through without skipping. The booklet and inserts are present but heavily worn, and may include heavy fingerprints, bent corners, smudges, creases, case dimple marks, and writing.

Poor (P): Car CD or Cat toy

Another thought: it would also help to know how many CDs a box has.

Edited by J.A.W.

CDs, not so much.

I agree. I think it'd be more helpful to grade the sets and booklets the usual way ("very good", "excellent", "near mint"). There's an excellent grading system on another board:

Mint (M): Looks like the wrapper just came off. No marks of any kind anywhere on the complete package.

Mint minus (M-) or Near Mint (NM): Very near perfect playing surface and artwork. When held at an angle under extreme lighting you can see perhaps 1 or 2 very light scratches or pin dots.

Excellent (Exc.):CDs in this condition look used, but like they were taken good care of. Only a few very light scuffs can be seen when the disc is held at an angle to the light. The booklet and inserts are present and have only a few very minor flaws such as a slight bend or light fingerprints

Very Good plus (VG+): No more than 10 very light to light scratches between 1/8" and 2". Artwork has case dents or a crease. Plays perfectly.

Very Good (VG) : CDs in this condition are more for listening to than collecting. The disc is heavily scratched but can be played through without skipping. The booklet and inserts are present but heavily worn, and may include heavy fingerprints, bent corners, smudges, creases, case dimple marks, and writing.

Poor (P): Car CD or Cat toy

Another thought: it would also help to know how many CDs a box has.

Thanks, I'll take that all under advisement for the future. At this point in time, I have no plans to change any of the above descriptions, having listed in the introductory paragraph my opinion on what the condition of the sets is, with any deviation from that opinion listed with each individual set.

With a (more than) full-time job and over 500 auctions in the last two months, with thousands more to come, I don't have much more time I can invest in this. I'm happy to answer any questions that come my way about individual sets, however, and appreciate all inquiries.

Again, thanks.

Your descriptions are fine. I'd like to thank you for bringing these sets here before taking them to EBay, and at very reasonable prices. It's a sign of community building here at Organissimo.

Happy to do so, and thanks for the kind words. I hope they'll all find good homes with other board members. :tup