Lou Donaldson Quartet

Hardbopjazz

Tsuruga is the same organist I saw Donaldson with a few years ago at Yoshi's SF. If I recall correctly, Dr. Lonnie Smith mentored her. He's clearly a great teacher. I saw him perform on Saturday night at the Jazz Standard, actually. It was a great show, and afterward his adorable 8 or so year-old grandson who is apparently blind went up on stage and sat at the organ. He started to play and blew everyone away. Look out for that kid!

I was in NYC last week and was lucky enoug to see the Dr. on wed and thurs nights. Mind blowing. What a great band too...just going for it song after song...relentless. Amazing! He also played string arrangements on a controller and electric congas too...as if the organ wasn't enough. He made it all look effortless as always. Wow!

I managed to catch the first set Thursday night. Lou had laryngitis and didn't talk much, which resulted in the band playing more. He still played the same set of tunes that he always plays. I don't understand why. Lou arrived late and started to a sound check. He played How High the Moon and an Ellington tune. I was excited. I thought he was going to play these, but he didn't.