Do you want to play Herbie's Rhodes solo from 'Chameleon'?

tomogradymusic

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum - I've browsed in the past but thought it was time to join! Anyway, I can see that there are a lot of instrumentalists on here so I thought at least some of you might be interested in the scores of some of the transcriptions I've done. I love Herbie Hancock's Rhodes playing so I'm in the process of transcribing a lot of his best - I've already done 'You Bet Your Love', 'Magic Number', 'Come Running To Me', 'Sly' etc... I'm gradually converting them to video scores so you get the transcription along with a youtube video of me playing it on my suitcase Rhodes. Here's one of the best known - if you want to play Chameleon, please take a look and let me know what you think :D

CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO :D

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO SCORE :D

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by tomogradymusic

Welcome back, and welcome newbie!

Great transcription - I used to learn more from Herbie, rhythmically, than from any drummer or percussionist ....

Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome. I've taken the drums up for fun, but it's really struck me how everything ties in rhythmically - ghost notes on the snare, syncopated LH comping for instance - yeah, Herbie has an incredible sense of rhythm. Having transcribed a lot of his music from the 70's, I can see what a genius he is when it comes to using rhythm and time signatures - not many people would guess from listening that Chameleon has 7/8 bars in the bridge, or that Sly has an 11/8 bar, or that Heartbeat has bars in 5/4, 7/8, 9/8 ...It's all about feel - I hate obscure time signatures when they're used in an ostentatious way for effect, but the changes in Herbie's compositions are so natural in feel that you can't fail to be blown away.