Uri Caine

ghost of miles

I have only three of this pianist's CDs, but I've been re-visiting them and enjoying them greatly of late:

BLUE WAIL

SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK: TIN PAN ALLEY (a kind of concept album that attempts to recreate the sound of NYC musical life circa 1900)

TOYS

He's also present as a sideman on a number of other CDs that I have. I'm interested in his Mahler interpretations--anybody else out there a fan, or have any recommendations?

I love Uri Caine. He apparently played with Hank Mobley toward the end of his life, here in Philly, in the late 70's/early 80's. I say him with a crazy group playing his take on Back's Goldberg Variations--killer set. I love the recorded version of it as well. I had his Bedrock CD, which was fascinating in an out, late 70's Herbie kind of way, but left the disc (and many others) on a plane. I'm sure I'll never see them again... :( I've never heard him play straight-up jazz, but would jump at the chance to do so.

I love Uri Caine. He apparently played with Hank Mobley toward the end of his life, here in Philly, in the late 70's/early 80's. I say him with a crazy group playing his take on Back's Goldberg Variations--killer set. I love the recorded version of it as well. I had his Bedrock CD, which was fascinating in an out, late 70's Herbie kind of way, but left the disc (and many others) on a plane. I'm sure I'll never see them again... :( I've never heard him play straight-up jazz, but would jump at the chance to do so.

Peter, you might want to give BLUE WAIL a listen. It's closer to straight-ahead than many of Uri's other recordings, I'm told (I still haven't heard enough to say that myself).

Wild that he played with Mobley--I had no idea! I knew he was from Philly, but I didn't realize he'd been around that long.

• 3 years later...

I saw Uri Caine in Tel-Aviv a few weeks ago. He played with Don Byron and I really enjoyed it. So far I got only one Caine's CD in my collection: Solitaire, which is an amazing solo session, but one CD is definitely not enough and I plan to work on it. I'll remember your recommendations, ghost.

I think that "Sphere Music" and "Toys" are excellent jazz albums under Caine's leadership. I like his playing on Don Byron albums, such as "Bug Music."

I have not liked his classical albums--just a matter of personal taste. After hearing the original classical works many times due to my wife's interest in classical music, I find Caine's Bach and Mahler albums to be beyond "creative" and to verge on pretentious weirdness for weirdness' sake. Again, that's just me.

I've never heard him play straight-up jazz, but would jump at the chance to do so.

Check out his "Live at the Village Vanguard" CD on Winter & Winter for a fine display of his straight ahead prowess.

Aside from this one and "Toys" I don't have any of his other recordings, but I think he's a phenomenal pianist. I dig his work on the electric keys with Dave Douglas as well.

He was a prodigy in Philly, and he played with plenty of stars when v young.

I've got the Diabelli Variations disc here - my favourite of the classical bugger-abouts. I've seen him a couple of times in a straightahead trio context, and I found him a bit cut and paste, though good at it of course.

He's good on the early Dave Douglas stuff too. All these 'goods', but I gave him a bad Wire writeup once, when I was young and bitter.

Edited by umum_cypher

• 1 month later...

This will be coming out in a couple of months:

http://www.winterandwinter.com/index.php?id=49

Uri Caine Ensemble

»Otello Syndrome«

910 135-2 [1 CD]

Uri Caine continues his series of adaptations with Verdi's »Otello«. For the first time Caine arranges a dramatic work with a mixture of stage and concert elements. Verdi's operatic story is the central thread through the composition, but Uri Caine equally cites from Shakespeare's original play. Arias are juxtaposed with R 'n' B elements, BeBop and electronic sounds, but Verdi's famous melodies do never loose their authenticity.

• 2 years later...

I think Mr. Caine's adaptations are intelligent and cute.

I hate cute.

I disagree. While the adaptations vary in success, the best of them -- especially the Mahler recordings -- are richly conceived and pulsate with possibilities. I heard the Mahler stuff in person and it was satisfying on every level -- emotionally, intellectually, formally, improvisationally, etc. Whatever flaws they may have, I would not describe them as "cute," though if that's how you hear it -- well, live and let live, yes?

But perhaps we can agree on this: Your phraseology is reminiscent of this classic bit of television:

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 2 weeks later...